Bullwhip reel question

• Jeff Schomaker

Well I’ve decided my first custom ice rod will be a TUCR Bullwhip 30″ split grip. Now my question for you Bullwhip owners is what spinning reel do you guys reccomend? Don’t wanna break the bank but also want a nice reel that will look good on there. Thanks

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I went with the Sienna 500 but I think those will be tough to find anymore

deertracker

I also have the Sienna on mine and like it. Did they stop making them? Should have gotten a few more if they did.
    DT

Jeff Schomaker

Is there a certain Sienna you’re talking about? Because Cabelas carries all sizes of the Sienna’s.

ski junkie
    Grantsburg, Wisc

I was at Gander Mountain in Forest Lake and they had a pile of them for sale for about $30

Bassn Dan

I also have the Sienna on mine and like it. Did they stop making them? Should have gotten a few more if they did.
    DT

They updated the Sienna reels and dropped the 500 size. Still some out there, but probably not for long.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Yes the Sienna is discontinued. We have a few coming in though.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Yes the Sienna is discontinued. We have a few coming in though.

I thought they discontinued the Sedona 500 FD ?

deertracker

I need to know now if I need to buy then out at my Fleet….
    DT

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Tica Cetus SS500 or SB500 are great reels, I run them on most of my panfish or walleye ice rods without issue.

tucrs
    NW Metro

According to what we have been told both Sedona’s and Sienna’s are discontinued. Now I am not sure how many are left in the pipeline, only time will tell.

I think honestly it is a big mistake from Shimano and another company needs to step up too. Tica’s do have super smooth drags though.

Mark Wilson

I think that as Shimano upgrades each reel, they drop the 500’s. That has been the case with both the Sedona and Sienna. I thought they were upgrading the Symetre as well (I scored a few 500’s at deeply discounted prices), but now it is not even listed on their website?

From what I have heard, the 500 is always the last size to be made available when the do upgrades…..so, I don’t think they will discontinue the 500’s, and hopefully they will be available soon.

ejdelvo28

Pflueger size 20s are the best alternative to the Shimano 500s.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Pflueger size 20s are the best alternative to the Shimano 500s.

X2…….a little more expensive,yes…..but worth it IMO….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well I’ve decided my first custom ice rod will be a TUCR Bullwhip 30″ split grip. Now my question for you Bullwhip owners is what spinning reel do you guys reccomend? Don’t wanna break the bank but also want a nice reel that will look good on there. Thanks

Now that Shimano has discontinued the 750s completely and cut out many of their 500 I’ve been looking for alternatives. The Okuma Ceymar 10 is an excellent replacement for the Sedona 500 for panfish applications. I picked up a few of them a couple weeks ago and they’re the perfect size with a fantastic drag. And the price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Ceymar-Lightweight-Spinning-Reel/dp/B01BXZX5Q6

Hoyt4
    NULL

Pflueger micro has been the best real i’ve been using on my ice setups.

Bassn Dan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jeff Schomaker wrote:</div>

Now that Shimano has discontinued the 750s completely and cut out many of their 500 I’ve been looking for alternatives. The Okuma Ceymar 10 is an excellent replacement for the Sedona 500 for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>panfish applications. I picked up a few of them a couple weeks ago and they’re the perfect size with a fantastic drag. And the price is right.

https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Ceymar-Lightweight-Spinning-Reel/dp/B01BXZX5Q6

It makes me wonder if the in-line reel craze caused a temporary drop in Shimano’s 500 series sales so they dropped them? Seems like there’s plenty of demand that’s being shifted to other brands. Thanks for the tip on the Okuma’s James.

Brennon Nielson

I know it’s not spinning but I ordered a 13 fishing black betty freefall for my bullwhip!

ejdelvo28

The Trion size 20 runs for the same price, $30, if you search for it. And for $10 more you can get a President, the best budget spinning reel on the market.

Jeremy Goodman
    Madison, WI

I run both sienna and President reels, enjoy them both, but the president has a slightly smoother drag.

Ryan Wilson

I haven’t had any problems with Abu Garcia’s Cardinal SX5. I use an SX10 on my ultralight for stream smallies and the drag can handle those runs flawlessly. HotSauce’d the SX5 for my ice rod, works great, IME.

However, I do have a sienna 500 on my bullwhip.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.