ATV licensing/title from third part for transfer

• Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I’m kicking around purchasing a used 3Rd party atv and have some questions for someone with more experience. Below I have an old post but it is really dated now. What do I need to do the transfer correctly? I talked to the DNR and they said nothing about a registration card, only a bill of sale and there are no titles. They said they don’t do liens, so they suggested I also call the Secretary of State. They will do a debtor search for $20 online to see if there is a lien so I assume that covers it. If there was a lien would it show on the original purchase paperwork anywhere if they have that? Assuming that is clear am I missing anything else to do before I leave with it? Do I really need a registration card to transfer it as suggested in the post?
    Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! I had an issue with a boat trailer that I’m not looking to repeat.

Old link

404 ERROR
    MN

No card needed, just easier. Simple bill of sale is all that’s needed. There are no titles in MN and if buying from out of state where the vehicle has a title, it means nothing here. If you really feel the need to check for a lien, go for it. Ensure your bill of sale has a sentence or two calling out that the vehicle is lien free and make sure they sign it.

The registration card is pretty sloppy, there is a small chance the vehicle could be registered with an error in the VIN. That’s where having the card is nice. Ensure the VIN is correct on the BOS and the reg card (if you have one). I have personally bought a used ATV in MN where the actual VIN was not what it was registered under. The DVS office was very accommodating and worked with me to get it fixed. At the end of the day, it’s essentially the honor system since the vehicles do not have titles, just certificate of origin, which pretty much means nothing.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m kicking around purchasing a used 3Rd party atv and have some questions for someone with more experience

Just so we aren’t missing the question, what’s a “3rd party” ATV?

Are you talking about just buying a used machine from a private seller (as opposed to a dealer)? Or is there some other complication here when you say “3rd party”?

If you really feel the need to check for a lien, go for it.

I’m wondering how it would matter on something that has no title? Who would ever know and/or how would they check? With a titled motor vehicle the secuirty interest is listed on the title. ATVs have no title, so where would the security interest even be registered?

Grouse

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Good clarification, I mean private seller/non-dealer.
    I have no idea how a lien would work as I’ve allways paid cash for toys. I did get a new quote last week and was offered financing so I have to assume the bank knows which machine they paid for and would care some how.
    At least one I looked at was an original owner, but never registered, so if I go that route I still need to research that.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’ve always wondered what 3rd part meant…who is the “2nd party?”????? Seriously curious.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.