LaCrosse Target Lake Entrance Mile Marker Missing

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Okay – curious if anyone knows what happened to the mile marker on Pool 8 that was just outside Target Lake at the end of the wingdam at the front of the island (see map and arrow)? Its gone… What’s up with that? Did they spread it out and broaden the dam to minimize more erosion off the point there?

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Do you use that as a guide to run into Target? Any and what kind of fish are in Target Lake???? Just curious…

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Yes, I use to run teh channel and sweep behind the sign, miss the point and make a sweeping turn into Target… Using the south entrance is advised, as north entrance is quite guarded by rocks and sand shoals.

There are no fish in Target, just around and near Target…

Seriuously, right now you will find plenty of Northern Pike (caught some last night) and plenty of pan fish near the emergent vegitation. Certainly bass will follow and can be found, as well, but no numbers to speak of at this time.

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

how is water depthin Target? Any size to the pike?

BBBane
    Chippewa Falls, WI

What do you mean there are no fish in Target? By late
    summer, the place is crawling with hawg green bass

Oh was that a secret?

I saw a guy run the closing dam, getting in there, with
    a jack plate up high. I wouldn’t make that run, but
    he did. He also layed that big boat down on a sand bar,
    coming out of a back pocket, and we got to watch him
    abuse his 225, for about an hour, throwing roosters of
    mud and sand, moving it an inch or two at a time, getting
    off said sand bar. It was pretty entertaining, while
    we were “not” catching fish in Target Lake.

Big Bass Bane

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Somebody probably swiped it to make it difficult for others to find the lake
    Target Lake itself is very shallow through most of it. Most people get on plane and make the corner, otherwise you are going to have a rough time getting through there. There are fish in there, but it is one of the biggest community holes in the area and usually has 2-3 boats in there all the time. If you like sloppy seconds, thirds, fourths, it is a great place to catch fish, if they aren’t all caught by the time you get there

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

The marker falls or washes over from time to time. this would make 3 times in 7 years I believe.. ofcource that is assumming it wasn’t underwater when you were there. I haven’t been up that way yet this spring so I would only be guessing but it really has nothing to do with entering from the south… heck I don’t want to be anywhere close to it when I enter.

Wish I could draw you a map but then I would worry about somebody thinking they could blast through there. Really can’t because the chance of a head-on is pretty great. I just hug the edge of the trees on the shoreline south of the closing dam and make an arch about 20 feet out from shore as I go around the point. Once you get past the point by about 75 feet you are then past the closing dam. In other words there is a hole in the southwest back corner of the closing dam. I still go in there about 5 mph because boats coming up the running slough from the south to go out the hole will be blind to you or closing on you quickly even at the point, I have yet in all these years met someone coming the other way… but it is quite obvious that next time might be the first so be very careful.

The north opening from the channel to the slough is constantly changing if in no other way than water depth… so unless you are going to try low speed entry on the far right with your trolling motor why try. The sand bar is very embarrassing and has frequent company.

As to the boat blasting over the top of the south closing dam … even in high water that is kind of foolish.. the chances of a tree or stump or trees and stumps floating down the river and gettin lodged under water or partially hidden by the sun’s glare until you hit them is not such a remote possibility, so you couldn’t pay me to do it even at an idle because of the strong current behind you now in the high water and flow.

Gosh people need to repect the hydraulics of the deal more , cause if they get unlucky… they are gonna be playing with their life and the life of the passengers in their boat.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

What do you mean there are no fish in Target? By late
    summer, the place is crawling with hawg green bass

Oh was that a secret?

No secret – as others pointed out, its a communitee hole. As as you point out, fish are plentiful, but pounded all summer long.

My point was nothing was happening but pike for me Tuesday night. As for size, 18-26 inches… the annoying kind!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.