Cabelas

• FryDog62

I was at the one in Rogers today. Like FryDog said their open water selection was better than it used to be this time of year. I still left empty handed and found what I needed at Overton’s. Cabelas had a bunch of quick strike rigs but all were 11″ and over hook to hook doah

I walked in there thinking they had low stock, but found a rod introduced just last year that was on clearance. Bought it and was in/out of there in 15 minutes. Ran out to the parking lot and screeched home before someone realized they had the rod mis-marked!!

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    To me, that policy of not showing those types of photos makes sense. Hunts of those type have been quite controversial for a long long time.

Oh, I definitely understand their desire to avoid controversy. I just think it’s short-sighted and worth noting when a company such as Cabela’s makes such a change to the values that guided and defined them for so long.

And it’s worth considering some of the potential long-term consequences. When you stop showing something openly, it becomes secret, and that suggests that you’re ashamed of it because it’s somehow wrong. Once the anti-hunters have made it inappropriate to be open about hunting wild game in Africa, it’s on to the next thing and the next after that, and eventually my great-grandchildren will have to keep it a secret that they’re shooting those poor innocent deer and turkeys right here at home. Cabela’s is absolutely one of the big public faces of hunting and fishing, and I worry this is just one in a death by a thousand cuts…

X2. Well said.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

As the story develops, it is (thankfully) more like the first half cut than full cut out of the death by a thousand. Sounds like the pro-staff contract language that banned pics of exotic/safari animals was from Cabela’s Canada only (ie., not in the US), and Bass Pro Shops corporate is disavowing it as a “misunderstanding” as well as re-stating their open support for such hunting in Africa.
    It’s bad that they had someone in a position of managing pro-staff in Canada who’d advance such a position. It’s good that they’ve responded quickly to stay in line with the loud and clear voice of their hunting customers.

Did Cabela’s/Bass Pro Shops Ban Pro Staffer From Posting African Hunting Pics?

basseyes

Dick and Mary Cabela loved Africa, and hunted it proudly.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

The word Banned/ban scares people to the point they take it personally when a decision made to cater to another crowd like they have been discarded from being catered to when in fact they still are. Are pictures of big game that important when deciding to shop there?
    Those photo’s never really registered in my mind until the big stink over the ban and I’m sure I will go back to not registering them again soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.