How heavy a line with heavier tub jigs?

• urbanrivers

I use tub jigs alot on the river for smallmouth, usually nothing over a 1/4 oz, and most of the time either 1/16 or 1/8 with 6 pd test mono. I am really confident with the feel down to about 8/9 ft. I don’t think these tubes get down to 18 though and I think I am missing fish down there so I have gotten heavier jigs. I am not sure about how heavy a line I can go with. Do I move to 10pd or stay with the 6. I have a couple of rods rigged with 20/4 braided should I be using them? Advise would be appreciated.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Ive not fished SMB at those depths, but have fished jigs for Eyes a lot…. when you start loosing contact with the bottom and what your jig is doing, you have two choices… lighter line or heavier jig…. most of the time a heavier jig is the way to go…. the only time it is not is when the fish are really keyed in on a certain fall rate…… you could buy a deep water jigging rig if you do a lot of this….. but your current tackle should be fine and your already atuned to it….. just use the smallest jig head you can use that you can retain your feel with.. this will change based on depth, current and wind…… I like high vis line for deeper depths too… many times you will SEE a hit before you ever feel one……

for a deeper Jiggin rig, I use a 6′ medium action, with a light tip but heavier butt section…… high vis line, usually fireline, but for SMB I think I would use high vis Mono… and a spinning reel with infinite anti-reverse so you get a solid hook set……

just my 2 cents worth… this rig will work on SMB.. Ive caught them this way, as incidentals while working for eyes….

DONOTDELETE

Fishing tubes is a great way to catch smallies on the river. I’ve found that when smallies are in an aggressive mood, which is most of the time, heavier line doesn’t affect the bite.

I’ll consistently throw 17 pound mono with 1/4 ounce or 3/8 ounce jigs. However, I’m usually fishing in four feet of water or less. This heavy of line (and some use heavier) may not work as well in getting your jig down to deeper depths that you described.

Find an area that you know holds fish and do some experimenting to find the setup that will work for you.

Beaver

I`m a fan of the tube jig myself. I make my own jig heads and can fish tubes in current to depths of 20′ and never go heavier than 6# line. What you need are some heads that you can insert in the tube that weigh 5/16 or even 3/8 oz. You adjust the weight of the jig to suit the situation and the tube never gets any bigger. You can order heavy tube jigs from several places. Try Cabelas or http://www.barlowstackle.com, look around on the internet. You can use the same line, 6# is fine for most all situations. Beav

fishpig

I use 10 lb test on heavier tubes with great success. You will break off a few fish if you tangle with a real good one on 6.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.