Boat insurance questions

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Looks like I own a pontoon now and I would like to get it insured. I have USAA for everything but they don’t do watercraft but partner with Progressive. Anyone have any thoughts on progressive vs. someone else? I see an agent on this board chime in once in a while.

I have also had 14′ fishing boat with a 4.5hp forever and never insured it – is this something I should do for liability, or would they bundle them or something? The value is really just sentimental but I suppose in some timeline it could float off and scratch some wake boat causing 200k of damage…

Finally, how do insurance companies deal with the typical north woods boat that lives at the lake and is used by family? I got one quote and just said that I would be the driver – do people realistically list off all the grandpas and cousins that might drive the boat once or twice a year?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

do people realistically list off all the grandpas and cousins that might drive the boat once or twice a year?

Yes. I am required to declare operator(s) of the watercraft when I renew my boat insurance.

Its just like automobile insurance. There’s no coverage is someone else listed on the policy is driving.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Its just like automobile insurance. There’s no coverage is someone else listed on the policy is driving.

That’s not true. I would imagine it depends on the policy. I own a wake boat, and as such, others are routinely driving it so that I can ski and surf. I specifically asked my agent about this, and he said that the policy covers us no matter who is driving the boat.

Brad Dimond

I have USAA auto and homeowners insurance, motorcycle insurance brokered by USAA through Progressive. Pricing is competitive, service has been good (not needed much). I would expect similar results for boat insurance.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

“Yes. I am required to declare operator(s) of the watercraft when I renew my boat insurance.”

So do you have to gather all their info and does the company run all their driving records?

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I have Geico, they’re partnered with Boat USA. Nothing but good things to say so far. Only had 1 claim because my motor blew up and thankfully it was deemed coverable.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Justin is very good.
    952-938-9190 [email protected]

I also have USAA but I believe I have the toon with progressive.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Rather or not other drivers are covered or not without being listed will depend on if the policy allows for Permissive use or not. Some do and some do not. Foremost ( One of the larger boat insurance companies that insures boats ) does allow for permissive use. I would say if they don’t allow permissive use you would need to list out all possible drivers of the boat ( How much personal information is needed on them I have no idea ) As far as liability coverage for your older boat. There are several options. While towing the boat any liability that comes up is likely covered by the auto policy of the auto towing the boat ( Such as it comes unhooked and hits another auto or property ) You can also sometimes add a endorsement to you home policy that would cover any liability issues but not physical damage to the boat or theft of it. The best bet would to be just to add it to the policy with the new boat. That way you have liability coverage as well as physical damage coverage. The cost when added to a policy that already has another boat on it should be rather low based on age and value of the boat.

As was discussed here recently, I’d make sure the policy on the new boat is on a agreed on value and not a actual cost value. I would go as high as possible on the agreed value ( Insurance company will let you know if you list it to high )

If you have any additional questions or would like me to complete a quote for you, PM me with your contact info. and I’ll reach out to you.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

So do you have to gather all their info and does the company run all their driving records?

There’s only two operators listed on my policy. Myself and my wife.

Your results may vary by individual policy.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

There’s only two operators listed on my policy. Myself and my wife.

Your results may vary by individual policy.

Are yourself and your wife the only ones who drive the boat? if so you are covered just fine. If you are not, you may want to ask your agent what would happen if there was a accident or damage while someone else was driving the boat. Better safe than sorry !!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Are yourself and your wife the only ones who drive the boat? if so you are covered just fine.

Yes. And 9 out of 10 times its me.

CaptainMusky

Are yourself and your wife the only ones who drive the boat? if so you are covered just fine. If you are not, you may want to ask your agent what would happen if there was a accident or damage while someone else was driving the boat. Better safe than sorry !!!

Are boats handled differently than autos? Or is this an insurance company thing? I was told that as long as my vehicle was insured that anyone who was driving during an accident it would be covered. This was not asked regarding my boat however.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Yes. I am required to declare operator(s) of the watercraft when I renew my boat insurance.

That is not true for your Auto, and not true for your Boat with the company I work for at least. I know the Auto Permissive use is a statewide law, and if after the fact you claim you didn’t give them permission to use the auto you also have to charge them with stealing it. I haven’t heard what you are claiming with boats either, but it is potentially possible with other insurance companies.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is not true for your Auto, and not true for your Boat with the company I work for at least. I know the Auto Permissive use is a statewide law, and if after the fact you claim you didn’t give them permission to use the auto you also have to charge them with stealing it. I haven’t heard what you are claiming with boats either, but it is potentially possible with other insurance companies.

So you’re saying that you can let anyone you want to borrow or operate your boat or truck and if they get into an accident or a crash then that vehicle is covered, even if the operator is not listed on your policy?

I only have two operators on my policies, for my autos and my boat. So this is probably a moot point in my case anyways. Cousin Dave isn’t out there borrowing my boat or my truck lol.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Are boats handled differently than autos? Or is this an insurance company thing? I was told that as long as my vehicle was insured that anyone who was driving during an accident it would be covered. This was not asked regarding my boat however.

Every policy may be different. Your auto insurance company may allow permissive use of your auto while at the same time your boat insurance company may not. Even if both are insured with the same company. If you are not sure I’d simply call your insurance agent and specifically ask them if permissive use of your vehicle is allow. Ask them specifically about each policy type. You may want then to answer in a Email. That way if there is a problem at a later date you have proof of what the agent told you. If it turns out they gave you the wrong answer you have proof and can make a claim against their
    E&O policy.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So you’re saying that you can let anyone you want to borrow or operate your boat or truck and if they get into an accident or a crash then that vehicle is covered, even if the operator is not listed on your policy?

In MN with my company, yes to both. And for Auto’s in MN, yes that applies to every company. So your original post was at least 50% totally false. Obviously subject to your coverages (i.e. if you only have Liability and neighbor Joe crashes your truck, only liability applies), and Boats MIGHT vary by company, but generally speaking the coverage follows the item being covered with few exceptions.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

And for Auto’s in MN, yes that applies to every company.

I’m shocked by that.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<

In MN with my company, yes to both. And for Auto’s in MN, yes that applies to every company. So your original post was at least 50% totally false. Obviously subject to your coverages (i.e. if you only have Liability and neighbor Joe crashes your truck, only liability applies), and Boats MIGHT vary by company, but generally speaking the coverage follows the item being covered with few exceptions.

Bigwerm. I’m a little confused to what you are saying about Auto’s in Minnesota. Are you saying that every insurance is required to allow permissive use ? or are you saying that no company is allowed to allow permissive use ? I know of companies in Minnesota that do allow permissive use and I know of companies that you must state if you allow permissive use or not – Of course the rates are different if you say you allow permissive use than they are if you chose to not allow permissive use.

CaptainMusky

I’m shocked by that.

It doesnt suprise me one bit because my agent also told me that you do not have to report underage drivers (your kids) on your policy as its “their” responsibility to find out and they are covered anyway once the vehicle is insured.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<

It doesnt suprise me one bit because my agent also told me that you do not have to report underage drivers (your kids) on your policy as its “their” responsibility to find out and they are covered anyway once the vehicle is insured.

I’m not sure that is totally correct. I know some companies have wording in their policies that you must inform them once any person living in the household has a valid driver license – Including your children. You are correct in that most companies will find out once a child becomes licensed through what is called a driver discovery search. At that point most companies add the driver as a rated driver on your policy unless you can provide proof that they are insured on a separate insurance policy or not living in you home.

R Petersen

I have had my N J Manufactures Insurance Home Owners policy for 40 ? years. It covered the 16′ Lowe & the 30 hp Evinrude at NO extra cost.

Anyone LEGALLY old enough to drive is covered.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have had my N J Manufactures Insurance Home Owners policy for 40 ? years. It covered the 16′ Lowe & the 30 hp Evinrude at NO extra cost.

Anyone LEGALLY old enough to drive is covered.

I would check to make sure if that is for Liability coverage only or if covered for liability, physical damage, and theft as well. Like I said some companies will include a boat under the home policy – But that is most often for the liability coverage only. Once again a simple call to your insurance agent asking him if my boat is destroyed in a accident or stolen is it covered ???

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    And for Auto’s in MN, yes that applies to every company.

I’m shocked by that.

Why. If I lend my truck to my dad and he wrecks it my insurance is still covering it. I’ve made sure of that for many years

R Petersen

Thanks
    I Will get a update on the coverage & limits

R Petersen

I called NJM They dropped all boat coverage in 2016 !! Never told us. Maybe they have changed ?

Many thanks fishthumper. waytogo

Sylvanboat

My one and only experience with Progressive was excellent. One of their insureds hit my car and Progressive was very professional handling the claim, incl a rental car.

MX1825

I’ve had good results with Progressive. I’ve had 2 claims in 10 years.

As far as towing any trailer, if it comes unhitched from the tow vehicle your liability insurance covers any damage it causes.
    Your vehicle insurance, even with comp & collision coverage, will not cover replacement of your towed trailer (boat, utility, SxS, ATV, etc.) The unit being towed needs to be covered on some sort of policy or an addendum to some policy.

I know a couple guys that had aluminum utility trailers that had to buy new ones out of pocket. 1 was stolen and one was wrecked & totalled by someone without insurance.
    Homeowner policy covered like $1500 max.
    My $4000 aluminum utility trailer costs $14 a year to be added to my Auto policy with full coverage and $250 deductible.

R Petersen

I went with Progressive for liability only on the 1986 Lowe Aluminum. 100-300K with 100K property. $ 100 done.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Well I learned a lot about insurance in the last 2 days. Turns out I have liability coverage for watercraft under 75hp through my homeowners insurance, which could then extend to my umbrella policy if I find a way to do over $300k of damage with my boat. According to Justin and other insurance brokers the permissive use stuff in MN covers whoever is driving.

So I could have left it at liability and not gotten a specific pontoon plan, but I got a comp/collision plan through progressive with a $500 “vanishing” deductible for $100. Seems like a no brainer for a $7000 boat.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.