Big bigmouth

• CaptainMusky

Where was this caught? Heckuva fish for sure.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

looks like North Dakota, nice fish! 65 lbs

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I don’t think I could be proud of killing a native fish that was probably nearly 100 years old. And for what? I doubt it was eaten. More than likely fertilizer in someone’s road ditch.
    Kill all the carp you want, I say leave the buffalo and dogfish alone.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I released a 50# back into the Minnesota waters of the sippi some years ago.
    Caught on a crank going 5 mph downstream.

I believe Wisconsin state record is 70# and Minnesota record is 40

tswoboda

Absolutely bonkers that these native fish can be speared and bow-fished. No ill will towards the guys that do it, but it’s crazy to me that states treat them like carp.

CaptainMusky

Absolutely bonkers that these native fish can be speared and bow-fished. I don’t blame guys that do it, but it’s crazy to me that states treat them like carp.

Agreed! I dont believe Ive ever seen one of these let alone caught one, but that thing is massive. TBH a lot of people probably think they are carp.

Ongo

A lot of people definitely don’t know that they are a different species native to North America. Many people in North Dakota actually call them buffalo carp.

ajw

its a fish. relax. He shot it because the game and fish says we can. Once these things reach a certain size they dont have any natural predators… cept us.

ajw

also that thing is freaking awesome. Good for that dude!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Absolutely bonkers that these native fish can be speared and bow-fished. No ill will towards the guys that do it, but it’s crazy to me that states treat them like carp.

Carp are commercially fished. On the st croix and the Mississippi they haul those big mouths out by the semi load. Bigger the better. Anglers don’t touch the quota commercial guys do. Few in mn utilize them as a table fare and fewer as sportfishing.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

its a fish. relax. He shot it because the game and fish says we can. Once these things reach a certain size they dont have any natural predators… cept us.

It’s a fish that will take nature 100 years to replace. The fact that they’re ugly or that they’re not good table fare shouldn’t exclude them from protection.
    Imagine if people were allowed to kill sturgeon for no reason other than because the government says it is ok..
    Is everything required to have natural predators?

Deuces

The dam was created in 1948-49. The Heart river at it’s widest B4 it gets to the main lake is around a football field, assuming that widened as well due to the dam.

Idk if I’m believing the century old tale, I’d bet money that dam actually created the ecosystem needed to create that monster.

Some interesting reading on the buff…
    http://www.nature.com/articles/s42003-019-0452-0#:~:text=Introduction,catostomids%20(Cypriniformes%3A%20Catostomidae).

Growth chart
    lol

tswoboda

Carp are commercially fished. On the st croix and the Mississippi they haul those big mouths out by the semi load. Bigger the better. Anglers don’t touch the quota commercial guys do. Few in mn utilize them as a table fare and fewer as sportfishing.

It’s this roughfish stigma around buffalo that doesn’t make sense to me. Reminds me of burbot from as recent as 10 years ago, and that’s changed immensely since then.

Again I’m not holding anything against anyone who bowfishes them, just think it’s crazy the state doesn’t give them any protection. It’s a massive, long-living, and slow-growing native fish… not much different than sturgeon really.

Ripjiggen

How is it any different than shooting a big buck. A big bear or a moose. Hate to break it to some but shooting a non reproductive fish doesn’t hurt much.
    Roast away!!

Karry Kyllo

If killing a large fish hurts anything or not is a whole different discussion, but what makes you think the fish was non reproductive?

Ripjiggen

From the claims of some that it was 100 years old. How is it different than shooting a trophy land animal?

tswoboda

Don’t really care if people kill them within regulations, just that right now the regulations are stupid. Buffalo should be managed like a game fish, not a rough fish.

Karry Kyllo

From the claims of some that it was 100 years old. How is it different than shooting a trophy land animal?

It’s no different but is there any reason to kill animals because they are old and large? It’s fairly easy to do in today’s world and not really much of an accomplishment.

Ripjiggen

Yet you are a hero if you kill a land animal that is old and large. jester Too funny the double standard.
    I guess catching or killing state records happens daily.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.