Catalytic converter theft

• sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Just do what I do
    Remove the tires, place the truck on blocks, leave the windows down.
    If you get it low enough, they can not take your converter..

Attachments:
    1. 189560B8-7D68-490C-BB1E-7F8C4E103DE4.jpeg

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

I wonder if I should start taking the keys out of my truck?

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Where is the market for them? Seems suspicious there are places buying so many of these things? What’s the deal?

A quick google search and looks like the particles in the cat can create drugs.

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    Where is the market for them? Seems suspicious there are places buying so many of these things? What’s the deal?

They are being sold to recycling centers for the precious metals inside them. People are getting around $200 a piece/ maybe more depending on what vehicle they are from.
    DT

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Hmm never heard of that before. The internet has everything I guess. shock

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Simple answer.

Use your own sawzall to lop off their legs as they lay under your vehicle, and then hang them in your yard as a warning to all future thieves as to what will happen if they attempt to jack your cat.

JEREMY
    BP

There is obviously shady folks at the recycling center they are selling them at. I called the one down the road cause i have a few at work i need to get rid of and they said i need proof of repair and a business license

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Used to be I’d get a call about a cat converter stolen once every few months, now it’s one if not more per week. And as someone else stated the cost and timeframe to get it replaced has increased dramatically, someone last week said at least 2 weeks and $4k for a regular car/suv. Also, had someone’s car window broken out and robbed in broad daylight at a super busy park, 20 witnesses but no one intervened, criminals got away, and the cops didn’t come just had them fill out a report online. Which I agree with Matt and others, your stuff is not worth getting in a deadly confrontation over. But it’s a sad day when neither the police nor a good Samaritan seem willing to do anything to help one another out.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It is sad Werm. We have gotten to a point where if someone does step in and the wrong things happen they could be in trouble. Not saying we need the wild west, but there was a day you could stop a criminal and be justified doing it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

For those asking if its worth stabbing or shooting someone over a stolen car part… ask the thief that question, they are the ones doing it. Holes in fuel tank bottoms is coming next… they don’t siphon anymore, they drill a hole in the plastic tank… that way it costs you a tow, new tank and vehicle down for a week or so. In Maui, they hit a hearse 2 weeks in a row, we installed a new tank… after a couple weeks wait for the part, they picked up and the next day was back… hole in the new tank again… a hearse.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They did that to a church van a number of years ago.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It is sad Werm. We have gotten to a point where if someone does step in and the wrong things happen they could be in trouble. Not saying we need the wild west, but there was a day you could stop a criminal and be justified doing it.

That is what I was getting at earlier in this thread. I may have misrepresented myself initially. Standing there watching is not an option and using physical force is not an option, calling the police is not an option (immediately), what are we to do?

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>canoebasser wrote:</div>

Hmm never heard of that before. The internet has everything I guess. shock

That’s not what they are doing with them though. They are selling them to make money.
    DT

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Wouldn’t be worth it for the vehicle I drive, but doesn’t insurance cover the loss if your catalytic convertor is stolen?

If you have full coverage yes.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Wouldn’t be worth it for the vehicle I drive, but doesn’t insurance cover the loss if your catalytic convertor is stolen?

Yes they do but im guessing for most folks that means you have to pay your $500 deductible. Plus you will be waiting 3-5 weeks for the part to arrive meaning you are down that vehicle for that amount of time. Also, there have been multiple reports that the crooks will continue to target the same vehicles over and over so you are essentially on their hit list

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

There is obviously shady folks at the recycling center they are selling them at. I called the one down the road cause i have a few at work i need to get rid of and they said i need proof of repair and a business license

Exactly this. Get control of the illegal/shady market and this problem all but disappears.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigfatcroixbaby wrote:</div>

Yes they do but im guessing for most folks that means you have to pay your $500 deductible. Plus you will be waiting 3-5 weeks for the part to arrive meaning you are down that vehicle for that amount of time. Also, there have been multiple reports that the crooks will continue to target the same vehicles over and over so you are essentially on their hit list

The criminal that hits them again better hope they opted to have a dealer converter installed, if it is aftermarket they don’t have the same amount of precious metals and are worth pennies on the dollar compared to the OE converter.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JEREMY wrote:</div>

Exactly this. Get control of the illegal/shady market and this problem all but disappears.

This was common practice when we would get a pile at the dealership.. had to show that we were a repair facility and they also took a copy of whoever dropped them off’s license. Now manufacturers have a core on them so dealers selling as scrap has dropped dramatically.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

If mine gets stolen it gives me a reason to order long tube headers and the off-road Y pipe from Texas Speed. Costly? yes. So is cat replacement on these trucks that have multiple cats.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

For those asking above, it’s a platinum catalyst that they’re after. Pt affords a healthy price at the recycling centers.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If mine gets stolen it gives me a reason to order long tube headers and the off-road Y pipe from Texas Speed. Costly? yes. So is cat replacement on these trucks that have multiple cats.

I eliminated my cats and went full exhaust back from the headers when my truck was brand new. Let that baby breath

Paul D
    Roseville

I see no reason why a baseball bat to the lower extremities wouldn’t stop the process of the theft. I mean, as long as they’re still under the vehicle cutting and what not.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

KPE wrote:

I eliminated my cats and went full exhaust back from the headers when my truck was brand new. Let that baby breath

This must have been almost a free upgrade after you sold your cat you removed.

These thieves are in and out so fast they almost never work alone.

404 ERROR
    MN

I may know a thing or two about cats and have sold many of them (all legal).

No, people aren’t crushing them in their garage. Scrap yards pay next to nothing as they can be filled with fillers and they have very little resources to test the “dust”…

Yes, it’s platinum, but also Rhodium and other precious metals they’re after.

There are core buyers all over the place. It’s an unfortunate part of the business, but there is almost no way of knowing if it was stolen or not. When a legitimate shop scraps them, they cut them out just like the thieves do, assuming there isn’t a core charge on the replacement. So in short, yes. It may look suspicious that someone brings in 10-15 cats at a crack for scrap. But that doesn’t mean they’re stolen. Demo derby guys or even beater car drivers both have a legitimate reason for selling multiple cats.

Cats don’t belong in my house, my garage or my driveway. Nothing I own has them anymore… devil

if you think cats are expensive, price out DPF cores.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KPE wrote:</div>

Every Hemi should come with catalytic converter delete as an option.

Ecoboost need not apply.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am curious, for those who remove the catalysts and such, do you admit on the back of the title when you sell or trade, that it has been removed ? When any dealers in Mn get trade ins with the system removed, before we can re-sell them, the whole system needs to be re-installed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I am curious, for those who remove the catalysts and such, do you admit on the back of the title when you sell or trade, that it has been removed ? When any dealers in Mn get trade ins with the system removed, before we can re-sell them, the whole system needs to be re-installed.

Admit on the title. No. Tell the buyer and show them the upgrades absolutely. I’m always proud of the work I have done, and when I sell I list every item upgraded and deleted. Plus when playing with the tuner you need to listen to the hemi breath. And if I didn’t do that, then laying in bed I wouldn’t know if my auto start worked. Either would my neighbors

Rick Z
    Stark MN

I cannot believe you all leave your CAT laying around for anyone to violate.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 136 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.