Channel cats biting?

• Almericus

I’m hoping to get out this week on a shallow river. Curious if the water temps are too low for them to be awake? I use shrimp during the summer with low water levels. Any advice on bait for deeper/faster water? Mostly looking for the channel cats.

Fishing the cannon river more than likely. If that helps.

robby
    Quad Cities

Where abouts are you planning on fishing? Meaning way up north or down south. Any idea what the water temperature is? Just need a bit more information. People post here from all over.

BBKK
    IA

Damn cats are stealing my leeches while walleye fishing. Guys are saying how hard they are to catch this year because of all the dead shad… maybe try not using shad for bait then? They are biting, you just have to find them.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

They were on fire yesterday on the mississippi. Caught around 30 of em.
    Water was 57.1

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Pool 4 is heating up as well.

The guys catching them are using Sudden Impact, Secret 7, Sonny’s, fresh cut sucker and a few dead and live fatheads on a circle hook.

I’ve found shrimp does work better in warmer water but if it’s placed close to a cat there isn’t any reason they wouldn’t take it now.

If you go to your MY HOME, then down to the first EDIT, there’s a place to type in a location. Members don’t have to be specific but at least having an area helps when asking for information as above.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Water temps on the cannon are still pretty cold, but I did see a few asians snagging them….so they’re around…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

If you saw PEOPLE snagging them, I would suggest calling the tip line whether it was channels or anything else.

Just my two cents.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

If you saw PEOPLE snagging them, I would suggest calling the tip line whether it was channels or anything else.

Just my two cents.

X2

Almericus

That’s too bad. I saw a video on here of how vulnerable they are when they are wintering. I might hold off and try Tuesday evening after a nice hot day. Probably mention how it goes on here.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The video was of flathead cats. They can be caught now, just have to work a bit harder for them.

Channel cats (what I was talking about) can be caught all year as they don’t have a wintering period. They are on the chew now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Fishing the cannon river more than likely. If that helps.

Just saw your edit. Go fishing!

wes_bergemann
    Crystal, MN

They were biting very well down by Mankato this past weekend. They are well fed though. Even the males were footballs.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Tip line was called.

Good Job!

Almericus

So I jumped the gun and went out late Monday evening. Caught a few carp just after sun down. Hung around for a few hours trying chicken liver and shrimp with no luck. Probably should have waited for warmer weather and gone a bit earlier. I’m still trying to find a decent shore spot and have started looking to the Saint Croix. Has anyone fished the King plant this year?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was out on Monday and last evening as well.

P4 Channel Cat Update<<

I’m not sure where your fishing, but they are out there.

Almericus

I’m going to try the king plant confluence when I can. Just curious if I should be walking to the point farthest away from the discharge (pretty much just tossing it out as far as i can into the saint croix) or casting into the white water closer to it for flatheads? I feel like they would sit sit just inside the confluence where the water is calm and the river current is weakest. I guess I’m a newbie….. HALP!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I know the warmer the water the more they move, Id try shallower water that the sun hits and has a chance to warm it up, a few degrees makes a big difference sometimes.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

I’m not near the Mississippi but yes they are biting down here in tributaries near the Missouri River. They seem to be in the shallow.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.