Braid

• Ben Poniatowski

Hey boys, I was wondering if anyone uses braid through the ice? If so, do you use a leader as well? I’m thinking of trying some of that sufix performance ice braid. Thanks for your input!

Hoyt4
    NULL

At times I do use a leader but on a few lakes just tie right to the lure. I use the Suffix braid also for the last 4 years or so.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i use suffix 832 with a fluorocarbon leader. been doing this for a few years now and i like it a lot. never have any problems losing fish and there have been a few times where i seem to catch more fish than friends who are just using mono.

Carl S

related question: do people like to use a swivel or line to line for attaching a fluoro leader to braid?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

related question: do people like to use a swivel or line to line for attaching a fluoro leader to braid?

I use a swivel personally but that’s only because ive never really bothered to learn a good knot to tie the lines together. I haven’t had any issues using a swivel.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Super small swivel that goes thru the rod eye’s, and a leader. I use braid almost exclusively.

Dan Baker

I use Berkeley fire braid with a tiny swivel and a little less than a rods length leader of 8# suffix Fluro.

MnPat1

I tie braid to flouro leader with a uni to uni knot. Typically I use 10 lb test to 10 lb test. The uni to uni knot is actually stronger than braid to swivel knot.

SW Eyes

Agree with the poster above, I always use braid when jigging eyes with spoons/raps. I usually use a mono/flouro when finessing perch/crappies. Seems a little tougher to get little jigs down quickly, but maybe I’m just imagining that.

I always use a couple of ft flouro joined directly to the braid. Best way to do it, in my opinion, for a few different reasons (less gaudy unnatural metal to turn off negatives, bangs up eyes, stronger connection, etc)

A big thing for me, slip bobber fishing doesn’t work so well with braid. If you want to slow down on some negatives, I like to always have a rod or two available that I could throw a slip bobber on that I can set to nearly negative buoyancy to elimate the floats resistance on the very tough biters. Sometimes, that, with the rod set down in a holder, is the only way to get a bite. The slightest tension in that offering will cause them to spit it. String stops don’t stick to braid and slide around on you. It’s possible to do it, but it’s a pain in the rear.

Long story short: it depends on what you’re going to do in terms of presentations/techniques. (And how deep you’re fishing. Not as much of a difference in stretch at 10 ft compared to 40 ft).

Austin Billings

I use 30# power pro summer braid because I find it all ices up. I use a uni to uni to attach 25lb seguar fluro. For chasing big lakers. For my dead stick I go with power pro to 14lb fluro to help with the natural presentation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.