Canada bound…next week!

• DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

We are heading into Canada next week on our annual 5 day Smallmouth Bass excursion….
    ANyone have any feedback on the status on the smallies up there. Pre-spawn, on their beds, out deeper staging, etc…We will be in Southern Ontario…I am sure it depends on what lake you are on, but a general concensus would be great for planning!

Here is our trip from last year….

From Lake-X

big_g
    Isle, MN

I envy you…. I would suggest doing what you did last year, them are some piggies !!!

big g

keepcasting
    Excelsior

Steve, I was on the English River last week and the smallies were definately not spawning yet. Last year the water was up at 60-62 degrees and we hammered the smallies with flyrods on or near the bed areas. This year the biggest fish were relating to anywhere there was current and rock points or rock walls. Water temps this year were in the uppper 40’s and low 50’s. DT 6’s and 10’s and #10 x-raps were the hottest lures. Good Luck!!

ms75449
    Lake City, MN

Steve – Good luck and have fun. I had a blast catching smallies on Clay Lake (near Vermillion Bay) two weeks ago. The fish hadn’t spawned yet… water temps were in the low to mid 50s. I had the secret bait this year and smoked the other guys when it came to catching smallies. They were slip bobbering with leeches. My bait??? Jimmy D’s 1/16th Riverbugs. I would start off with black, then on over to olive green and then back to black. Man-oh-man, did they love them. Once again, good luck and have fun! MIKE

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

where does a guy get some riverbugs?

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

If you click HERE you can find all that information

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Quote:

Thanks Slider for providing the link!

Jerad,
    If there is something that you do not see on the webiste, feel free to email me or Jimmy D and maybe we can help you out. The colors that you see on the website are just some examples that are shown there. Any color combonation that you are interested, I am certain that Jimmy D can make it for you. No price change for custom colors.

My personal preference is black, olive and sometimes white and pink for smallmouth bass!
    Good luck to you!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

This is just a shameless plug for Jimmy D’s jigs I had Jimmy make me some swim jigs in my personal favorite colors and they are working very well. You will love his baits, I can guarantee you

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Good luck up there Steve. That is always a good trip this time of the year.

Keepcasting–what part of the English were you on up there?

gonfisn
    Bemidji, MN

Any report on the water levels? I know at one time the water was way up in that area, but curious if that has changed with the recent lack of precip?

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

When we were up in the Red Lake area in mid july, the water levels were up 6″ to 12″ above normal depending on the area. We did notice the water temps were 10 to 15 degrees cooler than past years at that time mid 60’s to lower 70’s. Did notice some streams were muddy and 10 miles away they were clear…spotty rains?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.