English River?

• scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

I try to make it up there at least one or two times a year. Normally we hit the Grassy Narrows area. Anyone else fish this area?

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Jeff,

I fish grassy every august. actually, we fish all the way up to maynard and tide lakes. we fish fox a lot too and have been fishing grassy more and more. grassy is the only place we fish where there is no current. everywhere else we just find the neck down areas where there is current and hammer walleyes. lots of big northerns and smallies too. i love it up there and am getting antsy to go again.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

We just put in at Grassy but fish mostly Fox, Indian and a bit in Separation. Our group will also be up there in Aug. as normal this year. I think we figured it out at this will be my 33rd time to that location. I love it up there! The last time I figured it out we were less then 1400 hours way so yes I am just a bit antsy too!!

Bruce Barnum

Ain’t that the truth Jeff….I’m here at work ready to come out of my seat with anticipation!!!! How are we going to manage the wait for 1400 hrs? With this being the first time to this area…I can’t wait!!!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Not sure I can wait that long. May just have to make a pre-Aug. trip? Just to find out the water level or something? Then as long as we are there we may as well fish.

Bruce Barnum

I kinda hinted to the wife that maybe a trip to the Great White North for a trial run would be a fine idea! At least to scratch the itch! You know why…..because we can!!!!!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Exactly. And how did that go for ya?

Bruce Barnum

Welllll……I heard a “HUMMMMMMM?????!?!?!!?!”

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Well that is better then a “ya right”.. Talked to the lodge up there today and the water has came up 3-4′ in the last 2 weeks. Also confirmed that we are reserved for that same week for the next 5 years.

Bruce Barnum

Well that’s good cause (if I like it) and it was any sooner…I was told I wouldn’t be going!

John’s B-Day is the 6th.

I won’t say what my remark was other than yes dear!

Hopefully less chance of lower unit problems with higher water, huh?

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Well heck my wife thought we were in Canada last week so I don’t think it would be a problem for me. I am about to talk myself into a two day pre-fish trip here.

Actually up there it don’t really make a difference. You just get to see different rocks when the water is low. I seem to get in more trouble when the water is high because I will run up them small feeder creeks just to see where they go.

jld
    Holmen

We just got back from Lac Seul last week and we hammered the walleyes. No piggies but in one afternoon six of us managed to land and release 20 fish between 3 1/2 and 5 pounds. The water levels are way down at least 2ft if not more. The resort owner where we stayed at said it was much worse in the spring, closer to 4-5 feet. Needless to say a lot of lower units have been lost this spring and summer.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Anyone been up the last couple of weeks?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Just back from Lac Seul and the water seemed to only be down a foot or thereabouts. It also seemed to be coming up as there were a lot of floaters while we were fishing. Fishing could have been better as we struggled to find a solid pattern. It was in the 80’s for air temps and there was very little wind. We had two days that were very good and the rest of the time we got lots of sun!!! Still great to be up there though. I will be putting a little better report on the Lac Seul thread as I get more time to digest the numbers that the lodge gave to us.

Mark

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.