transporting bullheads for bait

• jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

If I go catch some Bullheads at the local pond and then fish with those Bullheads on pool 2… Is that legal? I think possession is 100 and length no longer than 9.99 inches, but not sure about transportation laws and bait laws here in Minnesota. Thanks in advance

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

If its from a body of water that is non infested your good to go. But fill up your bucket with some hose water before catching them. Your (supposed to) also dump your water when you leave the body of water your on.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

288 7 inches or less Plus 100 more between 7 and 10 inches.

Let me know if you get too close to that 388 number. LOL!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Up to 100 bullheads, 7-10 inches in length, may be taken and possessed for use as live bait. Legal methods of taking include dip net, angling or minnow seines. Live bullheads must be transported in a container with a locking lid to prevent escape. These bullheads are considered part of the possession limits on pages 35, 68-73, and 75-76. Bullheads less than 7 inches in length are considered minnows and fall under those regulations.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Reason I ask is I had 2 cops harassing me at the pond saying what I was doing was illegal. I had to tell them multiple times that I was catching bullheads not catfish. They said catching catfish for bait was illegal and transporting them was illegal too. After 10 minutes or so they went away. I sat around waiting for a DNR to show up but they never did

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hah! I’m glad I wasn’t there!!

I would have bent over and asked them if they could help me take my plug out!

I say that with all due respect.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d have either pulled the regs up on my phone or called the DNR myself. The only thing worse than ignorance is ignorance with power.

Almericus

So as long as the body of water you caught them isn’t infested you can use them anywhere? All this time I thought I could only use them in the same water they were caught. This changes everything!!!! Any advice about keeping them alive?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.