Changing oil on a Polaris ATV

• hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I bought a 2005 Polaris 400 ATV. Does anybody know if there is anything quirky about changing the engine oil on it? Use only Polaris oil & filter or is aftermarket ok? Naturally the owners manual recommends to use only Polaris brands, but doesn’t say it is a must. The wrench symbol is showing up on the display, I don’t know if this means it is time to change the oil or if something else is wrong.
    Any help would be appreciated.

seeds
    Bluff Country

Nothing qurky and yes other brands of oil are fine. The wrench is up on my 06′ X2 ever since my first due maintanence. No, worries.

birddog
    Mn.

Aftermarket oil and filter are fine. As far as the wrench light goes…it does turn on when your due for a service, “oil change”. I believe but don’t quote me, the wrench symbol will come on at start up and flash for a while (20-30 sec.) and turn off. That means it’s due for a “service”. The light needs to be reset or it’ll stay on…not sure the sequence to shut it off though?? If the light is coming on and staying on the machine needs to be looked at.

Check out and register on “ATV Connection”, great forum, great group of guys, especially in the polaris forum!! Any ATV question has an answer on that site! I think someone not long ago posted a cross reference for the oil filters, have to use the search function but I’m pretty sure it’s there somewhere…or just ask.

BIRDDOG

Roofer
    Minnesota

I usually do my own oil changes on atv’s also. I always use the Polaris oil and filter. It’s cheap enough and you don’t have to search around.

Just a suggestion…..why not contact a dealer and see what it costs? Sometimes it doesn’t cost very much, and they also go over the rest of the machine.

Not saying it’s necessary, just a suggestion. Heck, I’ve seen people that never did change oil in their atv.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Yup, the wrench is your sign. I did mine for the first time last fall when I purchased my 03. I just went to the local dealer and picked up the kit. I think it was around $30.00 or less. Took me about 3 beers to figure what plastic to remove etc… You can get the manual online. It gives you the codes to reset etc… You just need to register with Polaris I believe. Good luck!!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Thanks guys. Local dealer wants $65 to change the oil & filter, so that’s why I am going to do it myself. I will check out the AVT forum for sure. Do you buy Polaris oil or Amzoil or other synthetic brands? Got the manual online and it says 0-40 synthetic oil is recommended.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Any brand synthetic in that weight will do fine. Last year I used Arctic Cat Syn only because of convienence and cost.(it came as a kit with filter) Before that Mobile one. Probably Mobile 1 next time.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I am running Polaris simply cuz I was able to get a Polaris kit at a reasonable rate. So I thought…having never bought one before.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.