Boat Length?

• Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

Hey guys, i’m in the market for a new boat and will more than likely be fishing with 2 others and 3 at the most (mainly 3 in the boat I think rarely 4). Just curious as to what length you boat owners think is suitable? Thanks for any input!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

18′ bass boat with 3 guys casting gets a little snug, but works. Jigging/pitching with 3 guys is fine

TripleA
    Blaine

I have a 2014 Crestliner Fishhawk 1650. It is a 16’8″ foot boat in the Single Console setup. I bass fish 3 guys in it fine, not as snug as I thought it would be by any means. I have fished 4 total but its not “comfortable”. I ordered the rear fold down seat that adds a ton to the rear casting deck, the rear deck is as easy to fish off as the front, and makes the boat wonderful to fish 2 guys out of. Ultimately I think a Tiller model or Single console will fish larger than a Full windshield boat by a lot, especially in smaller class boats like mine.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

How much garage space do you have?

If speed is not a issue. 16-18ft tiller would do it trick.

A single console no smaller than 17ft.

a full wind shield boat no smaller than 18ft.

These all can change as to what presentations you intend to utilize.

FDR

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I will say how organized or unorganized you keep the floor of the boat can make a substantial difference as to the perceived amount of fishing space you have. As will the amount of experience each angler has.

FDR

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I had an 04 Monark 16.5 side council with a 78″ beam and have pitched and jigged with three people and did fine. I never would have tried 4. I then upgraded to a 09 alumacraft tournament pro 185 side council and have fished in the spring and summer with up to 5 people and did ok. 3 people trolling is about all I would do in the summer. It also in my opinion depends on the people that you have in the boat as well.

I personally would not try anything smaller then a 17ft boat with a decent beam size.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I once fished 3 out of my old 12′ 1970s Alumacraft.

I would recommend going a little bigger.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The type of fishing you do, primarily, will impact it quite a bit. If you are a walleye guy fishing jigs and/or trolling primarily you can go much smaller than if you fish musky/bass and are casting. I fish walleye primarily and my Pro V 1775 is more than enough boat for 3 people, and 4 isn’t TOO overly crowded.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I also have a 1775 Pro V and works fine for three guys (that know what they’re doing)

A long time ago we had a trailer on Deer Lake WI. We we’re sitting outside enjoying beers and a boat came flying up to our dock. Four guys Muskie fishing in a 16′ boat. One guy had a large Reef Hawg hooked in his eye. one of the sickest things I’ve ever seen. No cell phones then.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i own an alumacraft classic 165 16′ 4″ if i remember correctly side counsel. Fishing 2 is fantastic, fishing 3 is ok, fishing 4 is a bit too much. judging by your post i would think this size of a boat would work for you but, if you can afford it i would go a little bigger into the 17-18 ft range.

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

Thanks for the replies guys, I’d primarily be fishing eyes. I don’t fish bass often, if at all. I’m starting to think 4 guys is a little tight in any boat. I should also clarify I’m not getting a brand new boat but looking for a used one in the 8-12k range. Would like to keep it around 10 but we’ll see what’s up for sale.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This is pretty similar to my boat, and I’ve been very happy with mine. Could see if you could get them down a couple grand. Looks CLEAN!

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If you’re going to fish 2 most often, and 3 sometimes, you can get by with a 16.5′ boat. I had an 03 Alumacraft Navigator 165 that fit the bill for that. I’ve since upgraded to a 17’10” 96″ wide boat, but more for using on big water.

My main concern would be with the waters you’re going to fish. If you’re going to primarily fish eyes on the river, 16′ should be good. If you plan to fish big water often, 17′ or more would be my recommendation. You wouldn’t believe the difference one foot of boat can make on a rough day on Pepin, now imagine that on even bigger rougher water.

With the bigger boat comes bigger motors and bigger price tags. They also cost more to run. I have a 125 opti and a 9.9 pro-kicker, and can burn through some gas, and opti oil for the 125. I can go through a gallon of opti oil in 2 days if I’m making long runs (there goes another $40).

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Have you looked into the Lund tiller models? My boss at one of my jobs has a Lund angler 17ft tiller with a 75 horse Yamaha and you can fish with 3 people out of that with plenty of room. Its surprising how much that council holds you back from space.

Chance R.
    South Central S.D.

I hardly ever fish any river and if I did it would be the Missourri. I’d primarily be fishing NESD waters and there are a couple of big lakes I’d be out on but nothing like LOW. I haven’t given much thought to a tiller motor. I have never been in a rig that had a tiller so I really have no idea what it’s like in one or running one. I currently have a pretty old 17′ alumacraft that isn’t very deep and not roomy at all.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Hey guys, i’m in the market for a new boat and will more than likely be fishing with 2 others and 3 at the most (mainly 3 in the boat I think rarely 4). Just curious as to what length you boat owners think is suitable? Thanks for any input!

20′

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

If you don’t have to run long distances through big waves, look at a big tiller. If it will be mainly walleye, there is nothing better than a used Warrior V177 V1890 for a first nicer boat. With anywhere from a 75hp to 115 HP. I fish out of a V177 eagle and love it, small enough for little lakes and can handle big water, and good room to walk around in. Plus if you have a little coordination you can walk around the gunnels! yay peace
    And it can hold a troll line like no other. Hits the 8-12k range too.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.