Rear Suspension

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Can you buy heavier springs for your rear suspension on a 2003 500 MRP Auto? We do a lot of 2-up riding while going ice fishing and/or dragging deer out of the woods. When doing that, the rear suspension squats some. I would like to go with this option vs. buying a 2-up machine. I hardly use the one I own. I need to go with the cost effective option.

cdn
    West Central, MN

A friend of mine added stiffer springs to his Polaris 500 and it definitely helped. It wasn’t a difficult job and it wasn’t too expensive. However, if you trail ride you may notice a stiffer ride on the flip side.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

A friend of mine added stiffer springs to his Polaris 500 and it definitely helped. It wasn’t a difficult job and it wasn’t too expensive. However, if you trail ride you may notice a stiffer ride on the flip side.

Thanks. I’m not worried about trail riding. In fact, I haven’t put more than a mile or two on that thing in a couple years. Dragging deer and ice fishing is all I use it for. I use the sleds primarily for ice fishing. However now that I live down in Rochester, I may be able to use the wheeler more on the ice.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My shocks have a suspension adjustment. You can actually do it with a large vice grip or channel lock. There is a tool Polaris sells to do it as well. It worked well for mine. I was having the same issue with my 800.

Roofer
    Minnesota

You definitely can buy stiffer springs. If you are in a situation where you are hauling heavy and don’t need the plush ride, you can strap the A arms together so it doesn’t squat to the ground. The Polaris suspension really can’t handle a whole lot if you are towing. It just squats too easy.

In your situation though, I would look into some stiffer springs.

Or you could buy a 2 up machine and, ummm, let’s go riding……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.