eyes

• predator_2

Any of you cat guys ever get big eyes on chubs?

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

no, I think that most the spots I flathead fish are not typically walleye hangouts.. the smaller ones are probally afraid of bieng lunch…. but I have cought them fishing for channel cats, retrieving or checking the baite,,, I actually cought one on a dipworm once (reeling in to check biate)

bigtime
    North Carolina

I caught a 5-6lb walleye on a bullhead last saturdayon pool 3 while fishing flatheads. I couldn’t figure out why the fish I hooked wasn’t fighting at all, then I saw it was a walleye and all my questions where answered. Then I put the walleye on for bait but a Flathead is to smart to eat one of those rough fish :o) (everything is true up untill I used it for bait just kidding about that)

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

When fishing flats with my brother he caught a 6+lb. grey finned log. ) He caught that on crawler. The only pole that did not have a bullhead on it. It is common around here to catch walleye on willowcats which is a small 2-3″ bullhead.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Caught a 2-3 channel on Pool 2 yesterday on a shap rap cranking for walleyes. Caught another 2 smaller ones on jigs and fatheads. I like catching cats, I usually only fish for walleye, but if I am catching them walleye fishing, I would think a “cat guy” could really clean up!

Cyclone
    Minnesota, New Brighton

I was talking to a kid the other day named Zach Butler who says you love fishin eyes, and by the way did you guys see any Japneese Sidewinders for the fireworks display? Ha Ha

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

Just curious , where do you Cat guys get your Bullheads for bait? How big or small would you normally use?

bigtime
    North Carolina

I catch mine on a jig tipped with a piece of crawler in a creek that enters a lake near my home. they are usually 5 to 10 inches long

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

Usually I get bullheads from small creeks, lakes/swamps, or backwater areas. Some places you can’t find any yet others hold as many as you feel like catching. Usually areas with swift current and still water nearby holds lots of bullheads, you almost always have better results fishing in the evening for them with worms. A 5″-7″ bullhead is dynamite bait for various predators, including northerns (I’ve had great success using bullheads for northerns and even walleye will take one when nothing else is working). Make sure you clip off their spines, it will increase your chances.

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

I go to a metro pond three blocks from my house. I throw a piece of bread in the water, and within 30 seconds hundreds of bullheads are at the surface. I just take a net and scoop 10 to 20 up, and then i throw out the larger ones. takes me 5 minutes at most.

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

Thanks guys for the excellent info. I’m going to give it a try and see what happens. I’ve got a good spot I can round up some “bullies”. What time of night is usually best? If I go out at 9:00 pm and stay til midnight will I catch any..?

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

I’ve never fished for them after dark, the best time is from late afternoon until the sun goes down.

Leadhead
    Marine on St. Croix

Thanks Carp Guy , that’s music to my ears. I hate fishing for anything after dark. By the way , there is a group of people up in my area that fly fish for carp. A lot of these guys go south for the winter and are really into bone fishing the Florida Keys. They say chasing these carp in shallow water is very similar to the Bone fishing they do down there. They get up high and pole through the backwaters looking for fish and throw flies ahead of them….

dball
    Clemson, SC

I caught a couple minutes of a fishing show this weekend where the guy was using 6″ chubs in the fall for Walleyes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.