Castle Rock Visit July 17-22

• radioflyer

We’ll be visiting Castle Rock for the first time next week.
    Using maps and chips we’ll see whats up. Planning on Jigging and Three ways. We’ll also toss some tubes, senko’s and fun stuff for bass. If we need to set up for trolling it would be without boards. Sunday we’ll boat around and mark some spots and hit it Monday morning. ( you know we’ll be fishing Sunday anyway,,) We’re staying on the SW side. What shops have good leeches? Oh,, and most important,,, What are your favorite supper clubs and Fishfry locations in the area. AND,, any color, lure etc hints will be appreciated. One way or the other we’ll post some pictures when we return. Thanks,, really enjoy these forums.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Welcome to IDO radioflyer I bet I know what your hobby is

Hang in there and the pros from that area will chime in,I’m sure of it!
    I have only ice fishied the area a few times. The third time was a charm for us.

Glad to have you abaord and I’m looking forward to your report

radioflyer

On Tuesday July 19th the surface temp. in Castle Rock reached 90.1 F.

Oh and the cabin we were staying at had no AC.

On Sunday the 17th we threw, tubes, cranks and lipless cranks on the rocks on the yellow river side up to the Buckhorn Bridge. SMALL smallies, shorts, cats, whites and drum. Also did some jigging in the Channel and caught a few nice crappie. On Monday we worked from the main lake back and things got worse. Spent more time jigging and caught a mixed bag but the numbers were even lower. We began to see a thermocline setting up at about 20 ft. in the main lake.
    By Friday it was a solid mass on the graphs.

On Tuesday we met with Larry Smith. HOT HOT HOT and not a breath of wind. Main Laker green with algea. Fishing was very slow. We tried everything with little success. We gave up and worked th riprap for smallies about 3:30 pm but that was extremely slow also. Finally about 4:00pm Larry spotted some whites working the surface and in about 15 minutes we boated 23 whites.

The next few days were about the same. Found some large cats at the tressle and a bunch of REAL shorts. DID I MENTION NO AC IN THE CABIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Friday we started at the Dam. They were drawing water and we had some fun with cats shorts and whites along the riprap. We went out to the hump near the dam and again had some luck until something hit my wifes jig and we had a 10 minute tussle with a 15 pound carp. (She also boated the largest, catfish, drum and white of the trip.) Later in the day we pulled some Berkely Frenzys in the Yellow for a couple of shorts. First Time trolling for walleye. 150HP Etec slowed down to about 2.5 mph. I should have jacked the motor up and trimmed it,, just didn’t think about it at the time.

It was not a great fishing trip but it was a ball on the lake. We just opened up the motor and spead around the lake at 60mph blowing the sweat off our bodies. Met some nice people, had some nice dinners and spent a lot of time in the lake swimming. (not much algea in the Yellow river area)

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Thanks for the report. Come back in the fall and you’ll have a blast fishing out there.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Yep, hot sucks!
    It stills sounds like you made the best of it and found some fish to play with.
    Thanks for the report and great job getting after them

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.