Pool 4 Report

• skeets
    Apple Valley,MN

This saturday was the day for me to find some more fish for my BFL tourney coming up. Let me be honest with you and say I was better off before I went down there on Saturday! I have only been fishing the river seriously for about a year now and I have never struggled so hard as I did. I fished cut backs with flow, pads, grass, wood, sandbars, wingdams. I caught 5 fish the whole day and not a one of them was a legal. The only way I seemed to be able to put fish in the boat was fish the main channel wingdams with a crank. Carolina rigging did not produce at all. My thoughts are that either these fish have pulled off the structure and are extremely inactive or that I was throwing the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time. I know this pool holds excellent numbers of both smallies and bigmouth but i have yet to find a concentration of either in my half a dozen trips down to Redwing. Spending most of my day fishing at the bottom of the pool I got desperate and went out into pepin itself. I fished some rip rap as well as some points with nothing to show for it but 2 walleyes. Needless to say I have thoughts to sell my boat my rods and al my tackle and take up golf!!! Anyone who as ever been in the position where you have a year ending tournmey coming up and you have a little ground to make up for the mistake you made in the first tourney of the year know how frustrating it can be going into a tourney with no patterns to work with. However I will say that if you spent enough time figuring out where those fish went on the wingdams you would have a solid pattern going considering the water levels right now. This post is my official call for help. Fish hard, fish often, work is for those who hsave missed there true calling

bait_caster
    Spring Valley, Wis.

Skeets,
    I spent Saturday on 4 as well. We fished from Maiden Rock to Alma. And I have to say we struggled. However, we did manage to boat 6 keeper largemouth. The only thing we could figure out was that you had to have flow…. No flow,no fish!! In my oppinion you are on track with your theory on the wingys. I think Pepin will play a big role in this tourney. It has the most stable water in the system, and because of this, I beleive it has the potential to produce the winning weight. If I was fishing the tournament I would definetly try to put something together on Lake Pepin. With this being a no cull tourney your going to need 2 or 3 big fish. Lake Pepin has got em. Good Luck!!

Goldenboy
    Coon Rapids, MN

After fishing all day Monday on Pool 4 I would have to agree that there are some good fish in the lake. It seems that the lake has the most stable conditions for those fish and we had some luck on c-rigged tubes on the points and a couple good fish off marina rip-rap.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.