Broken Rods

• Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Some of these post and other events makes me want to ask how many rods have you broken in your life and how did it happen?

Other than a busted up guide (easily fixable so I don’t count it) I only have broke one rod that I remember. I just got a Thorne Brothers Power Noodle as a gift. I was so excited to get out and fish with it. I pulled out of my 5 gallon bucket and the tip was snapped off back to the 2nd guide. I never got a change to try it. Went back to TB and they helped my out. I also bought a rod case before I left the store that day.
    My brother busted an ultra light stabbing me with it like it was a sword. I don’t think you can count that as my fault. I was only antagonizing him.

I will let others call themselves out.

If you have any broken rods looking for a good home please PM me. I use them to make reamers for making fishing rod handles.

Ripjiggen

Maybe 2 or 3. I take pretty good care of my gear.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh man, this one makes my stomach hurt. Bombing across lotw in deep snow and a old chevy I threw my rods up on my dash between spots. It got real rough and the kid rolled the window as my 2 thorne rods were sliding across and it bit off both rod tips.
    I have broken 2 13 omens and both was cold weather walleye fishing jigging the river with my bait casters and they both broke on a hood set. Seemed they were cold and just snapped.
    This last full moon on Mille lacs I stepped on my g Loomis but luckily they worked with me on a replacement.
    And I have broken or lost many ice rods over the years of drinking and camping on the ice. When I get drunk I should only use rattle reels or have a leash on my rod and floaty on my phone

mrpike1973

I have broken a few mostly graphite rods in cold weather. I had one that shattered sounded like a shotgun blast scared the heck out of me. One time I shut the tailgate and broke a few.

tim hurley

Many
    Worst one was raising one into a ceiling fan on ‘high’ Have done better recently, even keep my ice rods in a carrier now.

Reef W

I think I’ve only broke one open water rod. It was a custom pike/musky rod and I snagged a huge tree branch. Winched it up to the boat, unhooked the branch letting lure fall in the water, then threw the branch overboard. It sunk down to the lure, hooked again, and snapped the end of the rod over the side of the boat smash

hillhiker
    SE MN

5 I can think of, and all soft water rods. One Compre lost a tip in a car window, and I still use it. Two carrot stick flipping rods that both broke on the hookset. One for no real reason, and the other blocked a 1 oz jig flying at my face. The last two were HMG spinning rods. Both broke while casting cranks. I love the action, but they just weren’t meant to throw cranks all day long.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Not a one because I’m sooooooooooooooo careful crazy

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I bet T style boat cleats have broken more rods than anything else.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Let start by saying someone on here is a big fat liar.I won’t mention any names but i think EP knows the fella.
    I have broke 2,one open water rod that i was using for the second time and a very nice ice rod last winter.Both in 2022.
    I guess i had a good 35-40 year run.It was bound to happen.

tswoboda

**Not including muskie fishing** I only broke 2 rods and it was 100% the rods fault both times. I know that because it was the same model rod, both times broke on the first hookset with that rod. Just cheap blanks and poor construction.

Muskie fishing too many to remember off hand. And all 100% human error lol. There’s just something about 20+ lb fish 2′ from the rod tip on 80 lb braid and a locked down drag that tends to break stuff.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Other than ice rods, I’ve broken 1 open water rod in the last 20 years. My rod was just under the front cleat and didn’t realize it when I picked it up. I heard the crunch and knew what happened. Had Thorne Bros turn the tip into a light laker ice rod.

Had a mishap while pulling a fish trap where it filled up with snow and broke about 3 ice rods. The old st Croix premier ice rods were so brittle I bet I broke about 5 of them.

BrianF

Rods broken in my 61 years of life? Only a guess here but probably 70ish?? Broke six this summer – three with one slam of my windshield walk-thru door when a 40mph gust blew it shut and took three rods with it. Too many rods to count broken in ‘T’ shaped cleats. Dozens of musky rods broken over the years, including a few that exploded while fighting fish. My latest was a doozy. Just picked-up a brand new Thorne Bros 47” ice rod…and broke the cork handle in two with one slam of the back hatch on my Tahoe. Never even used it. Fixable though…unlike all the others.

MX1825

Never broke an ice rod
    Soft water rods I think 5.
    2 under boat cleats setting the hook. 1 in a van door. 2 on hooksets that must of had nicks in the blanks. All St. Croix’s and all covered under warranty. I told them exactly what happened to all of them.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Always thought this was a cool picture of lighting hitting a rod.

Attachments:
    1. rod-breaks.jpg

2. lightning_rod.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Only a few I can recall. One was a JT panfish rod that I loved using for smaller Walleye, I broke it after catching probably 30 fish on LOW, knew it was my fault for using to light of action rod but man did I love catching smaller walleye on that rod. They handed me another one for half cost anyway. A couple other open water rods.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Quite a few… doah My dogs have taken out a bunch over the years.

Best part about breaking a rod is getting a new replacement!

-J.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve only broken one, and it was my musky rod on a snag in the MN river. Buddy broke one of my Scheel’s rod back when they had free replacements. And I’ve donated a few to lakes/rivers that ummm bounced out of the boat fully intact, each one a crazy unique story.

FinickyFish

Wait, does Scheels no longer do the free replacements?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wait, does Scheels no longer do the free replacements?

I believe it’s similar to St. Croix’s now where you have to pay like $50 for a similar replacement.

MX1825

Roadwork
    What is that 2nd picture? I think I know but want verification. Lightning???

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

What is that 2nd picture? I think I know but want verification. Lightning???

Yes. That is when lighting hits your carbon rod when you are on the water. Every fiber just blew out when it melted the resin. Luckily the rod was in a rod holder and the guy lived to tell the tail.

stjoeguy

This summer I broke one of my favorite G.Loomis rods trying to hold the rod in one hand and net a northern with the other. The tip must have gotten tangled and I heard it snap. Last week I pulled a Clam Dead Meat stick out of the rod bag and the tip was broken. It probably broke when I slid it in the bag too quickly. I’m sure there were a few caught in closing screen doors in the past. Stuff happens.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

We had a tradition of giving out a gift to each other on our annual Guys trip to LOW. We are on year 24 so we know each other well. One year I made up (4) custom ice rods and when we sat down to fish, I handed them out to the guys. Everyone proud as a peacock to have one. The buddy to the right of me sets his rod down on a bucket between me and him. The friend behind him sets the hook on a walleye and immediately says “I’m going to need some help”. Buddy to the right jumps up like he was stuck by lighting to come to his assistance. Problem was he walked directly through his brad new rod and snapped it directly in half. He was devastated. Never tied a reel to it, never had line through an eyelet. I handed him the one I made for myself, and we never looked back.

What are friends for, poop happens.

milemark_714

Too many to mention.Golf club tubes or PVC pipe keeps ice rods safe and snug.

Iowaboy1

You guys dont know how to break a rod until you break one like this!!
    Its a good example of what happens when you have too much boost, too much nitrous, too much timing and too many RPM’s!! or a combo of all of the above!

Grouse was asking about putting a turbo on his snow blower, I have boosted several small engines over the years and yes, you can supercharge or turbocharge single cylinder engines and its fun!! save for the hours spent building adapters, oil lines, etc.
    This is what will happen if Grouse puts a turbo and too much carburetor on his blower.
    Uh, back to plain old fishing rods, sigh.

Attachments:
    1. Grouses-turbo-snowblower-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Iowaboy. That is actually impressive as hell. I’d hate to see the cylinder that came out of or the crank

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

You guys dont know how to break a rod until you break one like this!!
    Its a good example of what happens when you have too much boost, too much nitrous, too much timing and too many RPM’s!! or a combo of all of the above!

I disagree, does the word “Peyronie” mean anything to you?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I bet T style boat cleats have broken more rods than anything else.

Surely pickup tailgates and SUV endgates would give cleats a run for their money.

This is what will happen if Grouse puts a turbo and too much carburetor on his blower.

Don’t be such a Debbie Downer, Sheldon. I’m about to fire up the TurboHonda this afternoon. Nothing to adding a turbo to a snowblower, the internet can’t be wrong. You wimpy 8 hp guys eat my dust, I’m getting 78 ponies out of this boosted baby now.

Hold my beer and watch this…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.