Buying a wider roller trailer

• Jonesy

Long story short. Deer hit my trailer and the axle is bad. Trailer manufacturer is no more and dealership can’t find a axle or a place that can build a custom axle.

I found a nice used roller trailer. Only issue it’s wider than my current trailer. Current trailer is 84″ and the one I’m looking at is 100″. The rollers are all adjustable so does it really matter if the trailer is wider?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Does it just have rollers or bunks also? As long as it have a way to self center, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for you. 84″ sounds like it was a very tight fit and probably not the easiest target to hit if the conditions weren’t great.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

so does it really matter if the trailer is wider?

Only matters if your storage space won’t fit 100″ or might matter if you pull the same to a gas pump or other stationary object as you did when pulling a 84″ trailer.

Friend of mine bought a wider rig and promptly wiped out a fender before he got accustomed to the increased width.

Jonesy

It’s just rollers no bunks. I figured I could just adjust the rollers to fit the boat but the guy at the dealership wasn’t sure if that would work.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I run a roller trailer that is around 100″ out to out of fender with a 1600 pro sport without issue. Once I stopped backing in to far it loads like a dream. Trying to remember but pretty sure my roller “mounts” are all u bolt attached to the cross bars so you could move them if needed.

Jonesy

I run a roller trailer that is around 100″ out to out of fender with a 1600 pro sport without issue. Once I stopped backing in to far it loads like a dream. Trying to remember but pretty sure my roller “mounts” are all u bolt attached to the cross bars so you could move them if needed.

Any idea what the width of your boat is?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>poomunk wrote:</div>

Any idea what the width of your boat is?

82″

tim hurley

For the first time in my boating career I have a trailer that is wider than my vehicle, sounds like no big deal but it is an adjustment.

B-man

I’d find a bigger dealer that you can work with. You could also give Shorelandr or EZ loader a call yourself. They make trailers for everything.

Jonesy

I’d find a bigger dealer that you can work with. You could also give Shorelandr or EZ loader a call yourself. They make trailers for everything.

My goal is to not buy a new trailer. Boat is a 98 and trailer is likely to get totaled by insurance.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

It’s a bit of a mid winter mess in there and I was a little close to the back wall to get good pictures but hopefully these help.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200217_191344.jpg

2. MVIMG_20200217_191300.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

The rusty looking piece is something a previous owner added to support a roller guide that’s no longer there. No idea where it went, was missing the left side since before I bought it. Couldn’t get a good shot of the bottom.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200217_191459.jpg

catmando
    wis

Mr you have no idea what a real winter garage mess is! You can walk around in yours. lol!

Jonesy

Thanks for the pictures Poomunk I have a feeling that is exactly what my boat will look like on the trailer I am thinking about getting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.