Share some “Get’r Ready” tips

• scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

And now the waiting for open water begins. So while we are waiting should we share a few ideas so that nobody forgets to get anything ready?

1.) Don’t forget to check the tire pressure in your trailer tires and on the spare.
    2.) Be sure to check the registratioin on both the boat and the trailer.
    3.) Clean off all battery conectors and plug-in’s.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

New Fishing license

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Good to see you join in Nick. Along with that don’t forget a trout stamp if you are planning to fish trout.

cav90
    Chisago City, MN

When launching the boat, make sure the plug is in. I’ve launched a few times in the beginning of the year without the plug. I now have it on the top of my checklist.

timmy

Backing up a few months – make sure to do your lower unit maintenance in the fall……Better to find water in the lower unit BEFORE it freezes.

Tim

Bruce Barnum

1) Make sure PFD’s are in the boat.

2) Check the Fire Ext. to see if its expired!

3) Anchors are in the the boat?

4) Test to make sure running lights on the Bow and Stern are working.

5) Depth finders working.

6) Trolling motor(s) working and connections are tight.

7) Change lower unit lube? (if you didn’t last fall)

8) Replace Sparkplugs? (cheap insurance)

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Good to see you join in Nick. Along with that don’t forget a trout stamp if you are planning to fish trout.

Can’t help myself stuck at home, everyone (self included) is sick, and I keep waiting for a sign to pop up saying I’ve reached the end of the internet, meanwhile I post in every thread I can any 5 different boards.

I’m also a big fan of running premixed gas for the first tank to make sure my oil injection didn’t decide to quit working over the winter.

(that being said I’ve already had my boat out 4 times )

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Take off the tie-down straps PRIOR to putting the boat in the water. This will help getting the rig off the trailer MUCH easier!

ALSO!
    Don’t un-hook your winch from the boat until you are CLOSE to the water. It makes it much easier to unload the boat into water instead of unloading the boat on the ramp!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Oh yeah the tie downs… I have watched more guys try to push their boats off without removing them FIRST. Hmmmm I think the saftey chain was left on mine a coupe time too. That thing just will not come off very good at that point!!

Another tip: Make sure all your pumps are working and you have an extra set of all sizes of fuses you use in your boat.

jeffa
    Hager City

I run a little water in, to check my bilge!

gonfisn
    Bemidji, MN

Don’t forget to pack the bearings before making that long trip to the opener lake of your choice.

Double check all trailer lights and blinkers (not sure whats up with mine – they are funked up…) Thats Mondays project..

Oh yeah – don’t forget to get the new 2007 Lakemaster chip, get an anchor big enough for your boat, upgrade the bow mount if necessary, install new speakers, wax the boat, get some sweet Scenic Tackle stickers for the side of the boat, put the new tags on the boat, go put nearly 50 gallon of gas in the boat at nearly $2.50 a gallon, armor-all the seats, install marine band radio and antenna… oh wait… thats MY list!! lol

Final cost…. priceless…!!

Bring on the open water!!

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Quote:

Thats Mondays project..

If you can’t figure it out let me know and I will take a look at it.

I too have a few things to add to the boat this season. My trolling motor will be updated as will some locators. I will also be adding a new stereo and speakers. That is maybe next weekends project. Then I might try to paint the sides where the docks did a number on the finish.

Bruce Barnum

Quote:

I too have a few things to add to the boat this season. My trolling motor will be updated as will some locators. I will also be adding a new stereo and speakers.

Yep, us boys and our toys!

Ethan…Bearings very, very important to do thing!!!!!

wiskers
    Redwood Falls,MN

getting ready question for ya… I have a 1992 Merc. 9.9, took it out of the basement today and put it on the boat and in a garbage can full of water to run it for a bit. Well, I got this milky oil and water looking stuff running down the back of the motor where the exhaust comes out. What is up with that? Any ideas?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Did you winterize the motor?

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

ALMOST sounds like a cracked lower unit.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Just thought of another-remove the props to be sure there is no line wrapped around them from last season.

Bruce Barnum

Here’s a big one….CHARGE THE BATTERIES!!!!!

Bruce Barnum

Wiskers, Just asked my father-in-law, he’s worked on motors for several years, he said it sounds like your water pump isn’t working and you got water in the lower unit.

wiskers
    Redwood Falls,MN

Hummmm. I got water shooting out of the pump jet, so it appears to be working. some how the water is mixing with the oil, from somewhere. Each year I winterize the motor, perhaps if water is getting in the lower unit, how come it is blowing out the exhaust? Right below the motor where the two exhaust holes are.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.