Best Tip Up

• skfishing16

I guess I’m one of the fishermen that got caught, as I’m casting my vote for a newer product called the finicky fooler. Most sensitive device I’ve come across for an open bail device and I catch all species on it using a rod and reel. So far it’s replaced my tip-downs and underwaters. Used them part of the season last year and will be putting them to the test this season. So far so good. Good value if you consider that it may replace two devices. Got hooked even deeper when I purchased the new finicky fooler hole covers recently, but looks to be a really unique design and initial outings with them look promising. Like the fact everything is compact and fits in my bucket.

tdace

Silly forum settings won’t allow me to recover my password so I had to create a new account…oh well. Anyway…

As one of the first few comments said: “This guy again.”

On just about every ice fishing forum available you’ve been pushing your tip-up on folks asking for feedback, feedback is given, questions are asked in return, and those posts/threads mysteriously disappear. I am certain that others who have commented here already have seen those interactions on other sites. The fishing industry is fickle. It takes time to build, tweak, rebuild, tweak again, field test, etc. a product before it will catch on. Even “big” companies can have a hard time getting a product to market and when they do, if it fails, it’s a bad deal. With little info on this product not many are going to jump at it. Just by saying “it’s better, it out fishes others” isn’t enough. Going on every forum imaginable saying “you’re 100% wrong” or “it’s better” isn’t going to win many friends and won’t help sell the thing. Get it in the hands of others, get it at shows where people can look at it close up, be humble when receiving feedback…instead of throwing it out there, getting defensive, and deleting conversations. Controlled testing will be essential. Are ALL factors the same when doing your comparisons? That fish has no idea if a $100 box is overhead or a piece of line wrapped around a willow branch.

It might be what you say it is…until I see it up close and/or use it I will not be convinced. It’s a $100 gamble that many of us are not willing to make based on your testimony alone. Make it more affordable, make it unique that it can’t be reproduced, and you might have something. Many of us are very crafty…years ago when the box tip-ups first started to pop up I took a look at one in a store and went home and built my own for a fraction of the cost. If I can recreate what you have for very little cost why would I be eager to buy yours?

That said…it is highly unlikely that I will ever go back to a box tip-up. Too bulky, too heavy, too much of a pain to drag on the ice. Beaver Dams are great but I gave mine away because they were too bulky and heavy. To me the perfect board style tip up would be an HT Polar spool/shaft on a Frabil Dog Bone body. Extremely light weight, compact, and if maintained properly an HT will last for ever. I have some that are pushing 30 years old and are still being used.

The box tip ups aren’t for everyone. A $100 bill for a single tip-up isn’t for everyone. Right there it becomes an very small niche market you are after. The trend is to go lighter and lighter and when you carry out many tip-ups you don’t want anything that is heavy and takes up space. That’s where I’m at. For me the lighter the better…and if I can get 10 of them for $100 great! That’s the direction I’ll go.

Justin Radel

I too have fallen for the finicky fooler, I absolutely love them and they are super sensitive.

curleytail

The couple guys that mentioned the finicky fooler: I think that’s a very smart rig he came up with. Saw him at an outdoor show a while back and was impressed. Seems like a solid design thats adjustable and a good option for those that want to use their own rod. Also very cool how everything packs down into a small flat package.

Thats a unique design!

Kevin Konitzer

Tdace
    I have been extremely humble and have put myself out there only to get feedback for the sake of improving our product. This thread wasn’t supposed to be about my product, but everyone instantly jumped down my throat. The only other site I’ve put anything on is lakelink and that was deleted by lakelink because they considered it advertising. We do have other paid advertisements out there, but sometimes all this negativity on forums can really help make you better. Anyways, I’ve heard and understand now that I’m not welcome talking about my product on this forum, so I will respect that and no longer post about it on here. Also, I wanted to add that I’ve only tried to defend myself when someone posts something that is simply false. Anyways, I’d still like to read about people’s favorite tip Up, as that’s what this forum was supposed to be about and you won’t have to worry about “that guy” starting any more threads on this site. I’m truly sorry if I’ve offended anybody in any way, as that was not my intent.

tim hurley

Am I hearing that the Finicky Fooler is more sensitive than a tip down?

Dave maze
    Isanti

The problem with asking for reviews from a public forum is that 99% of the comments are from people who haven’t used the product. When you sell your boxes, give them some incentives to review them. Ps. Negative reviews help you make your products better if you listen.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have an ultimate tip up and I have a fire house tip up. I will be fishing tip-ups at my cabin primarily at night, so most others I cannot use.
    I have not yet tried either, will be back up there during X-mas and will report back.

curleytail

Kevin,
    I wouldn’t go away but I would suggest carefully reading through the replies with a very open mind.

Point blank the original post seemed to be a secretive advertisement.

Consider running a promo or contest where you give a free tip or 2 away. Maybe post up a video of how your tipup works and ask for feedback and suggestions. If you don’t come across as pushing your product hard and it looks to be a great product the interest will come. Force the issue and you’ll push customers away.

ozzyky
    On water

Sampled the finicky foolers last yr when temps were in the mid 20s or above. Worked great. Not sure how they will hold up with really cold and wind. Probably need the finicky diverter.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Out of all the tip ups I have, I have to say I like my Beaver Dam wood round insulated one the best. They stack nicely, don’t take up much room, and don’t crack like the plastic ones when they get stuck on the ice. I do like the looks of the finicky fooler and will have to pick one of them up to try. I meant to do that last year but I didn’t see them in any stores to hold before buying. EDIT” From what was posted I think I will just order one right now.” mrgreen I wish they still made the round wood beaver dam tip ups. (if any one has any they would like to get rid of PM me)

skfishing16

Am I hearing that the Finicky Fooler is more sensitive than a tip down?

I don’t know that you could go as far as saying the FF is more sensitive than a tip-down. But I would say it can be set nearly as sensitive as the tip-down. Considering that I have caught perch as small as three inches(not to brag) on the FF you may say it’s pretty close to a tip-down setting.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

This is my favorite, I got it probably 25-30 years ago. The rubber flaps just fold out. Super smooth and the black rubber keeps the hole from freezing. I just wish I could find more of them

Attachments:
    1. 035DA085-D1C7-4756-A77C-3C31D4137ED3.jpeg

2. 054CF4A1-9C5B-4040-93DD-ED45A4D476F2.jpeg

jarrod holbrook

I run beaver dams, Jack Traps, and Indian hill traps. Lifetime investments. Some of my beavers are going on their 10th season and still as good as day 1. The Jacks and Indians run great in snow and are very sensitive. Either design has it’s pros or cons. They were all made in America by great guys which I support. I have a tip up bag that I had sewn up that they go in and it rolls up for transport. Myself and all my buddies are trying to go high speed low drag with back packs and the smallest jet sled. We all kinda decided to get back to the fishing and leave the kitchen sink at home. All the gear in the world is useless unless you can get it to the hole.

STREETBUM

The reels that are metal don’t stand the test of time, maybe if the reel was a one piece mold. The plastic reels don’t really ics up, but I do have future concern for the plastic tripper on the spool. The wing uts always get lose. Never keeping a tight tip up, that is another set up and storage disaster. The hook into the line on storage or pick up always becomes a nightmare of tangles and wasted times
    I was just looking at the ultimate set up great idea for a lazy bum like me that likes to snooze on the fish site. But I don’t see those box’s not flipping over and moving in 50mph winds. Not to forget light shinning into the hole is another fish draw that the box does’t take in account. Maybe not in 100′ of water but those close to shore set ups. Not all water being the same in clarity.
    The best backing line is a heavy waxed line, these finger cutting lines are a waste. I use a 17lb mono line as a lead line as the ice will beat your mono line up or easily cut with anything thinner. Hooks are another problem with makers not pay attention to barbs and the hook point being sharp. A good reliable swivel between the mono and the backing is very important as manufacturers just toss garbage together here.
    Something for the hands quick dry with warmth would be nice, nothing like hands turning into numb branch’s.
    Lets face it, there is no perfect day for a ice fishing person, never has been, never will be, right down to enforcement check ups….maybe just staying home, buying a great steak is the cheapest alternative. License cost are skyrocketing, gear is crippling the wallet, gas to the spot, work output to set up, picking up and putting the gear away. Always needing something else for the next trip, don’t analyze everything, or you will figure out you could be spending a week in the beautiful weather to the south, for all the hassle and money taken from your had labor for just a fish threw the ice.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Had some bad days out there lately streetbum?

big_g
    Isle, MN

wonder if the ice is thick enough for a video yet ??? doah

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

FWIW – I will have this up at the GTG next weekend for people to checkout.

STREETBUM

yup
    started my days out with a chisel and 2 brass tip ups. Made due with what I had. Today it’s a three ring multi thousand dollar circle blast. Not only that you are paying to be controlled by more law overlords.
    Flatlanders and associations that have posted their lands onto the waters illegally or legally. Every occupied house on the waters think its their back yard your drilling in to.

They should of had a buffer of at least a 1/4 mile built into a waterbody……In theory we all pay tax’s for the whole

Some gave the ultimate sacrifice for this Country, some through some green. But the protection of every water body should have been done years ago for access to everyone. This land is not a prized possession to be appraised with a price

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Big G… several videos have been posted.

I watched the video on your website, im sorry, but its worthless. No fish were shown being caught on the ice. Ooooo, look at these perch, look at this walleye! “Take my word for it, they were most definitely caught on the ultimate tip up.” we accept visa……
    Nope.

kayl

I guess I’m one of the fishermen that got caught, as I’m casting my vote for a newer product called the finicky fooler. Most sensitive device I’ve come across for an open bail device and I catch all species on it using a rod and reel. So far it’s replaced my tip-downs and underwaters. Used them part of the season last year and will be putting them to the test this season. So far so good. Good value if you consider that it may replace two devices. Got hooked even deeper when I purchased the new finicky fooler hole covers recently, but looks to be a really unique design and initial outings with them look promising. Like the fact everything is compact and fits in my bucket.

Same here. I bought one at the Milwaukee ice show and after using it on the ice loved it so much that I just bought 4 more. Yeah, I’ve got more invested into them than a simple tip up, especially when you count the cost of rods and reels, but the fun of fighting fish on rod and reel makes it worth it to me!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Warranty? Looks like several electronic devices in there.

Are they fully waterproof?

Kevin Konitzer

Warranty? Looks like several electronic devices in there.

Are they fully waterproof?

We warrantee the electronic motherboard for life which is completely seeled from the elements. The other components are all covered and protected from splashes, but not 100% waterproof if submerged.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

20 years of abuse on my beaver ds and still smooth as butter.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I couldn’t find warranty info on your site. I would find a way to make it visible.

Kevin Konitzer

COMING SOON FROM ULTIMATE TIP UP!!

Attachments:
    1. 873963F3-1750-4B28-9281-3EA430BA39A9.png

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.