Boat Question

• rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

I own a Ranger 185 DVS… like all Rangers, it has a front deck, center Tackle Storage area. Like all Rangers, the port and starboard lockers, and rear battery storage area all have gas struts to assist in the lift (of course the real purpose is to keep them in the “up” position, I believe, for convenience).

So, the question is… Why is there not one on the center front deck lid? That lid seems to find its way onto my head when a wind or wave goes by… Can a gas strut be added to this compartment? Is there a reason one is not on this lid from the factory?

I know I can buy them through Overton’s for like $25… just want to see what others think, if other boat manufacturers install them, anyone placed one in there, or they just shouldn’t be placed in them.

Now, my intent is not to start a “Ranger” vs “Champion” exercise, but if those games begin… I will advise you… its my belief its more about the driver than the boat!

Specifcally, boats are like horses… the smaller the jockey, the faster the horse!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I think there’s no gas strut on the center panel, because that panel is an add on option. If the boat came ordered with the panel from the factory, you could have the struts installed.

I would believe struts can be added, but you have to be willing to drill holes in your boat. Just remember the Golden Rule. Measure twice and drill once…

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Per a good suggestion via a PM from one fine man (Dan, MossBoss), I email’d Ranger the question… Here is there response, for anyone who cared.

===================================================
    Yes, you can put a shock on that center storage lid. Many do, but some prefer to have it swing greater than 90 degrees, which the strut will prevent.

You can order them from our parts dept.
    Shock part #6200600 – $17.40 ea
    Uper Bracket part #6200946 – $2.90ea.
    Lower Bracket part #6200945 – $2.90ea.
    ==============================================

And, there you have it. Nice to have this forum to discuss such matters.

Have a great day!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

If you mount that strut on a slide rail and should be able to get that cover open @ almost 90°.

cufishin
    se mn

great info, plus I suppose those would work on a champion as well. Is there a number or info on anyplace a guy can get those items? The price seems reasonable an it may save a slight headache or two. thanks

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Just call Ranger Boats at 870.453.2222 and ask for the parts guys. You can also get these parts through Overton’s Gas Strut

Hope this helps!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.