Cancelled Flight

• gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Mother, Wife and Sister will be stuck in Atlanta due to the snow. They are in the air yet, so they may not know yet. Trying to have some sort of a plan for them when they land in Atlanta. Any advice, never dealt with a cancellation before.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Boy, sorry to hear that. I was in Florida for the big snowstorm in 2010 that collapsed the Dome roof. When we got to Atlanta to connect we knew the weather was bad so we got off the plane and went right to the connecting flight screen (we were all young and hadn’t flown much) and asked someone “why can’t we find the flights outbound to Minneapolis?” to which an airline employee replied “because there aren’t any.”

I’m guessing they all live here in MN and would like to get back ASAP? If so, my best advice is to understand that there are thousands and thousands of other people trying to do the same thing and do what they can to get in front of that proverbial line of thousands. Have someone in the group stand in line at a counter (if they’re still at the airport) while someone else calls the airline, see who makes progress first.

Also, if there’s not a problem with this they should be flexible enough to add some connections to their flight. Maybe there’s tons of flights from, say, Charlotte to MSP and if they can get to Charlotte they’ll be able to hop on one much easier. In the short term adding connecting stops seems like it delays getting home but if it’s done right it can help.

Another thing that may not apply and may be hard to do: Do some looking at where else in this country this storm is going. I only paid attention to what this storm would to do MN but if it keeps going east it may affect other upper midwest states. In my 2010 example I thought I had a sweet deal lined up to connect in Indianapolis until I realized that the 22″ storm was going to hit there as well and I didn’t want to be stranded in another city again.

Also, understand that it’s possible they maybe be able to find a flight here or there with 1, maybe 2 seats. I don’t know their situation but if they’re willing to split up that could help. Me and my 6 work buddies came home from Atlanta by way of Kansas City and Boston.

In the mean time, if they have to spend the night, sometimes airlines or the airport will be able to give them a coupon or voucher to get a discounted room at a hotel that likely has a shuttle.

Good luck!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m assuming that the flights cancelled because of the snow here. It won’t matter what airport you wanna fly from, you aren’t getting in here. Hunker down until they start flying again.

munchy
    NULL

Only thing you can really do right now is figure out a hotel for them to stay at. Very doubtful the airlines will pay for it either since this is an act of Mother Nature.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Tough gals are gonna hunker down in the airport. Told me i was silly for trying to find them a hotel.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Good plan. Looks like the snow will be outa here before long. If they are in the airport they might get on one of the first flights out tonight.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Hunker down in the airport and treat it like a mini adventure. There are worse airports than ATL to be stuck in. Good bars/restaurants to pass the time. Not sure if they got rebooked but tell them to go the gate of the flight they want to get on and be as sweet and friendly as they can be to the gate agents.

I’ve travelled a lot in my days and being friendly and accommodating to the gate agents always wins. Most people get pretty unruly when they are delayed…don’t be them.

Good luck!

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

They are flying to New York Laguardia in the morning. They will have 45 minutes to get off the plane, check-in, go through security, and board. This was the option provided by Delta. $20 says they miss their connecting flight.

They found a bar, so they’re in good spirits. toast

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

In La Guardia, assuming they are only on Delta, I can tell you that there is definitely no reason to exit security and go through security screening another time between terminals D and C. All they will have to do is bring their carry on luggage and walk to the next gate. I’ve been through there hundreds of times. As far as a 45 minute connect, should be no problem.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Good luck to them, that would be a nightmare for me. Takes a lot to get me to climb into one of those glorified intercontinental ballistic missiles in the first place, if the one I’m supposed to get on is cancelled, pretty sure I’d start walking home. I’ve heard all the lines about how irrational my fear of them is, but it’s like trying to convince your wife that daddy long legs in the corner of the bathroom is harmless.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.