Brand new chipper lite won't start

• Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

My brand new Strikemaster chipper lite won’t start. It is leaking a a bunch of gas every time I tilt the machine. I followed all the instructions (which aren’t exactly rocket science – real simple assembly and instructions).

My hands and forearms are so sore that if I get it running tonight I won’t have the physical ability to run it tomorrow!

What the heck is going on here?!?! Help me out if you can.

Jonathan Leon

Did you turn it to the on position If it’s leaking then a hose might be loose and you’re not getting gas to the carb.

Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

Yes, it is ‘on’. I have been at it for more than 30 minutes, I feel like I’ve done everything that I can do. I can barely type at this point.

I will check for a loose hose. It only leaks profusely when I tilt the auger towards me (with the throttle in my right hand), or when I tilt the auger to my left/away from the gas tank-side.

Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

The entire machine is enclosed. If there is a loose hose it would require me to take it apart, which is getting outside of my comfort zone, and it would also signal a failure of Strikemaster/Solo’s responsibility to its customer.

fishinhunt31
    Near Lake Winnebago

I had an issue with a lazer pro that the mouth of the gas tank wasn’t square and thus would leak gas. My old Cobra made by Strikemaster needed to be vented but (from the cap’s perspective) the newer ones don’t. As was posted earlier, hard to have a hose leaking without having to take things apart. Hope this helps.

eyesonly

Not the same model but my brand new Strikemaster Mag 2000 did the exact same thing. I had to put a new carb kit in it and it was fine after that

Kent Tau

Why not just go and get it exchanged. Don’t mess with it… there’s no need to for a brand new unit

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

It’s brand new. Return for replacement-end of story. Sorry, doesn’t help your fishing today…but anything brand new should start, run and perform like such.

Don Miller
    Onamia, MN

I had a new Strikemaster 4-5 years ago with the same problem. Took it to Strikemaster. Carburetor to manifold gasket installed backwards. Before you put undue wear on your new recoil remember Einstein’s axiom about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

Thanks for the link Troutbum. Nice to know that this problem is systemic… Which of course makes me completely reconsider my brand loyalty to StrikeMaster.

I will drive back up to Gander Mountain to exchange it. As this image shows, SM is so confident in its product that page one of the enclosed paperwork is “ATTENTION! Go get this repaired instead of returning it!” #redflag

Attachments:
    1. image132.jpg

Bassn Dan

Are you sure that you’re turning the on switch to “on?” The TOP of the switch needs to point to on, not the bottom – which sounds like a common error. With gas leaking could it be that the unit has been tilted the wrong way? (Check your manual.) If so, that will plug the fuel vent and make it hard to start. With my lazer mag I prime it until the return line from the carb to the gas tank is solid gas with no air bubbles.

Good luck, and like others have said, if nothing else works take it back or to a service center.

Kent Tau

Thanks for the link Troutbum. Nice to know that this problem is systemic… Which of course makes me completely reconsider my brand loyalty to StrikeMaster.

I will drive back up to Gander Mountain to exchange it. As this image shows, SM is so confident in its product that page one of the enclosed paperwork is “ATTENTION! Go get this repaired instead of returning it!” #redflag

If its new… even with that sign we all don’t have time. I understand your loyalty but we all buy something because we either need it today or for the weekend. Store service 5 mins. Manufacturer 1 week plus. I rather do store service then manufacturer after return policy is due. I do the same regardless of the company.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

Could it be the choke is disconnected and a on position all the time flooding the engine. As mentioned make sure it turned on, I cranked & cranked this year then I saw my problem. Might also pull the plug to see if its really wet. More than likely I’d also return it for a different one soon so you can get to fishing.

Chris Cantey
    Eagan, MN

Well Gander Mountain in Wausau made it right by me (even though I had already lost the receipt).

The new StrikeMaster fired up on the second or third pull.

I even managed to sneak in 2 fruitless, but much needed, hours on the ice.

Thanks guys

Kent Tau

Well Gander Mountain in Wausau made it right by me (even though I had already lost the receipt).

The new StrikeMaster fired up on the second or third pull.

I even managed to sneak in 2 fruitless, but much needed, hours on the ice.

Thanks guys

Almost all your standard sporting goods will honor their return/exchanged policy. I’m glad to hear the headache is over. If you value your auger use amsoil 2 cycle. Plus I hope there is good repair center there in case you ever need it in the future. Good luck and stay safe on the ice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.