Buddy Heater – Cooking

• TD H10

Does anyone know of a company that sells cooking grates for buddy heaters? Thought I saw a company that was selling something like this at ice fishing show but was unable to get a close view of what they were selling…

TripleA
    Blaine

James and Joel mentioned a certain grill grate from Fleet farm in an episode I believe. Can’t remember which one though.

queenswake
    NULL

Man one of the things I love about ice fishing is all of the gear and gear mods and what guys come up with. I love it all. The smitty sleds, the shelter mods, the ATV/snowmobiles rigging, etc. This is a great idea for using the buddy heater for cooking.

gonehunting

There was a guy at the St. Paul Ice Show (second floor) that was selling stainless steel grates made for the buddy heaters. I had a card but cannot find it. Maybe someone else remembers the name of the company. They were like $25 for the big buddy heater. Built well also.

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

This may be an obvious thing to most people on here; however, i felt it was worth mentioning for those out there who may not know.

If you intend to build a cooking grate for your heater… …DO NOT use galvanized metals!!! If you are unsure, ask. Metals and alloys treated with chemicals release various, sometimes toxic, fumes when heated and could incapacitate or possibly lead to serious injury/death; especially, in close quarters such as an ice shanty etc…

I think this is a great idea and plan to build one for my self. That is unless i find a nice vendor who sells them for $25. ;) I would love to see some pics of peoples setups. I too love seeing mods and love the ice fishing world for all the creative solutions.

JoeMX1825
    MN

just go to Fleet Farm and buy a cookie cooling grate for a couple bucks, couple of simple cuts and bends and you have a Buddy Heater grill. The trick is to get the food to sit ABOVE the heat, most guys make their’s sit too far out in front of the heat…

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

This may be an obvious thing to most people on here; however, i felt it was worth mentioning for those out there who may not know.

If you intend to build a cooking grate for your heater… …DO NOT use galvanized metals!!! If you are unsure, ask. Metals and alloys treated with chemicals release various, sometimes toxic, fumes when heated and could incapacitate or possibly lead to serious injury/death; especially, in close quarters such as an ice shanty etc…

I think this is a great idea and plan to build one for my self. That is unless i find a nice vendor who sells them for $25. ;) I would love to see some pics of peoples setups. I too love seeing mods and love the ice fishing world for all the creative solutions.

A ton of different ways of making them here.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=132730.0

JoeMX1825
    MN

I made this design and used it for 5+ years now, works well, never had anything ever fall off…I might redo it and make it sit over the heat more, this will heat the food more evenly..

Attachments:
    1. Buddy-Heater-Grill.jpg

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Cooling racks can be found at any thrift store, goodwill, salvation army and alike. Most likely in the $.50 to $1.00 range.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Probably takes a while before chow is ready but I love the mods.

Been cooking on my sunflower for a while now. Don’t take long for 10 cups in the perc.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Probably takes a while before chow is ready but I love the mods.

Been cooking on my sunflower for a while now. Don’t take long for 10 cups in the perc.

It actually heats pretty fast if you can get your food positioned directly above the heat plate.

Just be careful to not get any food spilled on the heating plate, it’s a biotch to clean…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I think this is what your looking for Hotracks llc

Make sure when you Google hotracks its one word…. doah

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Make sure when you Google hotracks its one word….

Something like typing Best But instead of Best Buy ?? lol

Here’s my quick go at using a baking rack. The round one I found can be secured easily by sticking a metal object (fork or knife) between the heater grate and baking rack.

Attachments:
    1. 20151222_142025.jpg

deertracker

In the deer stand.
    DT

Attachments:
    1. 20151112_155207.jpg

andrew stanton

I made a cooking rack for my big buddy. I welded up some aluminum scrap that I had. It fits a small sandwich size griddle and a 6″ fry pan that I have. It works great. I’ll dig it out and post a pic soon.

Michael

@JoeMX1825 where did you buy the material for that?

Lund1775
    Waconia, MN

I found some at Buddyburners.com they are made for the portable buddy, big buddy and hunting buddy. 19 bucks for the portable buddy and 25 bucks for the big and hunting buddy. Made in the USA as well.

Paul Owens

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>
    Make sure when you Google hotracks its one word….

Something like typing Best But instead of Best Buy ?? lol

Neither of those are as bad as when I accidentally went to hot male . com Yeah… switched to gmail that day.

JoeMX1825
    MN

@JoeMX1825 where did you buy the material for that?

$5 at Fleetfarm in their cooking isle, I believe it’s just a cooking cooling rack, what’s nice about it is that it simply hooks on/off and there’s no worry of it coming loose and dropping whatever you’re cooking. I do have the older Mr Heater Buddy model so my bends won’t be the same as the newer Buddy model with the different front grill.

Uplander

Good thread, I could not find the cooling rack at Fleet Farm. I did find a coleman fish rack for $8. Took it apart and use one piece to make a hook, drill a small hole in the back for the hook. Otherwise it just slipped right in and I needed the hook to keep it from falling out forward.

Cooked hot dogs today, my son thinks there will be a meal at each outing

thanks for info

Attachments:
    1. big-buddy.jpg

andrew stanton

This is my contraption

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20130301_210013_975.jpg

Jim Carrey

I too am a DIY kind of guy and refuse to pay big money (for me) for something that I am perfectly capable of building on my own!

I uses stainless steel – usually purchased here http://www.bwire.com

I have been using a 4×4 wire mesh – but I am thinking about getting down to a 2 x 2 mesh – this will give the material more strength for structure. I just put a cut sheet (aviation snips used to cut) and fasten it inside a stainless frame and baM! all set.

I will post photos later, but this ends up looking a lot like what you have all posted here.

Also – GOOD POINT on not using galvanized – that coating is super toxic.

Warren Wilkinson

Found an old hibachi grate at a thrift store for a buck.Cut a pipe strap in half and cut out the top middle piece on the wire guard.Also used some alum channel to make a way to carry it on back of the buddy.

Attachments:
    1. Buddy-Heater-Cooking-011.jpg

2. Buddy-Heater-Cooking-006.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.