bear 2014

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

Got a Minn tag. Baiting starts this Friday. Can’t wait. After baiting a little fishing is in order.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Good luck Glenn.

I also drew a tag this year in Wisconsin. It took me 9 years to finally get a tag. I’ve never bear hunted before but have helped my bro in law and neighbor bait in the past.

I started baiting 2 weekends ago. I only have 1 bait going. I was pretty excited to check my camera last weekend (Sat morning). The bait was gone but when I checked my camera, I only had pictures of my dad and I rebaiting. I’m not sure if my camera was aimed too high at the bait? I went back out Sat about 5 pm to adjust my camera and the cap for my bait was already knocked off. I’m hoping I will have some pictures to post next weekend.

My dad rebaited yesterday and all the bait was gone again. I’m fortunate that my dad lives up where I am hunting and can bait for me every day if necessary.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

GOOD LUCK. it sure is a rush to go see your bait gone. do you dig a hole and put big ole logs across it to keep the little critters from having a feast?????

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have heard its harder for a Wisconsin resident to get a sconnie license then for a Wisconsin resident to get a mn nonresident license. one year we had more wiscnsin hunters bear hunting in the area we hunt then mn residents.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I also drew a tag this year in Wisconsin. It took me 9 years to finally get a tag.

Who would have thunk!

A State that allows fishing for dormant flatheads in the winter would be so strict on bear hunting.

I figured the WI DNR would allow shooting them in the middle of winter and give everyone a free tag.

Good luck you guys!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

OH NO a catfish guy bearhunting!!!!!!!!!! YIKES!!!! LOL!!

SERIOUSLY GOOD LUCK!!!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

GOOD LUCK. it sure is a rush to go see your bait gone. do you dig a hole and put big ole logs across it to keep the little critters from having a feast?????

In previous years we dug a hole and covered with logs. I’m using a hollow log this year and cover it with a cap log. I can fit between 6 – 7 gallons of cookies in the hollow log. I still dug a hole underneath so I could fit 10 gallons of bait.

The zone I’ve been applying for is harder to get drawn than most in WI. There are a crap load of bears but they don’t seem to give out many tags.

Brian, It is typical of the WI DNR. I quit trying to make sense of the laws they come up with.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have a little frog in me. I never give up.

What’s right is right.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

After 9 years of applying I too had enough points to get a tag this year. Have a friend placing bait for me and was able to make it out to the site this weekend. Looks like its getting hit pretty regular. I am hoping for a 200 -250 lb bear for a good bear skin “rug” and meat…Not sure if I would not take a larger one but have been advised the weight range is the best for a rug… Thoughts?

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I hope I don’t jinx myself. But I’m trying to pick out a taxidermist ahead of time and line him/her up to skin it if I should get one. I’d like to have a rug made too. I’ve heard they are pretty spendy. I also want to line up someone to cut it up. It can be really warm the beginning of Sept.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

After 9 years of applying I too had enough points to get a tag this year. Have a friend placing bait for me and was able to make it out to the site this weekend. Looks like its getting hit pretty regular. I am hoping for a 200 -250 lb bear for a good bear skin “rug” and meat…Not sure if I would not take a larger one but have been advised the weight range is the best for a rug… Thoughts?

your info is pretty accurate. As they get older the hides seem to get or have more blotchy spots.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I hope I don’t jinx myself. But I’m trying to pick out a taxidermist ahead of time and line him/her up to skin it if I should get one. I’d like to have a rug made too. I’ve heard they are pretty spendy. I also want to line up someone to cut it up. It can be really warm the beginning of Sept.

that’s not a jinx but smart planning.as far as skinning it as long as you make the cute in the hide on the back side. Think up against the wall opposite side. You really want that hide off and fat off ASAP.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Good luck all. I can’t wait to see some pics of the beasts!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

bzzsaw:

Are you hunting in Zone “B” and if so where???

Mark

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Good luck to all, neither Olivia or I drew a tag this year

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

bzzsaw:

Are you hunting in Zone “B” and if so where???

Mark

Mark,
    I’m hunting in Zone D in the Cumberland area. We have a cabin up there and my parents live there year round. It’s convenient to have my dad bait for me. I also deer hunt in the Minong area (also zone D) and we’ve been probably been seeing as many bears as deer up there in recent years, but logistically it is not convenient for me to bait up there.

My dad baited on Monday again and all the bait was gone from Saturday. He is planning to rebait again today. I’m hoping my cabin neighbor will email me pictures this week. He put another camera on the bait in case mine still isn’t working correctly. Not sure my dad is technically capable of switching out the cards. -) That might be this weeks training session.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

bzz:

Do you have access to another bait site preferably a mile or so away… or if need be a 1/2 mile??? If you can try to start another bait, it always nice to be able to have two going… If not, no major worries, my last two in A were 1/2 mile and there were different bears at both…

Mark

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Good Luck. I applied for Mn, but didn’t get drawn. Already planning a Ontario trip next year.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

bzz:

Do you have access to another bait site preferably a mile or so away… or if need be a 1/2 mile??? If you can try to start another bait, it always nice to be able to have two going… If not, no major worries, my last two in A were 1/2 mile and there were different bears at both…

Mark

Mark, I hear you. I do know a couple friends with property I could probably get permission to put another bait on. 2 reasons I haven’t yet. 1. I’m too cheap to buy the extra bait. 2. I don’t want to ask my dad to have to do both baits.

I might try to get a second bait going the weekend of the 23rd as a plan B type of a thing.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

In previous years we dug a hole and covered with logs. I’m using a hollow log this year and cover it with a cap log. I can fit between 6 – 7 gallons of cookies in the hollow log. I still dug a hole underneath so I could fit 10 gallons of bait.

bzz:

Its not necessary to have that much bait in each tube unless you can’t get to it more than once per week. I know some guys load ’em up, but I really only put two to three gal in the pail to take out… Just have GOOD bait!!!

Again, not a big deal to start another one and I certainly understand the having “someone” else bait your stand. At least you are trying to be there most times when you can. I have tried to help friends where its become a “you do it all for me, I’ll be there to pull the trigger”, seen friendships dissolve because of it. I still say if it weren’t for the pictures all summer long, I wouldn’t bear hunt!!!

Continued success!!!

Mark

glenn57
    cold spring mn

well I did get the baits set. looks as though we have no or very few other hunters. still no activity but its early. be back at it again this coming weekend!!!!!!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

glenn:

Got lots of scent to stink them baits up??? Put some on your boots too and track it around!!!

Mark

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I think we do. I use old grease mixed with a scent called “green death” and molasses. I soak up a bunch of old rags and drag them all over then hand it in the tree by the bait station. I will try the shoe thing!!!!!!! thanks for the tip.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

had 2 of 6 baits hit!!!!!!!!!!!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Glenn, When does your season start? Ours starts Wed, Sept 3rd. Since getting my cameras working, I’ve gotten 2350 pictures between 8/13 and 8/24. Not all are bears.. coons, fishers, my dad and I baiting, etc. What a blast checking the cameras though. I’m guessing I have between 5 – 10 different bears so far. One of them seems to be getting pretty comfortable around the bait. The picture of him laying on his back made me laugh.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0257.jpg

2. IMG_0139-3.jpg

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

had 2 of 6 baits hit!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you and bzz are getting into the game!!! Trail cams are the very best, probably wouldn’t hunt bear again if they wern’t around!!!

Mark

glenn57
    cold spring mn

minn season starts sept 1 regardless when it falls. I will start sept 4th!! my son is going up labor day weekend to freshin up the baits. hope to see more activity. I did notice acorns where starting to drop which typically doesn’t fit well with hunting.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I did notice acorns where starting to drop which typically doesn’t fit well with hunting.

They have gotten sizier and are dropping over here right now also. That and the blackberries are just coming into their own right now too!!! Keep the chin up though!!!

Mark

mattgroff

Good luck to everybody. I am leaving Monday for blueline outdoors up by Mille lacs. This will be my second year in a row on a no qouta tag. Last year I was in the blind about an hour and a half and stuck my first bear at a whopping 8 yards (24ft) on the ground. One of the coolest things I have ever done. I got it all on film but I can’t figure out how to put it on here for u guys to see. Good luck to all.
    Matt.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Matt,

Have you uploaded the video to Youtube yet? If not, do that. Then just copy and paste the link here. It will automatically embed the video for us all to see.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.