ATV Tire Pressure

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Just got a new to me ATV. purchased on here from jackfish. Thanks for the quad bud! Its a 94 Yamaha Timberwolf 250 cc 4×4. Anyway ive only driven it around the block a few times so far and the tires are very squishy! To the point its difficult to turn. I read through the owners manual and it says tire pressure should be 3.6 PSI with the lowest being 3.2 PSI and the highest being 36 PSI. Im relatively new to ATV ownership, having only had one other one for a short stint in the past, so i was surprised to hear such low numbers. I checked the tire pressure in all 4 tires using the low pressure gauge that came with the quad and they are all around 3.5.

Is it normal for the tires to behave this way on hard surfaces? I imagine on softer surfaces like snow and sand and dirt it wouldn’t be so squishy. Should i add more air for riding on hard surfaces like pavement and ice? In what circumstances would you want to inflate these up to 36 PSI!? I know when people go off-roading in trucks they deflate their tires to avoid punctures.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Getting everything ready for ice fishing and want to get all my ducks in a row

Post edit: i think i may have slightly misread the manual. it says max tire pressure 36 PSI when seating the tire beads. It says on the next page that max PSI should be 4.0 PSI

CaptainMusky

Typically stock atv tires have very soft sidewalls and what you are experiencing is normal. I think you would like the performance a little better on the street or hard surfaces with 10psi, but softer will ride nicer in the rougher terrain. You may want to run at least 5Psi if you are in any terrain with rocks or something similar because you could risk a puncture with low psi. I run 10 in my quad and it works for me. Its also possible your shocks are past their expected lifespan too. They can be replaced cheaply.

munchy
    NULL

ATVs do not drive well on hard surfaces. Take it for a spin in the dirt and see how she feels.

tradersbayrookie

The lower psi will allow for a wider footprint which benefits traction in snow and sand. I air down to about 5 on my ranger when im loosing traction in the snow and it helps quite a bit. Just dont get too crazy on the throttle. If you go too low, youll need bead locks to keep the tire on the rim or youll be in a world of hurt.

Ive got a rip rap shoreline thats pretty steep, i can climb right up it with low tire pressure because the tire will more or less grab ahold of the rocks.

CBMN
    North Metro

I usually ran about 5 psi in my ATV tires and it seemed fine for most all of my use.

Coletrain27

3 psi is very low. i would try 10psi and take it for a ride. i run 10-12 in my side by side onroad and off. theres really no right or wrong number. whatever is comfortable for you.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Just got a new to me ATV. purchased on here from jackfish. Thanks for the quad bud! Its a 94 Yamaha Timberwolf 250 cc 4×4.

3 psi is very low. i would try 10psi and take it for a ride. i run 10-12 in my side by side onroad and off.

Huge weight difference and I suspect tire size, in the those two machines.

3 to 5 psi in a 250cc ATV is right at what is called for by the guys who built the machine.

Coletrain27

Yea your right, you better not go over 5psi or the whole machine will explode! jester

Like I said there really is no right or wrong answer. Look at the tire rating on the sidewall and I’m guessing the tire is rated for higher than 5psi. Just giving my opinion

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

4-5 psi is fine. ATV tires really like to grab the pavement. Just remember to never (if possible) run the ATV in 4×4 on pavement. Also, if you are a big guy, riding a 250 is like riding a kids bike. You will be squishing the tires down pretty good.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

ATVs do not drive well on hard surfaces

He’s right, the tires usually have an aggressive tread and they aren’t designed to drive on the pavement.

My neighbor drove his on the residential suburb street last week and started ripping by at 40 mph and the cops show up pretty quick to cite him.

JoeMX1825
    MN

check your toolkit (if your atv has one) otherwise pick up a low pressure tire gauge at a store or online. They are nice to have because they read the low pressure much better than a typical tire gauge.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.