Best Tip Up

• Kevin Konitzer

What do you think is the best tip up on the market and why?

Attachments:
    1. E5A078E7-206C-491D-9ABE-DF873B17A1C0.jpeg

Snake ii’s

Reads like a compensated sponsor review……..

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Beaver Dam with a hole cover. The best part is it will still be in use in 10, 20, 30 years as long as the CO doesn’t keep running mine over.

deertracker

You did a great job reviewing your own product.
    DT

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

You did a great job reviewing your own product.[/quote]
    rotflol It’s funny because it’s true.
    https ://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ultimate-tip-up-2/

Kevin, are sales not going well?

404 ERROR
    MN

P.S. I forgot to add that it’s been proven that it catches more fish than a conventional tip Up as well.

rotflol
    Prove it

Brady Valberg

The old grey tripod style tipups were the best in my mind

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

My frabill and polars work great. Add a $10 light and a carpet sample underneath them so the holes wont freeze. I could by an arsenal for $150

Kevin Konitzer

Mercian Eagle,
    Glad I could make you laugh. The truth is you most likely have not fished with one so you really don’t know until you try it. Let’s stick to the question… in your opinion, what is the best tip up on the market… and why do you like them?

monstermatt
    Minnesota

I fish pro. I like to fight the fish on a rod and reel.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Ok, Kevin… I kind of feel bad for you here, so try to take this as positive criticism.

You do have a great product “on paper”. The features sound very good but in this day and age there is absolutely no reason for you to not have good video of your product in action before you try to sell it. There’s plenty of ice on certain lakes, so go film the “greatest tip up ever”. Heck send me a couple and I’ll shoot you a video. Not many will shell out $150 for something that doesn’t have a real review from an actual customer.

There’s nothing wrong with you thinking your tip up is the greatest, but be up front that this is your product. People (customers) may actually respect you. I think you have a bit to learn in the marketing field… again please learn from the negative posts above and what I’m trying to tell you. I really don’t think people dislike the product, but thinking your customers are idiots is going to get you no where.

“Check out the greatest tip up ever” “It catches more fish than a conventional tip up” If you make accusations like that explain yourself or once again, make a VIDEO!!

I do agree most anglers miss bites with only a flag or light. Seconds are crucial when dealing with negative fish. A pager is the best option and you have that, so you’re on the right track. I recommend you flood the naysayers with actual facts and info. Then simply let the customer decide. I really hope this helps you.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Deleted, sorry negative.

Kevin Konitzer

Thanks Joe,
    I honestly started this thread to simply see what everyone likes about the different styles of tip ups out there. We have been working our butts off to keep up with orders and do not have time to take a trip to northern Minnesota to fish when we will have ice here in wisconsin within a week. I agree, we need video of them on the ice, and it is coming very soon. Until then, I don’t blame people for being critical of our product, but we had to start somewhere. Ultimate Tip Up will prove themselves once people start fishing with them and seeing them out on the ice. Thanks for your input.

curleytail

Great reply by JS guide service. Any time I hear something is proven to do “xyz” makes me question it a little. How controlled were the tests? Where is the data? Was it repeatable?

I make and sell some ice rods now and then. If I said they are the best rods made and are proven to catch more fish than other rods, does that sound like a fact or I’m just trying to sell something with possibly empty promises?

P.s. It’s hard to beat the HT polar tip ups, especially for the price. I have an old Beaver Dam that’s nice as well. With a carpet sample hole cover the holes stay open quite well. I’m sure some high dollar tip ups work very well but for my purposes I’m not sure the extra money is worth it. For ME anyway – others may find them a great value.

Tucker

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

To go along with what Joe is saying. Even though this is a fishing form, don’t just come here and force your product on us. Contribute to the form other than what you are selling and people will respect you more when you introduce your product. You may see this as free advertisement but that makes us feel like we are being used, hence some of the replies.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I will stick with something that fits in a bucket. I have enough crap already to carry.

Kevin Konitzer

Ok, so I deleted my advertising to hopefully get some true answers to the question that I started this thread with.

In your opinion, what is the best tip up on the market, and why do you feel that way?

Timmy

Best functioning – beaver dam with a piece of foam or carpet to cover hole.

What i use – ht polars. End of season – i can pick up a clearance HT amd spool of line for about $12 total. They are small/compact so they transport easily.

We do a lot of remote snowmobile accessible only trips – and everything must be hauled in the otter sled. A big bulky tip-ip like that sinply takes up too much precious space in my sled. An HT goes in my rod box.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

“The Best” in my opinion
    Absolutely no freezing in the hole
    Absolutely NO resistance for the line to spool freely
    Absolutely no hindered view of what the line/spool is doing

My Beaver Dams from the 70’s still spin ultra smooth and never freeze. However they get stiff at times.

Carpet over the hole helps, but it needs to be moved to see whats happening

When I first got into ice fishing with tip-ups, the cure was a wooden box with an empty soup can inside. Get a couple pieces of charcoal going and the heat kept it working in extreme cold weather.

After fishing the piers of Lake MI, I altered some PVC rod holders on boards to resemble what we used for open water. Robbed my Mothers pile of bobby pins and that worked for a very light weight way of holding the line from my jigging rods. When lights were introduced to the market that had very light weight spring steel for holding the line, it got better. So, I ultimately got away from tip-ups and use more 36-40″ spinning rods. HT, Automatic Fisherman,….and others now have designs similar to what I have used. My only problem is line icing up at the hole.

I’m a manufacture Rep, and see a lot of new products trying to hit the market each year. The vast majority fail. Not because they are poorly designed or customers don’t want them. Because most buyers won’t touch them unless there is a sound marketing plan, customer demand, and they sell themselves. I leave meetings scratching my head because a product is a “no-brainer”, yet a buyer is set on selling the tried and true products they already sell. Unless you show them in 5 seconds that the new wheel will out perform the old stone wheel and they’ll make more money – your dead in the water. You were given some solid advice above.

Good luck on your venture

404 ERROR
    MN

With my negativity towards the OP’s product pushing aside.

The best tip-ups, IMO would be the standard thermal Frabill tip-ups or an I-fish pro. Yes, they both have their drawbacks but they work well, specially taking price into account.

Wood tip-up boxes are nothing new, but zero resistance “triggers” are. In my wheelhouse, I run rattle wheels with or without a Lindell and the old HT arctic siren tip-ups. I have never experienced anything that would prove the rattle wheel works better because the lack of “trigger”. In regards to the auto jigger, sometimes fish want the minnow jigged and sometimes they don’t.

Just remember, 100% of fishing equipment is designed to catch fishermen, not fish. Sorry, I spit the hook, but there’s plenty of fish in the world!

Kevin Konitzer

Just remember, 100% of fishing equipment is designed to catch fishermen, not fish. Sorry, I spit the hook, but there’s plenty of fish in the world!

This is where you’re wrong. 100% of our product is designed to catch more fish, period. We designed them for ourselves solely for that purpose and selling them was an afterthought. We will prove it. Until we do, I fully understand and expect all the negativity.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

have a bunch of frabills for when its cold and have the old style cheapos for when its above freezing or all frabills are out. Have enough frabills its not often need to bust out the old ones.

404 ERROR
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

This is where you’re wrong.

Sorry, my joke was taken too literally. I’m going back to bed, this no ice thing is getting to me…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I really like the Frabill Classic’s. $20 all day. I’ve gotten them for as cheap as $13 at end of season sales.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/frabill-classic-wood-tip-up/0000000006280?gclid=CjwKCAiAx57RBRBkEiwA8yZdUJZjEixQ7qU6UX5Xs6rh0TiViL-vyRVaIBFegWBGQJbvSxmuC2uySxoCIxwQAvD_BwE

I don’t notice much difference between these and the beaver dams, but I can get 2 or 3 frabills for the price of one beaver dam.

This is important because tip up fishing for me is often ‘party’ fishing, and a lot of the folks don’t have tip-ups of their own.

I can’t be sure about all the components, but I think most would agree wood is more durable than plastic when it’s extremely cold, and a finished piece of pine on Frabill tip-ups can’t be much different than a finished piece of pine on a beaver dam.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I really like the Arctic Warriors when I want to use a rod, again, the price is right and they are perfectly functional.

I’ve never used an iFish pro but they take up too much space for me.

Only problem with the warrior is the hole is pretty unprotected if it’s really cold, but I can normally deal with that.

tim hurley

Whatever you have or get check it, tweak it, on mine one side works well an another jams=I mark the good side with a sharpie. Their is a tensioner for me I want everything turning and spinning so a 6” perch can trip it. Wd40n on everything? Why the heck not-will not repel fish may even attract them-also should help repel water,

Ryan Wilson

For me, nothing beats a $12 Orignal HT Polat Ice. More than affordable, practically indestructible, and can handle any fish it hooks. Anything else is just added expense and bulk, IMO.

The only thing that really ever needs replaced are the spools when the edges break and those cost $2.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’m a Beaver Dam guy.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.