Seafoam and ATV’s

• tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Good morning guys,

I have a ’95 and ’97 Polaris Sportsman, 400 and 500 respectively. What is the best amount of Seafoam to run through a full tank of gas, in your opinion?

Thanks!

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Rate Per Gallon

Read the Can….

Dog

taz
    Frederic wi

One ounce of seafoam per gallon of gas.
    For mixed gas it would be 2 ounce per gallon of gas

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

FULL CAN TREATS 20 gallons

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What problems are you experiencing that you feel you need to add Seafoam at all? What’s wrong or happening with the ATVs?

Seafoam is a strong fuel system detergent. It can help with certain fuel system, injector, and carb issues, but only in limited circumstances.

If you’re thinking that Seafoam “treats” or somehow “neutralizes” ethanol or prevents condensation or phase seperation, this is 100% urban legend BS. Engines are NOT tested to run on high concentrations of detergents, so constantly adding them is as likely to harm your engine as it is to help it.

If your engines are running poorly, fix the problem. Otherwise, run on fresh fuel and don’t add untested additives unless needed.

Grouse

dairycat

If your just treating the gas I would go by the amount recommended on the can. If you want to clean your fuel system I would put half the bottle in each atv. I have been using seafoam for quite sometime with no ill affects. Cars, small 2 stroke engines, boat, anything that burns gas i use it in.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

1 ounce per gallon. Maybe a little more if for a reason.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I’m having some idling and starting problems with the 400. It probably requires a tune up and some carb adjustments, but before I spend the money on that, I wanted to add a bit of system treatment to see if it improves.

I also wanted to know if there were any other faithful Polaris owners who knew the engines better than I did, and had any tips.

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

How did it come out. I think its good stuff.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I’m noticing a better idle in the 400. She sure smoked once the Seafoam was added, as was to be expected.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good to hear.

Nicky mayer

Not a reply to your question but I have one …how long after adding seafoam til I can try starting my quad ?

haleysgold
    SE MN

Not a reply to your question but I have one …how long after adding seafoam til I can try starting my quad ?

You don’t need to wait. Make sure it mixed with the gas in the tank or can. It doesn’t need to “sit” in the gas to treat it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.