Boat maintenance/April winter checklist?

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

I didn’t want to piggy back on another thread posted recently here but it got me thinking…
    I haven’t had it out on the water yet but,…
    With these cold temps we are going to have for a few days and the fact my boat is now out of storage from being in a heated shed, what does one do here?
    Pull batteries?
    Pull graphs?
    Be concerned about lower end taking in water with rain and snow getting in to the prop hole/shaft area?
    Etc., Etc.,…

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Keep it tilted down. Make sure lower unit isn’t cloudy if you didn’t in fall. But nothing really to worry about.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I didn’t want to piggy back on another thread posted recently here but it got me thinking…
    With these cold temps we are going to have for a few days and the fact my boat is now out of storage from being in a heated shed, what does one do here?
    Pull batteries?
    Pull graphs?
    Be concerned about lower end taking in water with rain and snow getting in to the prop hole/shaft area?
    Etc., Etc.,…

Where is your boat currently being stored? Outside, exposed to the elements or in your garage? Batteries lose power a lot quicker in cold weather and some electronics are not to be used below freezing temperatures. The good news is that this appears to be a short freeze. Its gonna be 60 again by next weekend.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bullcans wrote:</div>
    Pull batteries?
    Pull graphs?
    Etc., Etc.,…

Where is your boat currently being stored? Outside, exposed to the elements or in your garage? Batteries lose power a lot quicker in cold weather and some electronics are not to be used below freezing temperatures. The good news is that this appears to be a short freeze. Its gonna be 60 again by next weekend.

It’s outside in my driveway under a cover with the onboard charger plugged in.

B-man

Tilt the motor down and you’re good.

Nothing more needed.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Curious why tilt the motor down? I had mine out Saturday and did the usual drain at the landing. Am I missing anything here? I have an outboard if that makes a difference.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Then everything continues to drain and nothing collects in the prop exhaust from rain or snow.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I was out on Saturday on a river. When I pulled the boat out, I tilted it all the way down, started it for a second to clear out all the water, let it drain and tilted it back up. Good to sit now till this weekend! I do keep it in my garage but it’s not a heated garage!

tim hurley

Good thing my shade tree mechanic is not on this site, his rant is why is everyone afraid of cold? Heat is harder on mechanics than cold.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.