ATVs in Really Cold Weather

• tornadochaser

Been doing some ATV shopping, and since it will mainly be used for ice fishing, curious as to how the various brands do in really cold weather, and if you have any tricks to ensuring the machine starts when sitting out on the ice, maybe after an overnight of fishing would be great.
    looking at early 2000’s hondas and polaris models, say 350-500 CC to narrow it down.

Coletrain27

Having a good battery and running a little isopropyl alcohol in the gas will help any machine you decide to go with.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I learned that my wheeler 2012 Honda Foreman 500CC you need to crack the throttle slightly when starting super cold temps. Someone said there was a grease that freezes in the choke assembly.

Either way it works great only when super cold.

Those batteries do not hold up to cold as well as a car battery. Honda being a slushbox type transmission they really are sluggish shifting until they are warm which seems like forever.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My 05 rancher started every day 2 years ago on lotw. Minus 25 was average temp for the 6 days. My can am was another story. Buddies sportsman didn’t start. Thise older Hondas are amazing machines

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I own a 2000 and 2006 Sportsman 500. Older is carb and newer is EFI. Both are great starting in the cold. The 2000 has NEVER failed to start in the cold and I’ve been in some brutal stuff with it. For me the key is a battery tender when the machine is sitting for long periods and I never had good longevity with the Fleet Farm ATV batteries. Switched over to the Moose and those have proven well.

munchy
    NULL

If the machine is EFI be sure to have a couple fuel pump relays with you if the temp is super cold. Most(if not all) brands have been known for relays to freeze in super cold weather. I learned that the hard way before I knew about the issue.
    Also a kit of fuses that match all the various ones found on your particular machine.

Ripjiggen

Don’t let it sit for hours on end in the cold without starting it a few times.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

2009 Honda foreman trx500fm. Never had a starting using. Never used a battery tender. Store in a non-insulated pole barn and left on the ice overnight (never more then one night though). Northern MN. It definitely needs to be choked and primed but has always started…and yes, let her warm up before running.

Ice Cap

It helps running 91 octane non ethanol fuel. That’s what all my toys, lawnmowers chainsaws anything gets. Makes starting in cold weather easier and sitting stored for several months like you’re lawnmower will start right up in spring at least mine does..

haleysgold
    SE MN

It helps running 91 octane non ethanol fuel. That’s what all my toys, lawnmowers chainsaws anything gets. Makes starting in cold weather easier and sitting stored for several months like you’re lawnmower will start right up in spring at least mine does..

I was told this is not true. Running 87 octane actually burns hotter.
    Don’t know know but was told for cold weather, run 87 and it’ll start much better?
    That’s not including storage and not running for the cold eeather months.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>

Don’t know know but was told for cold weather, run 87 and it’ll start much better?

In both my atvs I only run 87. But thats not for any real reason.

munchy
    NULL

Don’t think octane matters unless you’re running a high compression engine.
    However fresh non-oxy is the best for any engine to prevent fuel related issues.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I agree with others that non-oxy fuel is important, and a well taken care of battery is important. It also helps to have plugs and general maintenance up to date that you could otherwise ignore for a summer machine. I had a small crack in my throttle cable that would freeze up from moisture, which made starting in extreme cold hard because you couldn’t give it gas – just a weird thing that would have not mattered otherwise.

I always also carry one of those jump start battery things if I am running overnight with only the atv pulling the house.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have a carbed Polaris 500 HO and it sits in an unheated shed at the farm, no battery tender. Fires up every time, even after sitting for weeks.

I think the keys are good fuel, a good battery, and the right winter-weight oil.

If I were ice fishing, I’d be carrying one of those LI jump start packs. Sooner or later that extra boost will come in handy.

Grouse

hdog3385

Since the original poster is looking at early 2000 models it may be worth checking out how the carb is jetted. My 2005 Sportsman 500 came from the factory jetted for 40 degrees, that’s pretty fat for winter running. Shouldn’t really hurt anything at start up but you won’t get peak performance either. I say shouldn’t hurt anything at start up because I could swear mine fires quicker since I jetted down.

hdog3385

I should also say I agree with Grouse. Good battery, fuel, and a lighter oil in winter. I also do carry a Noco gb40 lithium ion jump pack when using the wheeler or snowmobile.

MagicManMn
    SE MN

All good information, as with Grouse, carbed Polaris and always starts. Non-oxy, a few ounces of Briggs and Stratton fuel saver in every five gallons of gas (use in all my smaller engines and outboard) and good to go. Did have a problem using StarTron in snowblower several years ago. Don’t know if that was the cause but switched to Briggs in everything on a trusted mechanic recommendation and haven’t had any issues since. Can be hard to find though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Early 2000s honda should have back up pull start as well

dbright
    Cambridge

I have always been able to get my old foreman 450 and rancher to start in any temp. Anything below zero I start with pushing the primer on the carb. Both pull start easy if the battery isn’t up to it. We spent a weekend on red 6-8 years ago and never saw it above-26. My foreman was the only wheeler that started all weekend.

dbright
    Cambridge

Depending if you plan on using it for more than ice fishing the rancher was much nicer to trail ride then the foreman. They both were capable of doing the same amount of work power wise but the rancher would wheelie easier when pulling logs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Depending if you plan on using it for more than ice fishing the rancher was much nicer to trail ride then the foreman. They both were capable of doing the same amount of work power wise but the rancher would wheelie easier when pulling logs.

My rancher was the best machine I’ve ever owned. I regretfully sold it and kick my self every time I think about it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d be carrying one of those LI jump start packs. Sooner or later that extra boost will come in handy.

Power packs are a good fail safe to have in an situation involving a battery. I keep one in my truck year round and could also use it on my cranking battery to start the outboard if I ever have to. At the very least, a set of jumper cables if not a power pack.

It makes sense that an ATV starting battery would lose its charge a lot quicker than a car or marine battery, simply because its sitting out in the cold and its smaller. Smaller batteries lose energy quicker than large ones do.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

running a 2010 brute force 750i. Keys for me: keep an extra fuel relay handy, as someone else mentioned. This is a small cost for peace of mind; I haven’t had to use mine yet but if the forums are of any indication I will eventually. Using a lower viscosity oil for winter. I typically try to drop down to 5W-20 if I can find the rotella. Summer I run 10W-30 or 10W-40 depending on what is cheap and available. The weight makes a notable difference in cranking, I may even consider a 0W-20 this year since I’ll be relying on the plow a lot at our new home.

Always keep the tank FULL. This leaves no room for moisture to condense on the walls and run down into the fuel. This is true for everything I own that is gas powered and not driven daily. Non-oxy is ideal, I wish we could get 87 non-oxy but 91 is just fine by me.

And finally, If I’m planning to stay out all day in real cold weather, either starting the wheeler and letting it run for a bit every now and then or I also tend to Bring a small coleman solar panel that plugs in like a battery tender. While I don’t expect it to charge the battery fully, it does seem to keep the juice flowing and helps with cranking after a long day in the cold.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ive read about guys putting their 4wheeler inside their pop up fish house and running the big buddy for 30 min or so if they have starting issues and that has helped.

possibly an option that could help if all else fails

tornadochaser

Thanks for all of the insight and suggestions guys. Makes my model selection easier knowing that I shouldn’t get stranded out on the lake after an overnight in the shack if it gets really cold as long as I do a little prep ahead of time.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.