Band saw for cutting meat?

• Don Ulin

Has anyone used a standard woodworking band saw for cutting up frozen meat and bone? I love making osso bucco from venison shanks, but I haven’t found a good way to slice them up. Best way so far is to slice them frozen with a reciprocating saw, but the saw shakes them so badly that even a vise doesn’t do a good job of holding them.

Maybe I’d need to get a special blade, which would be worth the investment — better than buying a band saw just for meat if I don’t have to.

Thanks.

Coletrain27

I’m sure a wood band saw would work but you would want a bigger tooth blade I would think. Our party use to use a meat band saw every year but we got rid of it since cleaning the thing wasn’t worth the hassle for us

iowa_josh

No, the blade might fall off. Meat saws have the blade in a groove. Borrow a hand powered meat saw.

Alex Fox

Used to work at a steakhouse in NW Iowa when I was in highschool, they cut all their own steaks. Everything in the cooler was made by Hobart. Curiosity got me so I looked them up…$13k for their cheapest saw! Hack saw or saws all it is!

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Grew up butchering cows and pigs. All I’ve used is a band saw, it’s turned a lot of cows into steak and pigs into chops.

duh queen

Get a coarse (4tpi) blade, and be prepared to do a lot of heavy cleaning after use. The meat and fat will get rancid and corrode the crap out of your machine if not removed promptly. Otherwise, there is little difference between a good quality metal working bandsaw and a good grade saw. Cheap, wood cutting, consumer grade shop saws will disappoint you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.