Carport For My Boat?

• FinickyFish

Buschman if you happen to have any plans drawn up for that for permitting I would love to see them. I have the same roofline situation and want to do exactly what you did in those pics. My shelterlogic gave out this summer after about 4 years. Wasnt bad for $200-300.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

“2×8 pine” (is that treated pine?) or,
    (SPF or DF?)

Jensen

Got a temporary tarp on now until snow subsides a bit. Grouse let me know how it turns out that is exactly my plans on mine as well.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Got a temporary tarp on now until snow subsides a bit. Grouse let me know how it turns out that is exactly my plans on mine as well.

Will do. I’ll get on it as soon as the snow melts. Which should be about July …

buschman
    Pool 2

Buschman if you happen to have any plans drawn up for that for permitting I would love to see them. I have the same roofline situation and want to do exactly what you did in those pics. My shelterlogic gave out this summer after about 4 years. Wasnt bad for $200-300.

I worked with the inspector on the ledger plate. It worked out nice because I was siding at the time so was able to get that in place at the same time. I will look but believe I trashed/deleted all the plans I had drawn up. Looking now.

Denny, what is DF? Douglas Fir?

Alagnak1

Well, I’ve got the first guy looking at mine today for a quote. I wouldn’t mind doing it but I don’t know where I’d find the time either. I’m not sure if the shed roof line will fit under my existing or have to tie into the roof. I also need to do a retaining wall in the back and pour a 26×10 pad first and that’s not happening anytime either (north shade side). Also not sure if you can do a metal roof (Lakeville) or have to match your shingles. I know with our business it all has to match perfectly.

Alagnak1

Update on my lean-to. I went ahead and poured that concrete in early June. The couple quotes I got were crazy high (10-20g) for a 10×20′ lean-to. I was at Sam’s club and noticed a gazebo kit that sloped one way- maybe half the size I needed but it looked pretty nice and it was cedar so it matched other woodwork. So I searched the brand online ‘Backyard Discovery’ and they made a 10×20 and it was only $3g shipped to my house and dropped on my slab via lift gate. This was less than half the price of the materials I was quoted at Menards to build my own. It was some work getting it up and needed a hand with holding the ends when I was putting the cross beams on but it really went together nice and looks much nicer than my menards build would have been. There are 4 concrete anchors on each post and claims to withstand 100mph winds and 50# per square foot of snow load- so, time will tell. I didn’t think I would get this done in the next few years but the price was so cheap I had to do it and have enjoyed it all summer. It was intended for the boat but quickly turned into my outdoor cooking area and will stay that way.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yeah, I want to see this thing!

Alagnak1

Wow a picture worked today.

Attachments:
    1. 386466557_1783509525404516_6602020267127404272_n.jpg

2. 379953585_935308938209246_1282562201532147352_n.jpg

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

That looks pretty nice! Doesn’t snow really pile up on that though?

I ask as my sister and brother in-law built a cabin and were asking me about a lean-to structure off the side of their 2 car detached garage for a boat. This would suffice most likely and match the look of their cabin, but I would question what happens with snowfall on it

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Looks awesome! I will have to do some measurements on the side of my house and the trailer to see if something like this would fit. Might be in the future for me! Did you have to pull any permits with the city for your project?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I wish I could put a lean onto my garage but it is in an easement area. So that is a no go. Are there better pop-up ones that will last more than 3-4 years and how are you securing it? This will be for an 36’ RV. I will also have to check code since I can see this from the street.

Alagnak1

It’s not connected to the house so not sure about the permit in your town but I didn’t get one. It’s not permanent- I can unbolt it and move it from that location whenever I want. I just put it up temporarily to get ready for my daughters graduation party in 5 years and I also lost all of my guns in a tragic boating accident.

50# per square foot is a lot of snow. If looks like I should hit it with a roof rake I will. I’m kind of hoping that with all of the outdoor cooking I do that and a little sun here and there might be enough to slide some stuff off of there? Time will tell. I live here it’s not at a remote property so I can monitor and adjust after crappy weather so I’ll get it figured out. My bigger concern is not being able to reach the shingles now as easily for when I want to rake above the gutters a few feet.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I will also have to check code since I can see this from the street.

I know in Blaine that would be a no go.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s not connected to the house so not sure about the permit in your town but I didn’t get one. It’s not permanent- I can unbolt it and move it from that location whenever I want. I just put it up temporarily to get ready for my daughters graduation party in 5 years and I also lost all of my guns in a tragic boating accident.

50# per square foot is a lot of snow. If looks like I should hit it with a roof rake I will. I’m kind of hoping that with all of the outdoor cooking I do that and a little sun here and there might be enough to slide some stuff off of there? Time will tell. I live here it’s not at a remote property so I can monitor and adjust after crappy weather so I’ll get it figured out. My bigger concern is not being able to reach the shingles now as easily for when I want to rake above the gutters a few feet.

I like that and I am going to look in to it. It looks nice and the price isn’t bad.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rodwork wrote:
    I will also have to check code since I can see this from the street.

I know in Blaine that would be a no go.

It would be on the side of my garage and I would like to put up a privacy fence in between the road and car port. My neighbor had one in his front yard before the snow took it out last year. Farmington

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Maybe behind the fence it would be ok. I have a shed in a box hidden in my backyard, that they would not allow if anyone could see it. All cities are different, and mostly depends on if the neighborhood Karen is opposed to it.

CaptainMusky

I like this thing alot just wish it were bigger. I suppose it might fit my boat if I swing the tongue, but I think I will just pay the $160 to store it again instead. Although I seemed to have acquired my son’s Fiero which is now sitting behind the garage, would be nice to have that covered. Without building something the other option would be to store under the deck, but then where do the snowmobiles go?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I better double check the code. The Karen behind me has been out to get me ever since I removed the dead pine trees in my yard that was shading her deck. She asked me to stop removing them since the sun will make the deck so hot they can’t use it. I said the trees are dead, so they have to go. Now she calls the cops on me at least once a month ever since.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I better double check the code. The Karen behind me has been out to get me ever since I removed the dead pine trees in my yard that was shading her deck. She asked me to stop removing them since the sun will make the deck so hot they can’t use it. I said the trees are dead, so they have to go. Now she calls the cops on me at least once a month ever since.

I hate those kind of people.

CBMN
    North Metro

Alagnak, That thing looks really nice for the money and I have a similar area behind my 3rd stall that something like this would be great for. Not permanent so no permit needed in my City. It would function as another nice patio and covered storage for thing like a utility trailer for me and I have a bedroom window above that always made extending the garage bac an issue with roof line/truss configuration but this doesn’t loose any height with the trusses and sheds snow and water away from the house and I could always construct at a steeper pitch.

Rodwork, you might want to check what would be allowed as a “non permanent” structure in your easement as easement spaces are supposed to be easily vacated if needed.

MX1825

Rodwork put up a fence and paint the Karen side BRIGHT PINK!! whistling

Viewing 28 posts - 31 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.