Best resort to go out of in winter

• Spencer Haugen

I’m thinking on Making a trip up there this winter was curious on everyone’s opinion on the best resort to go out of in the winter will probably use a day house and bring a portable

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve only been out of Sportsman’s. I cannot complain and will likely return. Fishing wasn’t lights out, but we caught quite a few smaller eyes and saugers. They were easy to book with and everything went off without issue.

I’ll keep tabs on this post though, as I’m sure there are other resorts that are competitive and worth a look. Buddies say other resorts move houses more often and work a little harder to stay on schools with far fewer houses.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Ballards has always been nice. You want to go early or late. January is usually slow. If you can get there before Christmas that would be ideal.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I used Wheelers Point a couple years ago and they were great and man were we on fish, good size also. They had us out 26 miles. I tried to book them again last winter but they never called me back I forget who we used but fishing was not nearly as good, not that they can control that.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Sportsmans x2

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It really depends on what you want to do, and what equipment you have. If you have a sled and a portable then it’s more about the hotel/cabin. If you want a day house you can drive out to and be somewhat on your own, you are pretty much subject to Adrian’s road and all the resorts that work off of it (Wigwam, Cyrus, and I think Long Point run roads too, just not as many options). If you want the Bombadier experience and setup where there is less pressure/other traffic then you are looking at Arnesen’s, Sportsmen’s and a few others.

Coletrain27

Ballards and border view are both great. Went to arnesens once last year and it was ok but they were a little too busy and a little unorganized.

I would make reservations sooner than later. We have reservations at border view the day after Christmas.

Fishing can always be hit and miss but usually good first part of the ice and end of ice. If it’s really slow you can ask your guide if they can move you if they have extra shacks available.

Spencer Haugen

Thanks for all the good reviews guys yea I’d like to do it early in December sometime

Coletrain27

You better try to get reservations ASAP then because they tend to fill up fast first ice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.