Shovelnose vs. Lake Sturgeon

• shayla

Help me out, I see people calling what I believed to be small Lake Sturgeon “Shovelnoses”. What’s the difference? How big do Shovelnoses get? It just seems to me that younger Lake Sturgeon have longer pointy noses than when they mature and could be misidentified? The Mn. fishing regs. don’t show pictures identifying the two species. Do shovelnoses only inhabit certain rivers???

hanson

Here’s a photo of a small Lake Sturgeon to help you out.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The tail on shovelnose sturgeon are about the size of a pencil and dont get larger than about 36″. I have caught a few shovelnose that didnt have the stringy extension off the tail(worn off).

If the tail section(meat area) is thicker its a lake sturgeon.

shayla

Thanks guys, I know I have it figured out now; but what Hanson is holding in his picture is EXACTLY what I have witnessed people calling a shovelnose! Just because it has a longer snout doesn’t make it a shovelnose. Maybe they should rename it to threadfin sturgeon?

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, guys. I just want to emphasize that people identify their fish properly before reducing it to limit.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

so what is the differance between a small shovel nose and small lake sturgeon? Im sure I have been calling them all shovel nose.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Mike..

Look at Hanson’s picture closely. Look at his right hand near the tail. The tail of the fish is much larger diameter than his pointer finger. If that were a shovelnose, it would be maybe half the diameter of his finger.

I have some pictures of shovelnose here.. I will have Sherry scan them and post them later when she has the chance. Once you see them side by side its obvious.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wow. That answers the question. Think I have been catching alot more lake sturgeon than I thought.

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Another Shovelnose…

This isn’t the photo Dave had in mind. His friend caught one the same day and we think the picture is a little better. I’ll keep searching for that pic, but I think you are getting the idea now.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Good thread guys, a bunch of us learned something here. Boy those Shovelnose are strange looking fish! Thanks for the good info and great pictures.

Rootski

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Cute little buggers!

So…anyone know how to prepare them for a meal…since there’s a 10 fish limit??

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I like them cut into steaks and smoked

Nickers1234

Any thoughts as to this species? I believe it’s a shovelnose sturgeon, a pretty big one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Yep a shovelnose. The MN and WI record is around 5-6 pounds.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.