Buying A Used Boat

• Michael

I’ve been wanting to pick up a boat for some time now and that’s gotten much closer to being plausible. That being said I went to look at boats for sale in my local area on Facebook only to find pricing not remotely in the ball park of websites like NADA would list them as. Specifically I found a 16ft 1994 Lund Rebel with a 25hp Evinrude, trailer included. Asking about 3800.00, while NADA suggested “Average Retail” at 2095.00(this includes trailer and motor). With the massive difference between their asking price and the websites recommended value I’m very uncertain of how to approach purchasing any boat I may come across.

I guess my question is, is that boat worth what their asking and does anyone have recommendations beyond NADA in determining value? I will add in this post it does appear the boat was well maintained at least by appearance and they claim it has been stored indoors. It’s also in a town with two major lakes within a 10 minute drive so I would assume it has gotten some miles over the years despite it being photogenic. Beyond that no special add-on’s were listed on the post so I have to assume it doesn’t have any “extras”.

Anyway, I’m not dead set on this specific boat but I do like these style of boats and would love to get some perspective from those who have some actual experience.

papaperch

I think you are going to be hard-pressed to find a boat that sells for NADA listed worth.

I have a 95 Lund and no way would I sell it for 3800. The electronics alone are worth more than that.

Lund is a high quality boat and if this particular boat is suitable for your needs. I would offer something close to his asking price. That is just my opinion.

Another approach is to see what is offered locally. From your post it sounds like you have done that. Compare the Lund’s value to what else is being offered. NADA may be somewhat of a guideline. But it is definitely not the final say so. Its prices are based on a national average. A 16 ft Lund on a coastal location is not going to sell for what one located in mid America does.

walleye216

I think that price is a little high. In my area an early 90’s rebel with A 25 Would go for between 2500 and 3000 depending on condition and what is included.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I just sold my 2006 lund 1625 clasic with a 40 yamaha four stroke for 5000. No fish finder but I let the power drive minkota go with. The boat was very nice inside but the outside was pretty scratched up. Thought maybe that would help.

Reef W

NADA is pretty worthless for boats. You just have to look everyday to get an idea what things are going for. Bookmark anything similar, even if it’s not what you want, and check back on it. If it’s a good deal it will sell in a day or two, if it’s listed for a long time the price is too high. Eventually you’ll recognize what is a good price and what isn’t.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

X1000 on the NADA values….absolutely worthless! Try to find comparables on CL. The market will tell you how much a boat is worth. It’s def a sellers market so prepare to pay up. Perhaps wait until fall and you may see prices go down?
    Best advice I can give you is when you find a boat you are dead set on, move quick and I mean real quick or you will miss out. My last 2 boats, I basically said I am on my way with the money. Nice boats last like 5 hours on CL if that. An older boat like that should be easier.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have a hell of a deal on a 17 ft boat and 60 tiller. All electronics. 5500 and its yours.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Boat values are HIGHLY variable by region, season condition. A boat in MN may easily sell for 10k in the spring and on the fall you couldn’t find a single taker even at 8k.

NADA is a tool mainly to help lenders and insurance companies, for individual buyers it’s almost worthless.

To figure out values you have to watch your local market and estimate the actual selling prices. A boat that goes on FB one morning and is gone by noon probably sold for asking price. A boat that hangs out for 2 weeks is probably overpriced.

Take screenshots and write stuff down because ads disappear. By watching what is actually moving you’ll pretty soon get a very good feel for what a boat sells for in a given condition in your area.

Grouse

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The only good reference for used boats, imo, is the market and what other boats are listed and actually selling for. NADA and KBB are worthless imo on boat values. The challenge is in comparing the shape each one is in, which is a major factor. If that boat and trailer is in great shape and motor fires right up, that’s a fair price imo.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The only good reference for used boats, imo, is the market and what other boats are listed and actually selling for. NADA and KBB are worthless imo on boat values. The challenge is in comparing the shape each one is in, which is a major factor. If that boat and trailer is in great shape and motor fires right up, that’s a fair price imo.

Agreed 100 percent.
    And its hard to put value to a boat if the guy has 4 k in graphs and a 1000 dollar troller on it. I see mid 80s boats and motors going to more then what you are looking at. It all depends on the shape

Tim Chrouser

I bought a new Alumacraft Competitor 175 CS with 150 Merc and taking delivery in the spring.
    So, I’m selling my current boat (in my profile photo). I bought it new in 1994 and used it every year since then. It’s my baby…and it’s a lucky boat (won 3 times it’s purchase price in only 9 musky tournaments).
    Boat still goes close to 40mph…always running premium, ethanol-free gas, always running all gas out of motor after use, fogged every fall, changed plugs every spring, and changed lower unit gear lube every year.
    Stainless steel prop, brand new MinnKota 55lbs thrust trolling motor, brand new depth finder on bow, one year old Helix 7 on console, brand new trailer axle and tires. Everything works including every trailer light and power trim switch on bow.
    Carpet worn and has holes where I stand on front deck. Dry storage on bow still good. Plywood flooring on back deck soft and needs to be be replaced. If I was keeping boat I would get my band saw out and replace all of it and re-carpet.
    I have 3 trips left this year…week on Rainy Lake, musky trip in northern Wisconsin, and Walleye trip on Mississippi, and after that she’ll be garage stored over the winter…as she always has been.
    I’ll sell it for $4,500. It’s a great fish-catching machine…especially musky, smallies/LMB, northern. And, I walleye fish out of it quite a bit but it’s more of a deep V aluminum bass boat. I know it’ll sell pretty fast at that price. I want someone to buy it, take care of it, and catch some big fish with it. This boat has been my sanctuary for the last 26 years.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.