Campin' and Cattin'

• Duck2
    Mahtomedi, mn

Hello I just picked up a modified v 16 ft jon boat ( Tracker Grizzly MVX 1648 )and will be outfitting it for river action. Does anyone have a suggestion of stretches of river in MN or WI that would be good for sandbar camping ? I would like to motor to the destination, set up camp and spend a day or 2 prowling the river for catfish or other riverine species that suit my fancy. I am thinking the lower stretches of both the Chippewa and the Wisconsin River might be ideal locales for such a trip. I would like to avoid stretches of river that are prone to large logjams that impede navigation. I am expecting that the nightime bug scene may at times be horrendous.
    Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

They camp and fish for Catfish North of the Dam in St. Croix Falls on the St. Croix River. Nice launch ramp at the park just North of town. No Jet Ski’s, no tuna boats. Just a slice of heaven. smile

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The Chippewa river from Eau Claire to the Mississippi is a gem of a resource. Log jams will not be an issue. There are hundreds of places to stop and camp. I’ve went entire weekends without seeing more than a handful of other people. Take your time navigating or maybe ask the local bait shops for advice.

Eagles will follow you as you fish if you’re on the lower stretches.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.