Automatic inflatable life jackets

• Gitchi Gummi

I’m looking at getting an automatic inflatable life jacket and am looking for suggestions. I am looking at the Onyx and Mustang ones but was hoping someone might be able to provide some feedback on these brands or other similar inflatable ones. Thanks!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My wife and I use Mustangs but there are so many similar options I cant be of any help. Happy with Mustangs. Zero deployment thankfully.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have the onyx A-24. No deployments for me either but I plan to take a dip in the lake very soon to test it out. I’ve had it 2+ years now so it’s time for a new recharge kit.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have two of the Overtons Elite XP’s. They’re nice jackets and are very similar in design to the Onyx. I got them this spring and have been using them every trip. They broke in and loosened up nicely and are pretty comfortable to wear. No deployment yet…

Best part? I got them on a pricing mess-up from Gander for $20/ea…

Gitchi Gummi

Also – I’m curious how the sizing works out for you guys? It seems like they are all a one-size fits all type deal.. I’m average size (5’10” 170), so I think I should be safe in the one size fits all department but I’d be interested how the sizing works for others.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Jake,
    If you’re buying locally make sure you check the testing instructions. In fact, I would test it before you walked out the door or at least before you get on the water.
    I’m not so worried about the inflator, it’s if it holds air. So blow it up by mouth and check for leakage. Most of the time it leakage can be heard. It should hold air for 24 hours.

In checking with Float Tech the service people there were telling my that many complaints they’ve heard are from people that weren’t aware they bought a manual inflate pfd only. I suppose there is a use for them, but I can’t think of it. Ensure it’s Automatic inflate (optional manual inflate is fine too).

Most of the refills are around or just under $20. Might want to check on the brands recharge kit you purchase. The Co2 cartridge won’t ever need to be replaced unless it’s been discharged but what ever triggers the discharge will need to be replaced every year or three depending on brand.

Glad you mentioned size. Assuming you fish in some cold weather and not just on fair weather days, you’ll want the largest pfd you can wear, yet still be snug enough not to come off. A good way to test this is to have someone try to lift the pfd off you while you have your arms extended over your head. If the pfd goes up to your face or is pulled off, it’s too big. Most of the collar styles have a chest band that stop this from happening.
    Remember nothing can be worn over the top of a inflatable with the exception of Float Tech. They have a Rally jacket that opens up using velcro.

Last thing I’ll point out is to ensure you are comfortable in the brand that you buy. Some of the collar styles rub around your neck and/or inhibit casting. If you don’t feel comfy you aren’t going to wear it and that pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the inflatable.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

thanks for the info BK. I purchased a cabelas auto inflate 3500 series. I don’t think they sell it anymore. I thought I remember you posting instructions or a video of how to test it in a different post. could you provide that again?

I have an Onyx a-24 and a Mustang HIT. For what it’s worth, I find the Onyx more comfortable. The Mustang can adjust to fit a larger person. I’m 6′ @ 200. My wife can adjust the Onyx for a good fit, the Mustang, not so much. I’ve not tested or had any issues with either. The Mustang is less than a year old, the Onyx is going on three years.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

This is for Float Tech’s. Your PFD testing instructions may be different.

A. User Inspection
    Check your PFD between outings to ensure that the CO2 Cartridge is properly armed; that it is free from rips tears or holes and that all seams are securely sewn; and all fabric, straps, buttons and zippers are still strong.
    LEAK TEST – This test should be performed every two months and at the start of each boating season.
    • Orally inflate the PFD and leave to rest for 12 hours. (I do 24 hours)
    • If the PFD remains full of air after 12 hours the chamber is operational.
    • If the PFD deflates, the device is no longer operating. Please contact
    the manufacturer or certified inspector.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Automatic Inflator
    1) To test your inflatable PFD armed in automatic mode, you will need:
    Your fully armed PFD, and rearming kit approved for your PFD.
    (Rearming Kit includes a 24 gram 1/2 inch thread CO2
    cylinder, bobbin, and green indicator clip, see page 8-9).
    2) Put on the PFD.
    3) Get into shallow water, just deep enough that you can stand with your head above the surface. Once the inflator is under water the PFD should automatically, fully inflate within 10 seconds.
    4) See if the PFD will float you on your back or just slightly back of vertical. In a relaxed floating position, verify that your mouth is well above the water’s surface. Note the effect of where you hold your legs on how you float.
    5) Get out of the water and remove the PFD. Remove the used CO2 cylinder
    and the used bobbin (automatic inflator element) from the PFD inflator. Deflate the PFD using the oral inflator.
    6) Let the PFD dry thoroughly. REARM AND REPACK the PFD in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions! Refer to section 4, page 8 of this manual.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s the full instruction if you are interested.

Attachments:
    1. FT-HRA-R5_USCG_Owners_Manual.pdf

Rod Bent

I have Cabela’s and really like mine. Like Biggill I have to test mine and re-arm it this summer. Waiting for warmer water though!

Jonesy

I have the Onyx am24 and I have had two deployments. 1 the pull cord caught onto my windshield of my boat and when I went to stand back up and pulled it an inflated life jacket and also soiled my pants LOL. The second time I was testing a prop I forgot to put the plug-in I jumped out of the boat was walking down the ramp to put the plug in the ramp ended the water went from waist-high to chest I and when I leaned over to put the plug in it was just enough to saturate that pill and it inflated then. Overall I wear mine every single time I’m on the water it’s to the point where I don’t even notice it’s there

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

My onyx self inflated when left in the boat under the cover in really hot, humid weather. However, I’ve worn it all day in pouring rain and not had an issue. I really like the fit and comfort in the onyx. I even wear it ice fishing.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

If I follow this site enough, BrianK has an XL FloatTech still for sale. If he does I would jump all over it, had I not bought 2 from him already…

mallardmayhem
    Spicer, MN

I own 3 of the Cabela’s 3500 vests and very comfortable vest. Although I was recently stop by a warden and asked to see my life jackets. I pulled them out along with a throwable. He then asked if that is all I had as I only pulled out 2 for myself and the other in the boat. He then asked if I had any normal life jackets as he inflatable life vests don’t count as life jackets unless worn. I have never heard of this rule and he stated that it should say on the vest. I handed one over to him and it doesn’t say such a thing on them. These are type 2 vest which he said may be different. Have any others heard of this ruling? I have now thrown others life jackets but don’t want them in there for room saving.

bla

I was going to buy a manual/auto inflate last night at scheels and the associate did tell me if it is not worn it does not count but a fully auto jacket is okay to not be worn. First time I had heard this.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

most inflatables are not counted as a PFD unless wore is spot on. try putting one on when it is inflated…

buy some cheap vests and put them on the back of every seat, then wear your inflatables and when asked show the vests on the back of the seats everyone is happy.

just remember in MN at least, PFD’s must be “Readily Available” however the throw able must be “Immediately Available”

At least that is My Understanding on the matter….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

If I follow this site enough, BrianK has an XL FloatTech still for sale. If he does I would jump all over it, had I not bought 2 from him already…

Thanks for the reminder MNFISHHUNT. That was sold this spring.

I don’t recommend storing any auto inflate below deck for the reason Matt explained. If there’s any water in your haul and it gets warm it becomes a sauna down there. I’ve heard where they’ve inflated in a compartment and are extremely difficult to remove.

What each inflatable should say ON the inflatable.
    1) US Coast Guard Approved
    2) What type it is. Most inflatables are TYPE V (although the USCG and manufacturers are dropping the TYPE designation)
    3) Whether it must be worn to be recognised and a legal PFD.

Most auto-inflator PFDs are classified as type V devices. This means that they meet federal carriage requirements for PFDs provided that they are used as directed, and that they are worn at all times while on board. In addition, they are not approved for persons less than 16 years of age.

Type II – Inflatable recommended uses and features:
    Intended Use:
    For serious inland and near shore cruising.

Minimum Buoyancy:
    34 lbs. for adult size.

Additional Information:
    Not guaranteed to turn unconscious wearer face-up.

Advantages: very comfortable, more buoyant than Type II Inherently Buoyant jackets.

Disadvantages: High price; may be manual or automatic.

There are many Type V (special use) inflatable jackets that provide Type II performance characteristics.

Inflatable PFDs are not meant for children under the age of 16.

Type I Inflatables will have some inherently buoyant material in them but no one makes them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I was going to buy a manual/auto inflate last night at scheels and the associate did tell me if it is not worn it does not count but a fully auto jacket is okay to not be worn. First time I had heard this.

VERY misleading statement. Forget the ticket…it’s not safe.

>Personally speaking< having to wear the inflatables is the best part of their features!

I can spend $29. to save my boat seat from drowning. Why would I want to spent 3-6 times as much to make sure my boat seat is protected with a pfd?

hnd

i have a fleet of the cabelas ones. not had one inflate but they are comfortable enough that i just wear it all the time now when in current.

we bought all ours on sale for around a hundo.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Let’s make this more confusing for the border waters family angler shall we?

IF stopped by a LEO of MN On the MN Side:
    Less than 10 years old.

IF stopped by a LEO of WI On the WI Side:”No state law, boaters must abide by Federal Regulation, which requires that all children under 13 wear a PFD, while on federal waterways in this state.”
    WI LEO’s do not enforce this CG rule.

But the US Coast Guard trump’s WI.

“In states where no children’s life jacket law is in place, a U.S. Coast Guard interim rule requires children under 13 on moving boats to wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved life jacket that fits.

This rule does not change or supersede the existing law in states which have life jacket laws, it only applies to states that have no laws.

Please note that these laws provide boaters with the minimum age that a child is required to wear a life jacket. It is still a parent’s responsibility to decide if a child should wear a life jacket, even in situations where the law does not require it.”

In MY opinion which might be different then yours, everyone wears a PFD before leaving the dock. Not only does this cover all the laws, it’s the safe thing to do.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I’m posting this because “something is better than nothing”. (public service) )

You won’t see me wearing one but the Onyx M-24 Manual Inflatable Belt Pack’s are becoming more popular.

They are Coast Guard approved Type V’s but will not turn you over if you hit your head on a boat that didn’t see you and comes on board.
    Extreme comfort and much better then tying a PFD to your leg.

Certainly not as good as the vest or collar type for keeping your head above water.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And lastly…

Coast Guard Announces New PFD Labeling

By Jeff Riecks, ASA Standards Coordinator

Recently the US Coast Guard (USCG) issued a final rule entitled Personal Flotation Devices Labeling and Standards. The rule became effective on October 22, 2014 and removes references to type codes in its regulations on the carriage and labeling of USCG-approved personal flotation devices (PFDs). From the rule published in the Federal Register / Vol. 79, No. 183 / September 22, 2014, the USCG states: “Removing type codes from our regulations will facilitate future incorporation by reference of new industry consensus standards for PFD labeling that more effectively convey safety information, and is a step toward harmonization of our regulations with PFD requirements in Canada and in other countries.”

Existing PFD labels include type codes to identify the level of performance of an approved PFD. Types I, II, and III refer to wearable PFDs (lifejackets) in decreasing order of performance. Type IV refers to throwable PFDs, and Type V refers to any PFD conditionally approved as equivalent in performance to another Type. In addition, the regulations previously specified which USCG-approved PFDs were acceptable for certain applications. Most carriage requirements for inspected vessels identified the appropriate PFD by approval series (the first six digits of a number assigned by the USCG to approved equipment), whereas carriage requirements for uninspected commercial vessels, recreational boats, and sailing schools specified type codes.

A study initiated nearly a decade ago suggests that users do not adequately understand PFD type codes. In an effort to address this problem, the regulations will change as follows:

Definitions

Personal Flotation Device (PFD) – a device that is USCG-approved under law.
    Throwable PFD – A PFD that is intended to be thrown to a person in the water.
    Wearable PFD – a PFD that is intended to be worn or attached to the body.
    Requirements

No person may use a recreational vessel unless:
    At least one wearable PFD is on board for each person.
    Each PFD is used in accordance with requirements in the approved label.
    Each PFD is used with requirements in its owner’s manual, if the label makes reference to such a manual.
    No person may use a recreational vessel 16 feet or more in length unless one throwable PFD is on board in addition to the total number of wearable PFDs required in (a).
    Exemptions

Canoes and kayaks 16 feet or more in length are not required to carry a throwable PFD.
    Racing shells, rowing sculls, racing canoes, racing kayaks and sailboards are not required to carry PFDs.
    Stowage

Each wearable PFD must be readily accessible.
    Each throwable PFD must be immediately available.
    Clearly, with the huge number of PFDs in use today on boats, in stores, and still being manufactured, it will take some time for these changes to be seen by the boating public. One USCG representative stated recently that it might take two years for the new labeling to appear widely. This calls to mind a few questions about the impact to us as recreational boaters, sailing school owners, and sailing instructors:

What about existing Type Code PFDs that are already in use? Any USCG-approved PFD that is still serviceable (in good condition) may still be used. There is NO NEED to DISCARD EXISTING PFDs unless they are not serviceable!

Jake Jacobs

Not all inflatables MUST be worn … should be worn, YES! If they have the window on them to the mechanism, they do not HAVE to be worn.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ve never understood why someone would buy an inflatable and not wear it just because a law says you don’t have to….seems extremely foolish and short sighted imho. When you don’t wear a PFD you risk your safety and the safety of others.

I would compare it to motorcyclists that don’t wear helmets just because it’s not a law. Never made any sense to me.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jake, could you show me one that doesn’t have to be worn to be legal?

I’ve heard about them and looked for them but can’t seem to find one.

Jake Jacobs

The window shows the indicator if the CO2 is properly loaded! (clear plastic window). Again, wear the damn PFD … most DNR guys are not clear on the rules either.

Attachments:
    1. a33.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.