Petenwell Dam Pigs

• wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

We awoke today to some crappy looking weather, so we decided to wait to fish until afternoon. At 12:30 it looked like there was still going to be 20+ mph south winds, but we left home by 1pm anyway. After a few stops, we were on the water at 2:30. After one failed anchoring attempt we reanchored.

On my second cast a fat 16″ male eye crushed my blade bait. We picked off a few scrubs and some white bass over the next few hours. Finally the wind died down and allowed us to sit where we orignally intended to anchor.

Leave it to my dad AKA Captain Blade Bait (better known on IDO as CLWUENSCH) to make about 3 casts before I hear drag screaming. The next thing I know, one of the heaviest fish I’ve ever seen was in the net. At just over 27″ this fish weighed a solid 9lbs. A few pics were taken and she was released.

On the very next cast I hear his drag scream again. The fight lasted about 1 minute when this big fish came unbuttoned. Not two casts later I hooked up on a pig, which also came unbuttoned. Things quieted down for the next half hour or so until I stuck the twin of the first pig. Another one just over 27″ and 9lbs.

We finished the day keeping a few for the pan. Not too bad for a 3-1/2 hour trip. Best part was, no live bait even made it into the boat today.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Love the gold color!

Pat Howard
    Sparta Wi

No long arming needed there Great fish Guys

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

Nice fish boys! I guess it really paid to change your mind today and go. Curt you need smaller mits so those fish look a little bigger on camera.

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

I forgot to ask were they all on blades today?

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Quote:

Yes sir. That’s how we roll.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Beautiful fish guys

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Quote:

Love the gold color!

Am I reading this right?

Nice fish men.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Nice fish guys. Looks like you must have left Pat “The bite killer” Howard at home.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice fish guys!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

Quote:

Yes sir. That’s how we roll.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Nice fish, I’ve fished the MWC down there years back, would be nice to get down there again.

JimChellevold
    Wi, Crawford Cty

Great couple of eyes fellas

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Nice fish but could you please hold them a little closer to your bodies? That’s bigtroy and bigsack in the background

adamczak
    Tomah,wi

Nice fish, watched him land the first 27″er great fish, and nice of you to notice that it was us in the back ground Shane.

adamczak
    Tomah,wi

Hey Shane if I’m not mistaken that’s me in the back ground fighting a monster of a 14″er. I will say that fish was a pig and all of 9#. Great job guys…..guess I need to get some blade baits and give the plastic a rest, heading to Nekoosa with Big Troy on Saturday will post so nice pictures I hope.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I didn’t know that was you guys or we would’ve introduced ourselves. Anybody who’s willing to babysit Targa and Pat is ok with me.

adamczak
    Tomah,wi

Yeah, we have to take Targa along everyonce in a while to see if he still know’s how to catch fish. My partner aka BigTroy was having a hard time getting the hook in them on Sunday…..Good to see some big girls up there….I have not seen to many that size up by the dam in the 10 years that I’ve been fishing it let alone 2 landed by the same bout with in minutes of each other. great job.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Quote:

My partner aka BigTroy

I had no idea.

adamczak
    Tomah,wi

Yeah he left you for me, he just forgot to let you know…..but you to seem to both be in the same class when it comes to fishing alot of swings and misses…… Just kidding.

adamczak
    Tomah,wi

If you can remove all sexual overtones from partner than I’m your fishing partner.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

You two did look pretty comfortable in that little blue boat. Maybe a few more color stripes on it would make it look like a rainbow

adamczak
    Tomah,wi

I’d tell you the name of the boat, but I’d rather not get band. Hey I have never fished with blade baits, so how were you using them. Where you ripping them or just bringing them in slowly and letting the current do the work. That’s what we were doing with the jig and plastic.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Sack i’ll show you tomorrow. I got the info on them. I hope us fishing together does not put a strain on you and Troy’s relationship though. Seeya a little before six g@y wad…

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Sack i’ll show you tomorrow. I got the info on them. I hope us fishing together does not put a strain on you and Troy’s relationship though. Seeya a little before six g@y wad…

Targa, You might need a longer rod to make up for the vertical problem. Other wise you won’t get that blade to vibrate. That’s what Marshall told me any ways.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

a little before six g@y wad…

I haven’t heard that since the 90’s

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.