Canned “tinned” fish

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Any canned fish lovers out there?
    I came across these.
    The Freshe are very good and comes in different flavors. They are packed with vegies, nuts, herbs and some have a sauce.
    The smoked oysters are the best I’ve had out of a can, There huge.
    I just started with the Fishwife and have found those tasty, they are mostly smoked and the tuna and rainbow are very good. The sardines are freaking huge and meaty.

I’l give them 3 out of 3 spam cans. toast

Attachments:
    1. Tinned-fish-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Where in the heck do you find those?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Pic takes forever

Attachments:
    1. Tinned-fish-1-scaled.jpg

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

shock shock Where’s the puke emoji? This is not something I can get behind.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I can live off that for a few days! That and a few toast

-J.

Riverrat

MMmmmm craft beer and some herrings, that should make my man bun grow. Not sure how this whole canned fish thing became the rage, Brewhalla has like 50 different canned fishes. There’s Scandahoovian restaraunts popping up all over in these parts too, nothing like rye toast, sardines, pickled cabbage, and a fried egg for a breakfast sandwich.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I just saw something about these, where did you find them? Looks like something I’d be into.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Like White Castle burgers, Marmite, and redheads, I’ve never met anyone who is take-em-or-leave-em when it comes to tinned fish/oysters/etc. It’s either true love or…

My neighbor LOVES tinned oysters and sardines. The more exotic the better. Japanese, Norwegian, Swedish, Italian, he gets them from all over.

Every time he opens a tin, everybody else in the room turns to him and says, “You’re not going to eat that, are you?”

You either lover ’em or…

ThunderLund78

Pickled herring from the jar on a Triscuit ALL DAY LONG – but the only “canned” fish that I go for like the ones that you’re picturing are the occasional anchovies atop a Ceasar salad. In fact, it’s one of my favorite treats.

Can’t do canned oysters though – tried several times and just can’t.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pickled herring from the jar on a Triscuit ALL DAY LONG

Oh yes, same here. Home made pickled pike isn’t bad either if you know how to do it.

Gives a guy really bad breath though.

ThunderLund78

Yeah, I like pickled pike if done right – sometimes you get a jar from someone who didn’t wash the filets very well and I swear you can taste a hint of pike slime so I’m weary of it when i try it from an unknown source.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Thunder you lost me at Triscuit, those are like eating a pressed hay bale! rotflol Club crackers for the win, or Ritz in a pinch.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Like White Castle burgers, Marmite, and redheads, I’ve never met anyone who is take-em-or-leave-em when it comes to tinned fish/oysters/etc. It’s either true love or…

My neighbor LOVES tinned oysters and sardines. The more exotic the better. Japanese, Norwegian, Swedish, Italian, he gets them from all over.

Every time he opens a tin, everybody else in the room turns to him and says, “You’re not going to eat that, are you?”

You either lover ’em or…

Mmmm white castle. That sounds delicious. As for canned fish. No thank you

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Thunder you lost me at Triscuit, those are like eating a pressed hay bale! rotflol Club crackers for the win, or Ritz in a pinch.

rotflol rotflol pressed haybale…….. rotflol rotflol rotflol mrgreen thats funny right there.

yea cant do canned fish. pickled herring either. i’ll take my pickled nords anyday!!!!

EPG & Iowaboy can attest to my pickled fish!!!!!! waytogo it’s fishthumpers reciepe with a few twists!!! whistling

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I just saw something about these, where did you find them? Looks like something I’d be into.

Amazon

and yeah, people either love em or hate em.

Now white castle – double cheese burger with ketchup and mustard and a side of onion chips, ba-bam!
    Just don’t stand downwind of me for a day or two.

ThunderLund78

I frickin’ love triscuits, man. Especially with a drippin’ wet slab of pickled fish on ’em! Helps moisten the hay bale effect! But any cracker will do.

wkw

My neighbor came over a month ago with a tin of fish. I think a Swedish thing. I can’t remember the name now, but googled it and that said it smelled rotten eggs times ten. He wanted to give to me (cost him $40), I said “Thanks, but no thanks.”

wkw

Google Surstromming. “The worlds worst smelling fish”

wkw

One guy said the smell was a blend of dirty diapers and dead bodies. You guys read up on this and you will have a new appreciation for pickled herring.

AK Guy

My wife loves canned salmon. I hate it. Smells like cat food. I only eat salmon fresh or smoked.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2233.jpeg

ThunderLund78

Haha! I read the Wikipedia page for Surstromming – pretty entertaining. The fact that it’s canned fermented fish and you can get it gutted or ungutted makes me think that if a guy is gonna try it, you gotta go for the ungutted. FULL SEND!

wkw

Yeah, when they start out saying it smells “putrid”

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

OMG is that what drinking Carona does to a person.
    I would eat the labels and throw the rest away.

wkw

My wifes Grandma used to can carp in tomato juice. Came out pink and tasted like salmon.

Reef W

Smells like cat food.

That’s what I thought the whole topic was about

Timmy

Heck ya! Sardines, kippered snacks, oysters, mussels….. all are fantastic. A cold beer and any of the above on a cracker..it’s like a little slice of heaven that a 5-star restaurant would be jealous of.

B-man

When I was a kid a can of kippered snacks was a coveted treat waytogo

Geisha smoked oysters were a close 2nd

I still buy both of them on occasion, but have been canning fish myself for sometime now.

A lot of it is essentially freshwater “tuna fish” (salmon or trout with nothing crazy added for flavor). It works out great in homemade tuna-helper but is decent on a cracker too.

Once a season though I make homemade kippered snacks.

I use salmon, brined like normal, then hot smoked heavy for a short time, then pressure canned from there.

It looks like a science experiment, but damn it’s delicious lol

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Love sardines, kippered snacks and occasional oysters. Actually alternate between eggs and sardines for my breakfast protein. Been doing that for years.
    Favorite sardine flavors are Mediterranean, dijon mustard, tomato sauce and plain olive oil to which I’ll add hot sauce. Had some this morning which means eggs tomorrow!! yay

Wildlifeguy

I think I just grew a flannel and suspenders from reading this…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.