Best Pellet Grill around $1,000

• Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Looking at getting my first pellet grill and the research is confusing. Every brand/model you have people that say it’s the best and the next review says stay away. Camp Chef keeps coming up towards the top along with RecTec. Curious your thoughts on what the best pellet grill is for around $1,000 and why?

Thanks!

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a PitBoss 850XL. It’s never let me down and I have about 300lb’s of pellets through it this year. We use it alot!

However, I’ve heard nothing but great things about a Camp Chef and my next one will most likely be one. The ease of cleaning the fire pot is what has me sold on the Camp Chef.

Keep it clean, unplug it when done and always, always, always follow the proper shutdown instructions…

IMO, it’s almost more important to use good pellets versus what brand of grill you buy. I switched to Lumberjack pellets about a month ago and it’s all I’ll use. Gone through almost 80lb so far. They produce a little more ash, but I clean mine out after 4 hours of cooking or after a long cook. Never had smoke out issues, even on a 14 hour cook.

Coletrain27

owned traegers and now a green mountain and both are great.

Coletrain27

IMO, it’s almost more important to use good pellets versus what brand of grill you buy. I switched to Lumberjack pellets about a month ago and it’s all I’ll use. Gone through almost 80lb so far. They produce a little more ash, but I clean mine out after 4 hours of cooking or after a long cook. Never had smoke out issues, even on a 14 hour cook.

ive never had pellet issues and the last couple years ive used home heating pellets. you have to make sure they are the premium hardwood pellets though. im paying about $6 for a #40 bag vs $20 for a #20 bag. never even notice a difference between them

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I am not impressed with my Green Mountain. I’ve had it for going on 4 years now and when the time comes I will not be getting another. Super inconsistent temperatures with it…like 30-40 degree swings. It makes no difference where I put the heat shield…same result. Also, the built in temp probes are wayyyyy off. I need to use an external aftermaket to even get close. Next up for me will most likely be a RecTech.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Brother in law has a rec tec and I’m very jealous of it. Very nice unit. I believe it was around the 1500 dollar mark. But the food it makes it well worth it.

I’ve had a Louisiana Grill Backyard Pro and now recently a Camp Chef SG30 ($799) which I’ve been very impressed with. After going through a lot of research I settled on the Camp Chef as they have a few features the other grills around the same price did not have such as a ash cleanout system, pellet cleanout system, adjustable smoke setting, and a sear system.

Coletrain27

I am not impressed with my Green Mountain. I’ve had it for going on 4 years now and when the time comes I will not be getting another. Super inconsistent temperatures with it…like 30-40 degree swings. It makes no difference where I put the heat shield…same result. Also, the built in temp probes are wayyyyy off. I need to use an external aftermaket to even get close. Next up for me will most likely be a RecTech.

that sucks, ive never had a issue like that. mine only swings a degree or two at most. have you calibrated the probes?

stout93
    Becker MN

Not sure you need to spend $1000 for a decent pellet grill, but if that’s your budget then go for it.

I have a Camp Chef DLX. I think they go for around $600 now.

Works like a charm. My igniter went bad after a few years. Wasn’t a huge deal to replace it though. I just use the Kirkland Brand pellets – $12.99 for 40 lbs.

CaptainMusky

Recteq has by far the best customer service and temp controller and its not even close. Their controller is so good they had to take it down from their webstore because owners of all the other brands were buying them to replace their current ones.

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Not sure you need to spend $1000 for a decent pellet grill, but if that’s your budget then go for it.

I have a Camp Chef DLX. I think they go for around $600 now.

Works like a charm. My igniter went bad after a few years. Wasn’t a huge deal to replace it though. I just use the Kirkland Brand pellets – $12.99 for 40 lbs.

I am fine not spending $1,000 but I just don’t want a “cheap” pellet grill that will be rusty and falling apart in a couple/few years.

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

Recteq has by far the best customer service and temp controller and its not even close. Their controller is so good they had to take it down from their webstore because owners of all the other brands were buying them to replace their current ones.

Yeah, I really like the reviews of Recteq. I just cannot figure out why they didn’t integrate a top shelf???

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have a couple racks of ribs and a pork shoulder in the freezer, so when you get the grill let me know. LOL

RT
    Twin Cities

I’d recommend the Rec Tec 590. I’ve had mine for 4 years and use it 3 days a week year round. Never needed to use their customer service but I’ve heard it’s top notch.

Holds a steady temp, gets hot enough to sear steaks, has an “Xtreme Smoke” function, and the WiFi controls are awesome.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I own a pitboss and have been really happy with it. That being said if I had to do it again, I’d get a Rec tec for sure. Rec- Tec has several models within your price point. If I was you I’d add a few hundered more and step up a little in size. Some great options at Rec Tec for around 1200-1300. The pitboss temp does seem to fluctuate a little more than I would like. I have a buddy who has a Rec-tec and his seems to have less Fluctuation. I also like the build quality. One thing I’ve found with all pellet grills is to make sure to keep pellets in a airtight container till time to use. Pellets will draw lots of moisture and moist pellets is the cause of a lot of the problems people have with Pellet grills. I would drain the pellets that are remaining in the hopper after each use and store them correctly. I would do this even if the grill is store inside. Just my .02 worth.

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

I’d recommend the Rec Tec 590. I’ve had mine for 4 years and use it 3 days a week year round. Never needed to use their customer service but I’ve heard it’s top notch.

Holds a steady temp, gets hot enough to sear steaks, has an “Xtreme Smoke” function, and the WiFi controls are awesome.

Do you feel the 590 has plenty of space? Also – do you miss that it doesn’t have a top rack?

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

I got a RT590 about 2 weeks ago and have been using it a bunch. I love it! The camp chef ash cleanout system is slick, but cleaning out the ash pot on the recteq isn’t the end of the world, just wear gloves.

Attachments:
    1. 20220801_203253-scaled.jpg

hottoddytipup
    Crystal

Have a Green Mountain Grill Ledge. Been very good to us. Had an issues with the circuit board but they covered the new one and overnight shipped it to me. They have also sent a lot of free parts to us for a older model we have at the lake. CS is great imo.

hnd

I have a Louisiana grill and its been really good to us. today wifi is a must though.

My next one will likely be a Yoder but they are 2k.

Recteq are nice and I still am a fan of Louisiana Grills. You can’t go wrong with campchef, or Pit boss either.

The new weber ones also look really nice but I have no experience with them.

RT
    Twin Cities

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RT wrote:</div>

Do you feel the 590 has plenty of space? Also – do you miss that it doesn’t have a top rack?

The 590 has plenty of room for my family of 5. I can easily fit a 16 pound shoulder.

I’d recommend getting the searing grates for burgers and steaks.

I had this issue with my GM and after talking to support, I was able to get it really close after changing the settings in the app (if you have a wifi model). Their customer service is pretty good I would say. The food temp probe stopped working after a year and they sent me a new probe and a new internal control box.

I was disappointed with the amount of ash in the cooking area, but this was remedied by buying better pellets

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

If more room is a concern, One or two people make an aftermarket sliding top rack for recteqs. Or I’ve seen some buy the green mountain removable rack for like $30ish if you need more space.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

Emptying the freezer before this coming deer season.

Attachments:
    1. 20220812_170606-scaled.jpg

2. 20220812_170631-scaled.jpg

Buckeye1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

ive never had pellet issues and the last couple years ive used home heating pellets. you have to make sure they are the premium hardwood pellets though. im paying about $6 for a #40 bag vs $20 for a #20 bag. never even notice a difference between them

Buckeye1

I would not suggest using home heating pellets for cooking in a pellet grill.

Buckeye1

You can’t go wrong with a recteq.

Coletrain27

I would not suggest using home heating pellets for cooking in a pellet grill.

Yea I thought the idea was crazy before too when some other people told me about it. I’m sure I have over 500# of them so far and can’t notice a difference.

Neil K

Rec teq hands down. 590 with portable top shelf. It holds temp within a few degrees, 5 yr warranty and you can smoke/grill when it is -10 out without a welding blanket it on it.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Love my Green Mountain.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.