Canned “tinned” fish

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

My current supply in the pantry.
    Polar makes great smoked, boneless herring fillets. Walmart usually has them. That can is two servings for me.
    Had eggs yesterday so sardines day today, had mustard. lol

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Hey EPG, where do you get Freshe?

These are what’re in my pantry today. Polar makes a very good smoked, boneless herring fillet. I usually get those at Walmart.

Attachments:
    1. sardine-2-scaled.jpg

2. sardine-1-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Freshe order placed.

ThunderLund78

Again, I like a lot of this canned stuff, but $18 for a 4-pack? I’ll stick with Bumblebee. jester

Netguy
    Minnetonka

The Freshe tins are 4.25 oz, while King Oscar, Bumblebee, etc. are 3.75 oz. I thought $2.69 for the King Oscar was a lot. Hard to beat Bumblebee at $1.25.
    Fresh Thyme has some different brands but I don’t get there too often.
    I like the King Oscar because they often use brisling sardines that are smaller. Not like some brands that look like 4-5 silver shiners when you open the can!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dang. I still have white castle on my mind.
    Thanks grouse. rotflol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Again, I like a lot of this canned stuff, but $18 for a 4-pack? I’ll stick with Bumblebee. jester

They aren’t exactly just canned fish. They look very interesting and maybe worth a try? My wife will be excited about them.

Attachments:
    1. 81wPpUHapLL._SX679_.jpg

big_g
    Isle, MN

Love all canned fish, except a can of tuna… barf. In fact, years ago, I would always have kippered snacks in the boat… when finished, I would dump the container in the lake and then rinse out the container… no use smelling it for hours. I swear to god, we would get bitten soon after this ritual… they always come with me now ! smash

Another thing I enjoy, especially around Christmas is Potato Sausage… I am German, but worked with some Swedes who owned a small grocery store/butcher shop growing up and they always made and cooked it at Christmas time. I can find it locally a few places, but it never seems like the right taste or texture that theirs was. Anybody else like to partake in it and where do you find the best stuff ?! grin

Jimmy Jones

Kipper Snacks and sardines in mustard are right up high on my list of snack Love them both.

I had a potato sausage recipe that I follwed for several years, then I parted ways with the inlaws and their daughter so I never made it again. The FIL was full Swede and he sure liked the sausage I made.

Jimmy Jones

Kipper Snacks and sardines in mustard are right up high on my list of snack Love them both.

I had a potato sausage recipe that I follwed for several years, then I parted ways with the inlaws and their daughter so I never made it again. The FIL was full Swede and he sure liked the sausage I made.

I’ve pickled smaller crappie and sunfish backs in a wine brine and they’re very good, way better than pickled northern.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’ve pickled smaller crappie and sunfish backs in a wine brine and they’re very good, way better than pickled northern.

if you eat all that stuff…….you should look in the mirror!!!!! devil rotflol

Jimmy Jones

I would but you’re in the way!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anybody else like to partake in it and where do you find the best stuff ?!

Theilen’s in Pierz makes it, and I like it. But I and the Thielen’s are of German descent and no idea how it compares to the Swede’s rotflol

big_g
    Isle, MN

Funny you mention Thielen’s.. swung by there yesterday… I have always had it fresh and in ground form… theirs is frozen and in casing, ring style. Picked up 2 rings, Trying it tonight ! waytogo peace

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Something that is commonplace in Michigan but cannot be found here or anyplace else for that matter is pickled ring bologna. Its perishable so I order it in the winter every year. Its about time for my fix.

ThunderLund78

Something that is commonplace in Michigan but cannot be found here or anyplace else for that matter is pickled ring bologna. Its perishable so I order it in the winter every year. Its about time for my fix.

I love pickled bologna and have made it myself with some venison bologna before. You can find it in a few small town bars throughout MN. The Hope Tavern in Hope, MN comes to mind, but it’s been years. GREAT STUFF!

JEREMY
    BP

Von Hansens meat markets sell pickled sausage. Sounds gross but its damn good.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

big_g wrote:
    Anybody else like to partake in it and where do you find the best stuff ?!

Garfield Processing in Garfield Minn make a darn good potato sausage also… I need to get over there!! grin

Jimmy Jones

If I find the old fashioned ring bologna on sale anywhere I usually pick up three or four rings and dedicate a couple to pickling. Its habit forming. Very tasty treat during the cold months with some crackers, aged cheddar, maybe a side of pickled herring and a few beers. Maybe a shot of good bourbon to seal the deal.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am pretty sure Thielen’s in Pierz had the pickled sausage… I seen it and went WTH is that ?! They had about 20 different styles of ring bologna and twice as many flavored brats ! I need to go there when I am not in a hurry sometime.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I like canned sardines, I think they are tasty. Also, my grandpa makes a mean pickled fish, he usually uses white bass or sheepshead, both come out great.

Riverrat

Pickled ring bologna!!! I had to google it just to make sure I wasn’t being trolled. Doesn’t the grease just stick to the sides of the jar?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn
    Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Pekarnas in Jordan has pickled head cheese, it’s amazing

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’ll starve first.

ThunderLund78

I’m only about 10 miles away, I gotta go check that out. Haven’t been to Pekarna’s in a while but have always loved that place! Did not know about the pickled head cheese, but have home pickled their bologna.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ll starve first.

That got an actual LOL from me.

Can’t say I have had pickled bologna or head cheese, but I like the regular version of both. I know I’m redundant but Thielen’s Bologna is the best, and even better if you can make it to the Red Rooster for Bologna Day/lunch on Wednesday’s. I’ll have to swing over to Pekarna’s and give it a try, that place is old school in a good way.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Craig Sery wrote:</div>

I’m only about 10 miles away, I gotta go check that out. Haven’t been to Pekarna’s in a while but have always loved that place! Did not know about the pickled head cheese, but have home pickled their bologna.

Heading there Wednesday Thunder for bologna and head cheese. They used to have pickled pork hocks that were sliced thin and amazing but FDA said no more…where abouts do you live? I grew up in Montgomery and live in West Bloomington

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.