Carport For My Boat?

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Right now I park my boat alongside my garage on an asphalt pad. I don’t have money or space to build another garage or stall. But I do want to protect my boat from the elements. Thinking a carport might be a good option. Not even sure where to start. Has anyone had one made? Got a kit on your own? Where should I start? What should I anticipate for a budget? I am thinking 12×20 or 12×22 would be good size. Thoughts?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I explored the idea for a while. Google RV/carports. There are a ton of internet companies that offer option of them installing or you installing. The sites let you design size and side or roof options. It spits out pricing based on your design options.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Menards has those. You can get enclosed, open, doors etc. Anyway you want.

Sam
    St.Francis

they sell the tarp style ones too for like 300 bucks they are pretty nice and portable

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Most places don’t address footing requirements. In snow and wind zones they can be substantial. In my zone they are 24″ in dia. and 3′ deep.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I would stay away from the tarp style. I had one before I bought my current house with a garage. It was pretty much destroyed in a wind storm.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been looking at a similar carport setup for my tractor at my hunting property.

The tarp styles I can’t see ever holding the snow load and as targa says the wind is going to be an issue sooner or later.

Menards sells prefab carport kits, but the issue I found was the price jacks way up as you go to a model that’s wide enough for a boat to be backed in easily. That was the issue with my tractor, the machine is 8 feet wide exactly, so a 10 foot wide carport is even snug. 1 foot on either side? Pretty tight as I was going to enclose the sides and back as well.

The pre fab prices can be really high as well. I think I’m going to build one with treated base and make my own rafters to get the cost down by about 30% and then I can go any width I want.

Also, as mentioned, check building regulations.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Check with Eelpoutguy.

I have a asphalt pad that I have a leanto over…who knew I would have a boat that wouldn’t fit under it because the roof is too low?

I’m looking at next year to make changes but EP had some very good ideas that didn’t break the granddaughters piggy bank.

blank

I’m on my 2nd summer with one of the round top Shelter Logic “tarp style” garage-in-a-box, but went with the thicker 9 mil tarp compared to the 5.5 and 7 mil that you often see in the sales flyers, and I believe because of the thicker tarp I also got larger diameter pipes. It works great for my boat. Snow wasn’t really a problem last winter. When it was heavy snow, and more than an inch or two, I did clear it off. Wind is certainly something to consider, but for me, my yard is pretty well protected from any strong winds and it’s pretty well shaded so I’m not concerned with the sun degrading it too quickly. For the price ($600, and that wasn’t even on sale) it fits my storage needs perfectly.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’m definitely not looking for the tarp style canopy. I want to get metal top. Not sure that I’ll do sides. For sure not at first, as budget it key.

I didn’t think about footings, but I suppose that’s something I can do. I want a 12×20 or 12×22. It needs to go right up against my house. I’d like to see a lean-to style picture. I don’t want to look redneck. I have neighbors and a wife. I’d like to keep at least one part of that equation.

munchy
    NULL

Show a builder this picture and say “make it”.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3117.jpg

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I would build a lean over putting up a kite any day. I call the carports kites because after the rain saturated the ground, my stakes pulled up and away it went over the neighbor’s car.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN
    Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

X2 with talking to eelpoutguy. He just did the roof on my house and I couldn’t be happier.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

That does look nice. What would something like that cost?

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

Just guessing here.
    50/hr x2 guys @ 8 hrs – 800
    Wood – 100
    Siding/Trim – 100
    Shingles – 100
    Small project fee – 200

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishinfreaks wrote:</div>

Just guessing here.
    Wood – 100
    Siding/Trim – 100
    Shingles – 100
    Small project fee – 200

Small project fee rotflol bad as the mechanics and there shop charge.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishinfreaks wrote:</div>

Just guessing here.
    Wood – 100
    Siding/Trim – 100
    Shingles – 100
    Small project fee – 200

I’d guess closer to quotes coming in around $7,500
    4 concrete footings – $800
    Labor & Permits – $2,000
    Wood & Hardware – $400
    Siding, Trim, Soffit & Fascia – $300
    Shingles – $500
    CYA Fee – $1,000
    General Contractor $2500

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Don’t forget about the crane, toilets, job trailer, etc.

Find the guy on your block that frames houses and have him and his buddy come over on a saturday and knock that thing out.

Jensen

Just had my canvas top rip off in wind on my shelterlogic. Anyone ever tried a more permanent Solution like corrugated sheet metal?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

All the channels on metal seem to be going horizontally vs vertically. Wouldn’t that be a issue with snow sliding off?

Jensen

Yeah that was what I was thinking so seeing if anybody had a real life experience with it. Placing a canvas cover on every year is getting old.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

A neighbor at the lake used wide valley sheet metal when his boat lift canvas top rotted.
    I would look at using hat channel metal furring strips as purlins / girts & then the pole barn steel could be ran vertical.
    The hat channel is lighter than dimension lumber.

Tom schmitt

I would like to put something up for my boat, but the city of Lakeville won’t allow them if they are visible from the street and I don’t have the 10’ from the property line for a permanent structure.
    Better check your city ordinances before putting something up.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Sometimes it is easier to ask for and receive forgiveness than it is permission.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sometimes it is easier to ask for and receive forgiveness than it is permission.

Not always. Inspectors like to creep around and inspect

LabDaddy1

Our shelterlogic is a bit*h and a half to maintain.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Our shelterlogic is a bit*h and a half to maintain.

Yes, the combination of snow load and UV degrading the tarp finally got mine this winter.

I didn’t have time to do my original plan posted above. I needed something fast so I did the ShelterLogic option.

It worked for 3 years but uv always rots those plastic covers eventually.

I’m going to keep the metal frame and cover it with steel panels this spring. The total cost is basically the cost of replacing the tarp twice.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230305_160057559-scaled.jpg

buschman
    Pool 2

I built this at my place last fall. Very happy with it and believe I was under 2500.00. 22×10. I would have to check receipts but you can keep it under 3000.00 no problem if you are doing it yourself. Hiring this out will double that cost. It was a bit of work but very doable. Mine is not perfect but has been great.

10 inch footing with 6×6 cedar post. All the framing is 2×8 pine at 16 inch center. Most important or challenging part for me was properly setting the ledger plate. I set the plate at the same time I did the siding on our home so it was all properly set, sealed and trimmed.

Attachments:
    1. roof-2.jpg

2. roof.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.