Boat Cover

• Clarence Chapman

Looking to get a travel cover for my Alumacraft Dominator 165.

Dont know if I should get a generic for $250-$300 or get a custom one done.

How much should I expect to pay if I try to go custom?

Anyone in the East twin cities have a contact?

Thanks
    Happy New year
    Clarence

Attachments:
    1. Boat.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Probably dependent on how often you intend to use the cover. I only use mine about twice a year so the factory one that came with it is fine. If you travel a lot and keep your rig outside then I’d probably go with a nicer, custom fit one.

Canvas Craft in Otsego will make a really nice custom one for you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve gone through 2 or 3 of the 250 dollar ones and wish I would have just got a nice snap cover.

Clarence Chapman

Thats a good point. My rig is kept indoors year round and travel a few times a year. Would like to go to Redwing if it warms up but not with an open boat I’m not.

Any recommendations for a generic cover?

Clarence Chapman

Ya that too is one of the things I am afraid of when it comes to the generic ones. Quality or more like durability is the question.

Stanley

I will second canvas craft for a cover. Had one on my last boat and while the grumpy cover I have now is ok, I think the canvas craft was better.

Clarence Chapman

I will second canvas craft for a cover. Had one on my last boat and while the grumpy cover I have now is ok, I think the canvas craft was better.

Stanley: What kind of cost was involved with the canvas craft cover?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Wyoming canvas has done some good work for folks I know. It’s part of Hallberg Marine I believe.

I got quotes from them and canvas craft for my Reata and Wyoming was half the price for the same materials.

Clarence Chapman

Wyoming canvas has done some good work for folks I know. It’s part of Hallberg Marine I believe.

I got quotes from them and canvas craft for my Reata and Wyoming was half the price for the same materials.

So I guess its REAL important to call around. Thanks

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Ballpark I would better venture $800 – $1200 for a custom cover.

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>

Stanley: What kind of cost was involved with the canvas craft cover?

I think it was around $850-$900 for a snap cover back in 2018.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wyoming canvas is great and will be making my cover this spring.

Clarence Chapman

Thanks guys for the info.
    I will check around here shortly and then see what the CFO says. LOL

Clarence

isu22andy

Thats a good point. My rig is kept indoors year round and travel a few times a year. Would like to go to Redwing if it warms up but not with an open boat I’m not.

Any recommendations for a generic cover?

Curious why not go with an open boat in the winter ? Salt spray ? I’m trying to figure out what to do with my trailer in an unheated garage . It’s already rusting the way it is – don’t really want to leave it salty !

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Wyoming canvas is great and will be making my cover this spring.

x2 ! They do nice work.

They will want you to bring it up and have a conversation about what you want. Probably looking at $1,200-$1,300 for that boat.

If you find a nice $350 over the counter cover on sale for 50-60% off, will do the job for a couple 3 years.

-J.

MX1825

I would go custom. The over the counter covers usually don’t fit the best or flop a lot if you travel with it on. JMO.

Clarence Chapman

Curious why not go with an open boat in the winter ? Salt spray ? I’m trying to figure out what to do with my trailer in an unheated garage . It’s already rusting the way it is – don’t really want to leave it salty !
    [/quote]

Ya dont want all the salt spray in the boat. Not interested in having to deal with that. If the roads are dry then will probably be more likely to consider it.

As far as the rusting…I would consider hitting the nearest to home car wash and get the salt off ASAP.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Come on clarence…rusty trailers and slimy carpet!
    You can always Start chiseling hastings and busting up ice with that clean boat lol

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I get my covers my at Kuehls Canvas in Hudson, was about $450 for my 19.5′ boat….I wish I knew it was this cheap and this great sooner and not wasted my time on the cheap covers. The material he uses doesn’t shrink in the cold, still works at -20 but is stiff and it will last forever. I was in there once and he was replacing the thread in a 20 year old cover he originally made because the thread rotted out from being stored outside. My bimini top pole bent last fall and I will take it to him to repair that also, he has also made new clear side curtains for me….great work at a great price….That price was a few years ago though so I would expect it to have gone up.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Economy Canvas is on the south side of Anoka Co 22 / Viking Blvd about 1 mile west of MN 65. If you hit the Oak Grove line / University Ave you hsve gone too far.
    He is a one man shop and not a youngster but he has done a great job repairing for me. He seems to have decent pricing.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Paid $700-800 for a canvas craft for my alumacraft 175 7 years ago. Would guess it would cost about $1200 now.

It’s starting to show some wear in some spots and about 30% of the snaps no longer work but I expect I’ll be able to get another 5+ years out of it.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I got a 2012 Dominator 175. Had a custom ratchet cover made 3 years ago by a guy in SE MN if you want to drive that far? Wasn’t cheap which I knew $1400.
    Had a 165 similar to yours with a snap cover and it was fine until those cold spring/fall days trying to snap it on when you can’t feel your hands.
    I prefer a ratchet style and IMO those cheap covers look like $hit.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have a 2008 Dominator 165 that I bought from Lacannes in 2012, it had a custom snap on cover made by Grumpy’s I believe. The cover is uses every time I take the boat out as I typically tow it at least 30 miles or more each way. the cover has only needed 1 small patch where it rubs on the trolling motor. I did have the snaps replaced the the stud part in the boat because the original ones were nickel and would break in cold weather. The stainless steel ones were put in back in 2013 and have not had any issues since.

Clarence Chapman

Come on clarence…rusty trailers and slimy carpet!
    You can always Start chiseling hastings and busting up ice with that clean boat lol

The ice is pretty thick out there right now. So I dont think its going to be a possibility this year to hit “The Spot”.

Clarence Chapman

I am surprised by the big range in pricing that you guys are telling me about. Hopefully I can find something in the 7-800 range otherwise a cheapy will have to do for a couple of years. I am writing down all the names and will check in with them.
    Thanks all again.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Another vote for Canvas Craft they do great work and stand behind it. Cost will be over a G for sure though. Totally worth the investment, I have trailered mine to and from Kenora several times plus countless other trips around Mn and it still looks good. You can load the boat with stuff and not worry about it getting damaged or flying out. With all the money we spend on other stuff to fish why not get a good cover, none of the cheapies seem to fit worth a darn IMO.

isu22andy

Ya dont want all the salt spray in the boat. Not interested in having to deal with that. If the roads are dry then will probably be more likely to consider it.

As far as the rusting…I would consider hitting the nearest to home car wash and get the salt off ASAP.

[/quote]

I did that last time – not sure it did any good . She’s old and beat up already the way it is though haha . Never even thought of the salt spray in the boat though .

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The ice is pretty thick out there right now. So I dont think its going to be a possibility this year to hit “The Spot”.

Agree! That’s why I was the last one out there before the cold snap! rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20221217-174849_Snapchat.jpg

rsee

I used to make custom snap-on covers for 12 years. Mine is currently 9 years old and in great condition. Prices will obviously vary. Material is a big factor.

I recommend spraying silicone on the snaps once a year. Do not spray it on thick as it can cause the snaps to come undone when traveling down the road. The silicone spray helps in preventing the snaps from breaking off.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.