What’s the latest on this great lake?

• prov1900
    NE Nebraska

What’s the latest out in Burwell? I haven’t been there forever and was wondering how the fishery was doing? Truthfully, been saving up on my gas money, to start spending lots of time there when the muskies get big. Any reports on their size?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I haven’t been to Calamus for a few years. I have heard it’s tough to get a keeper walleye up there. Tons and tons of 17 3/4 inchers though. Let us know how you do if you make it up there. I sure would like to make it up there some day this summer.

prov1900
    NE Nebraska

Calamus is like that soap opera that you can walk away from for five years, return and discover that nothing has changed. Isn’t it crazy how every year there is always loads of 17 3/4 inch fish? For the last 6 years, I have said that the slot needs to change. Less limit, less size. Thanks for the reply and I will post this spring and tell you how many “unders” vs. “overs” I caught (and released…I am just looking for one 12 plus, even then, a replica is in my future). If you have to catch lots of fish, 17 inchers are a lot of fun though.

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

I know of a 30″ caught there in the end of May. They are there, keep us posted.

Jason

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

I am just looking for one 12 plus, even then, a replica is in my future). If you have to catch lots of fish, 17 inchers are a lot of fun though.

Good call!

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

There are a lot of keepers caught up there in March and April because they are so predictable. The sad thing is that most of those keepers that are caught in that month, month and a half are kept, and the rest of the year is a lot of sifting through short fish. Remember though, there is a GREAT population of nice whites and BIG wipers up there to chase around as well And the channels out of that clear water are tastey

felix1

How about Crappie? Anyone ever crappie fish there? I never have besides ice fishing about 10 years ago. A couple of years ago, I did see some 16-17 inchers on a stringer.

djorg
    Central City, NE

We came past the Calamus last Tuesday but didn’t fish. We pulled into Valley View Flats and you could see that there had been quite a bit of traffic going off of the ramp out toward the trees on the other side. The ice fishermen up there are really quiet.

The last time I fished the lake I had to buy a new blade for my auger because of all of the sand in the ice. Also had water shooting up through the ice hole because of the river flow. Wierd at best.

Did see five swans at Gracie Pond on Tuesday.

Good Fishin’
    jorg

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Crappie fishing in the spring can be really good up there I have never iced fish Calamus though, sorry.

YotaPower
    Rockland, WI

Ok, Its been a few years ago, but a fella who works for a famous catalog outifitting business told me that pepole fish for eyes in the calamus during the spawn. Anyone have any comments on this? I know the locals would rather take a 30 caliber round to the chest than divulge any info to outsiders about that lake. I would assume that the water coming in would still be very cold. I just wonder if very cold is 47 degrees or colder. Anyway, its been a few years since the story and the details are very cloudy etc etc. I may see If I can catch up with him this week and try and refresh the story and get more details. I was just hoping that there would be someone out there who is wreckless enough to cut loose with some info.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

There shouldn’t be any reason that a population of eyes wouldn’t head up the river to spawn. Finding public access along the river could be tough but if you can get it you should find eyes staging in holes and such. They may even spawn after the fish in the lake spawn if water coming in is that much colder. They will spawn in slower water on sand, gravel, and even weeds. Back in it’s hayday Big Mac had been known for the walleye that would head up creeks like Otter Creek.

djorg
    Central City, NE

Try the Gracey Creek area. Just a hint ……… hint ………. hint.

YotaPower
    Rockland, WI

Never thought about Gracey creek. Thanks fellas.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Quote:

Try the Gracey Creek area. Just a hint ……… hint ………. hint.

That’s a good hint flat There are some really nice fish that come out of that area and it is really easy to get to

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.