Help on Brushy Creek

• Husker26
    Gretna, NE

Going to the in-laws this weekend and want to try to hit Brushy. I have never fished it before but my brother in law says it is pretty good for the walleye. Problem is, he has been scouting the antlers and not the fins lately so he is of no help right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated on account of my 10 yr old son’s A D D when fishing is slow

troutsrus
    Lytton Iowa

I hope someone steps up and helps you. That lake is TOUGH . I have given up on the reservoir and we now fish the creek below the dam. They do pick up some eyes trolling accross the old road parallel with the dam. A very tough lake to figure out. Good luck

bigesox
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

You should never go to Brushy hoping to catch walleyes. They are there, but it’s hit and miss. My advice with an ADD kid would be to try for gills by fishing deep with bait. You can try about any tree. The trees along the roadbed out from the ramp about midway up the east side are decent. The points of the bays just north of the boatramp on the west side can be good too. You can also try the area behind the island on the south end. That little finger all the way back to the horsetrail bridge holds gills. Good luck.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

I would say for walleyes just bounce around hitting rock piles on the north/central part of the lake with a jig and minnow (preferably large minnows/chubs). Stay close to the old creek channel and don’t be scared of 35+ ft of water. Usually, I get them on the tops of the rock piles but they will hold in the bottom of the creek channel as well or anywhere in between. Also, slip bobber rigs and crawler/minnow are very effective on brushy. Most of the time when I get walleyes there on jigs, it is a very light bite. I don’t know why but the slip float helps when they are really finicky. Make sure there’s not too much resistance on the float though b/c they’ll spit it. There are a lot of eyes in there. Just keep on moving around until you locate some and try to pattern them. Good luck.

warrenmn
    Minnesota

Hope this isn’t too late. I have imagery of Brushy Creek “IA” up on the main page of my web site. Click on it and it should down load. If it all fits on the screen then it isn’t full resolution. I think all you have to do is click on the image then and it should expand.
    I put the out line of the current shore in a red line. Hope this helps for dead reckoning.

http://www.accuemap.com

WarrenMN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.