best cabelas??

• Chris Hazen

Hey everyone what’s the best cabelas to go to. I haven’t been to one in a while and want to go. I like a big bargain cave. Also I need people that are willing to help unlike the stores in eau Claire. Rodgers owatana, prairie du chine. And Woodbury are the stores I’m looking at. Any input would be great.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Rogers and Owatonna have nice stores in my experience. I would steer clear of Woodbury though, it’s a much smaller store than the others. I’ve never been to the Prairie store.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Based on your review it sounds like they should be out of business.

I have had good luck at ALL of the above mentioned locations. Maybe you need to adjust your approach……..

KP
    Hudson, WI

X2 on Woodbury, I’m very disappointed on the Woodbury Store. Its small and seems to carry more clothes than gear. Ill keep on making trips up to Rogers rather than go to the one in Woodbury and thats coming from a guy that lives in Woodbury.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Prairie is one of the distribution centers, so if it’s not on the showroom floor odds are high they have it in the back. I haven’t been in Rogers or woodbury, but if it’s primarily the bargain cave your interested in I think Owatonna has a bigger one than pdc.

troutbum
    St. Paul

After spending a few years shopping at the Richfield, WI location, the Woodbury store feels like a strip mall version of Cabelas. Their aquarium looks like an after thought compared to some of the other shops. The Rogers location is pretty nice.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

The Rogers and Owatonna are what they call “Legacy” stores. The Woodbury store is simply a different format. For me, the best thing about the Woodbury store is to pick up online orders.
    If I just want to go and roam around I like the Rogers store
    I have had very good service at all the Cabelas I’ve been to. Some of the associates are just better and more knowledgable than others, you just have to seek them out sometimes.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The Rogers and Owatonna are what they call “Legacy” stores. The Woodbury store is simply a different format. For me, the best thing about the Woodbury store is to pick up online orders.

Totally agree. Great service addition and great way to avoid shipping.Easy returns too.

Woodbury store is simply a much smaller format.

Grouse

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Couple thoughts. If Bargain cave is a big attraction, go to the store where you think you’ll have returned, damaged gear for what you are looking for. Rogers is going to have stuff coming back from northern MN, N.Dakota and MT.

Owatonna from Iowa and SD. Bargain caves often have merchandise people used once and returned or damaged and claimed a refund.

You also are shying away from Eau Claire. That means Scheels which baffles me on customer service. Scheels to me is at the top end of customer service. I’d give them a second chance unless you’ve had multiple issues there, which I have not.

ET

Chris Hazen

My problem with scheels has been bad. With gun and fishing section. I go in to buy stuff and no one asked me if I need help. And they stand in groups of employees and talk until I go to them with my questions. And it’s the same all the time.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

The biggest and best is just south of Ann Arbor, Mi.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I was at the Woodbury location a month or so ago. While not the biggest store around, I found what I was looking for and the 2 guys working in the fishing department were very helpful in getting me what I was after.

Owatonna is closer to home so that is probably the most frequently visited store. Like a lot of the others the fishing and gun selection seem to have diminished some since they first opened but I usually don’t have a problem spending money there and never had a bad experience with any of the employees.

Can’t say much about the Rogers location. think I have only been there a handful of times.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Couple thoughts. If Bargain cave is a big attraction, go to the store where you think you’ll have returned, damaged gear for what you are looking for. Rogers is going to have stuff coming back from northern MN, N.Dakota and MT.
    ET

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t get the “Bargin Cave” and I’ve never found anything there that was a good deal. All I see is a bunch of worn out crap for 20% – 30% off. Why would I want some boots worn by a sweaty guy who took them on his annual 3 day deer hunt and then returned them smelling like sweat and rancid Old Milwaukee beer saying “they leaked”? Yeah, what a bargain.

At 70% off most of what I’ve seen there wouldn’t be a bargain.

Grouse

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>cougareye wrote:</div>
    ET

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t get the “Bargin Cave” and I’ve never found anything there that was a good deal. All I see is a bunch of worn out crap for 20% – 30% off. Why would I want some boots worn by a sweaty guy who took them on his annual 3 day deer hunt and then returned them smelling like sweat and rancid Old Milwaukee beer saying “they leaked”? Yeah, what a bargain.

Grouse

My thoughts exactly.

-J.

wkw

My favorite Cabelas is Fleet Farm.
    WKW

WarEagle

Owatonna and Rogers are the best two I have been in. Woodbury Sucks, Prairie isn’t bad, you can get whatever you want because the shipping facility is there.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

My problem with scheels has been bad. With gun and fishing section. I go in to buy stuff and no one asked me if I need help. And they stand in groups of employees and talk until I go to them with my questions. And it’s the same all the time.

I’ve had the exact opposite experience going to pretty much any Scheels (Eau, Fargo, St. Cloud, Bismarck, Sioux Falls). Often times I’ll play the game how far can I get into the store before somebody asks if I need help. I’d say it’s borderline annoying, but when I have questions somebody is always ready.

troutbum
    St. Paul

My cousin is in college and works at Scheels. The hiring process was time consuming. They dont hire just anyone with a pulse.

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

the bargain cave isn’t what it ‘used to be’.. I was in both Pdc last fall and in Owatonna three weeks ago.. the bargain caves are 1/3 the size of what they used to be.. when PDC opened.. they had deals there that blew you away.. I remember, because I broke at the time.. they had this $300 winter coat for $60.. and I didn’t have enough beans in my wallet to buy it .. now when I have a couple of nickles to spend, the cave is a shadow of its former self.. and the size alone says so..

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Grouse

I have had some luck in particular with SS props. Also, don’t forget to ask what there best price is.

FDR

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Woodbury is a waste of time unless you use the ship to store feature while ordering online. Been there twice and disappointed with the new store structure.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

As noted above, Woodbury is great for shipping to the store, or any possible returns.

It is a smaller store though, and the bargain cave is small ( just there the other day during piano lessons )

Still nice to have something other than Gander Mountain.

Paulski

Jonesy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Chris Hazen wrote:</div>

I’ve had the exact opposite experience going to pretty much any Scheels (Eau, Fargo, St. Cloud, Bismarck, Sioux Falls). Often times I’ll play the game how far can I get into the store before somebody asks if I need help. I’d say it’s borderline annoying, but when I have questions somebody is always ready.

That is pretty much my experience at Scheels in Eau Claire. They are far more helpful/knowledgeable than Gander Mountain has been for me. Sadly I have never been into a Cabelas.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sadly I have never been into a Cabelas.

Whaaaaat??? I almost feel like we need to send an IDO Rescue Squard to your house and save you.

Grouse

dbright
    Cambridge

I always hear such good things about Cabelas but I walk out of rogers disappointed and empty handed every time. I don’t mind going there and spending some time walking around for something to do though.

WarEagle

I know you aren’t walking into the Eau Claire Scheels then. Scheels employees are like flies. You have to bat them off usually because they don’t leave you alone!

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

My favorite Cabelas is Fleet Farm.
    WKW

That’s why the Woodbury store is the best 6 miles to the north is Fleet Farm. 6 miles to the east is Fleet Farm. yay toast

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

the bargain cave isn’t what it ‘used to be’.. I was in both Pdc last fall and in Owatonna three weeks ago.. the bargain caves are 1/3 the size of what they used to be.. when PDC opened.. they had deals there that blew you away.. I remember, because I broke at the time.. they had this $300 winter coat for $60.. and I didn’t have enough beans in my wallet to buy it .. now when I have a couple of nickles to spend, the cave is a shadow of its former self.. and the size alone says so..

i have to disagree. while it is true that not everything in the bargain cave is a screaming deal i have found some really nice items in there at an unbelievable price and from my experience, it is not smelly discarded crap. for example i just bought some muck boots that were brand new for 20$ normally 80$. i have purchased many jackets that were brand new at 70-80% off. in my experience a lot of what is in the bargain cave is either items that are discontinued, have a small defect on them, or, as others have said, returns. Of course the possibility is there that a return can smell like some fat dudes feet, but ill just use my nose and if it smells like crap i put it back on the rack…

buck-slayer

I too have bought a lot out of the Cave. Binos, rangefinder, hunting clothes never had a bad buy yet. But the cave at the Woodbury store sucks and that’s putting it nicely.

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

First time posting also! i have only been to two cabelas’. woodbury is ok-bargain cave is bigger than PdC. PdC store is bigger-the bargain cave got smaller since they renovated a few years ago. gander mountain is failing. their sales associates go through product training, but dont seem to have personal product experience. i was there tonight and helped inform one of their customers about the portable fish houses- and told him and his wife go to scheels if you wanna see more shelter models in person- dont know if i believe everything they tell me. finally i told them to “Find Value” at farm and fleet whistling 20% off on remaining ice fishing shelters and equipment!
    So, i would have to say cabela’s in PdC is my favorite cool

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.