Braid with Fluoro Leader

• Chad Pingel

Just watching last weeks episode and saw that you were fishing Sufix 832 with a 6′ Fluorocarbon leader. Question is, do you typically use a uni to uni knot or tie on a small barrel swivel to attach the two lines? I have seen recommendations for both.

thanks

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Personally, I never use a swivel in this situation. Uni to Uni works for me.

Duluth Fish

I love the uni to uni knot. Very clean and strong knot that slips through guides well. Picked it up fishing saltwater and use it all the time now. Unless line twist was an issue I would do back to back uni’s every time.

Tonka
    Minnesota

I also prefer the back to back uni knot….it pays to check the knot after a lot of casting and reeling fish in because that knot only holds up for so long. I’ve lost a couple lures from this but if you’re careful and check it and re-tie your knot often, you won’t have any problems.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

The modified Albright knot is easier to tie and has beaten the uni knot in every test I have seen. Also goes through guides and can be wound onto reel if you want really long leader and still cast. Uni will not play nice on reel. I switched 5 years ago and have not went back to uni. If it’s what the saltwater guys swear by for braid to flouro . Our wimpy fish are no comparison saltwater brutes.

Mwal

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The modified Albright knot is easier to tie and has beaten the uni knot in every test I have seen. Also goes through guides and can be wound onto reel if you want really long leader and still cast. Uni will not play nice on reel. I switched 5 years ago and have not went back to uni. If it’s what the saltwater guys swear by for braid to flouro . Our wimpy fish are no comparison saltwater brutes.

Mwal

Same here. waytogo

kwp
    Eden Prairie

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mwal wrote:</div>

Mwal

Same here. waytogo

3X here too. The other thing great about the modified Albright or Alberto knot is how nice it goes through your guides…almost effortlessly.

Here is Alberto demonstrating it…

joc
    Western and Central, NY

x2 Alberto knot is way to go

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

That knot does look easy, particularly when I have a hard time seeing w/o glasses in the boat.

FryDog62

Anybody tried the “FG” knot?

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

I tried the FG knot with 10 and 30 lb Suffix 832 to a 10lb mono leader and could not get it to tighten enough so it would not slide off the mono. Cool looking knot and very compact but I think the Suffix 832 braid is too slippery for this knot.

raynestorm
    Lake Wisconsin

I use the minimalist FG knot, I really like it. It is tough to get it to grab at first, but after several attempts, it gets easier to do.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

will I have to play with the fg . I use nanofil and with the alberto I use 20 to 25 wraps as it slips so much. I bet 832 need 10 wraps each way for the alberto. and need extra for the fg as well

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I tried the Alberto first time and nailed it. So easy and stuck with it, haven’t had a failure yet.

Used 832, fireline, now PP and most wraps I do is 10 each way, usually just 7-8. Never an issue. Got to make sure to loop the leader not the braid.

Chad Pingel

Thanks for the info on the Alberto (modified Albright) knot. I will give that a try. I’ve always used the Uni to Uni and this looks a like it has a lower profile and higher break strength.

Paul Delaney

I always use a uni to uni knot when attaching a leader to the Sufix 832 braid. You do not want to use a swivel this will damage your graphite eyes on your fishing pole.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I always use a uni to uni knot when attaching a leader to the Sufix 832 braid. You do not want to use a swivel this will damage your graphite eyes on your fishing pole.

Same here. Uni to uni. It never fails so I find no reason to switch.

acafisherman19

Uni to uni as well, has only broken on snags with heavier mainline and fluorocarbon.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

@FryDog62

I don’t use leaders as much as most people, but I have used this knot and I love it. Tied a solid knot on the first attempt and I’m not going to bother testing any others when I can get the profile I get from this knot. I like it so much I’m trying to think or rigging up something that will keep the main line taut when tying it, like something that with stretch a couple feet of the end of the main line.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

x2 Alberto knot is way to go

The Alberto really shines when the diameters of the line start to differ by quite a bit. I use it sometimes for tying 80-100lb braid to 150lb Fluoro

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t remember the test I use exactly but it is 65-80# main line PP to 20# fluoro I believe.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Uni to uni works great. Albright or modified albright/alberto is my preference. These are the smallest and strongest knots I know of, and like the uni they’re quick to tie (unlike some of the other alternatives). If you tie wrong the knot will fail on your pull test, and once you have some practice tying it you’ll almost never get a fail on the pull test. This year I switched from the regular albright to the modified albright/alberto because it’s just a little more forgiving when you tie it. I’ve been using these knots for three years and never, ever had one fail on a fish (usually 15# braid to 12# fluorocarbon). The biggest benefit to the fluorocarbon leader in my opinion is the abrasion resistance — it’s much tougher than braid for cranking wingdams.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.